A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Marketplace
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Le Poseur



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old June 21st 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Bill Sornson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,098
Default Le Poseur

RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 20, 3:00 pm, Zoot Katz wrote:

Thanks for the link. I like seeing nice jersey designs.

So what if you sucked me in. I'm not buying one anyway. Neither would
have most of the complainers bought one so there's no harm done.
Several regular posters tout their web sites without being derided as
spammers.


The regular posters are regular guys and behave in regular ways - for
the most part! They don't resort to schizophrenic third person
chicanery. It might seem like a fine difference to some, but it's
not.

The odd thing is the guy actually does have some nice stuff. For the
life of me I can't figure out why he'd feel it was necessary to blow
smoke up people's asses to sell it.


BINGO.

(Although his stuff is way overpriced IMO.)


Ads
  #32  
Old June 21st 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Zoot Katz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 941
Default Le Poseur

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:26:50 -0400, David Kerber
wrote:


Several regular posters tout their web sites without being derided as
spammers.


True, but they usually let you know up front that they are touting their
own web site, rather than coming on as "hey, look at the cool site I
found." There was a guy who tried that with his wetsuits a while back,
and received pretty much the same treatment as Rick.


Perhaps "commercial trolling" should be considered a new category of
so-called spam. The product linked in the post is topical for the
limited number of groups in which it was cross-posted.

It wasn't EMP by any method of measurement.

Guerrilla marketing has its own risks, I guess.

I still like the jersey designs. The custom made jacket with your
event numbers is fantastic.
--
zk
  #33  
Old June 21st 07, 07:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.marketplace
Bill Sornson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,098
Default Le Poseur

Zoot Katz wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:26:50 -0400, David Kerber
wrote:


Several regular posters tout their web sites without being derided
as spammers.


True, but they usually let you know up front that they are touting
their own web site, rather than coming on as "hey, look at the cool
site I found." There was a guy who tried that with his wetsuits a
while back, and received pretty much the same treatment as Rick.


Perhaps "commercial trolling" should be considered a new category of
so-called spam. The product linked in the post is topical for the
limited number of groups in which it was cross-posted.

It wasn't EMP by any method of measurement.

Guerrilla marketing has its own risks, I guess.

I still like the jersey designs. The custom made jacket with your
event numbers is fantastic.


Acting like "just some guy" who "just happened to stumble" on the website
when in fact he owns it is dishonest. Period.


  #34  
Old June 21st 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.marketplace
John Forrest Tomlinson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,564
Default Le Poseur

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:41:43 -0700, "Bill Sornson"
wrote:

Acting like "just some guy" who "just happened to stumble" on the website
when in fact he owns it is dishonest. Period.


I can't believe I agree completely with Sorni about something, but I
do.
--
JT
****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
  #35  
Old June 21st 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.marketplace
RicodJour
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,142
Default Le Poseur

On Jun 21, 6:17 am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:41:43 -0700, "Bill Sornson"
wrote:

Acting like "just some guy" who "just happened to stumble" on the website
when in fact he owns it is dishonest. Period.


I can't believe I agree completely with Sorni about something, but I
do.


That is the wonder that is Usenet. You guys get to hold hands and
sing Kumbaya, _and_ we deliver a ****-storm of on-point criticism to
someone who probably never saw it coming.

Generally, the feedback on such an activity (Wow! Look what I just
found!) outside Usenet would be in dribs and drabs and not
particularly constructive. The perp...sorry...the alleged perp would
probably not learn from the experience. Enter Usenet where spankings
are everyday occurrences, and a broad sampling of
misfits...sorry...posters would weigh in with their opinions.

The OPerp (trademarked, sorry) seems a good-natured sort, and I'm
willing to discount his transgression as an abundance of youthful
exuberance.*

R

* Offer good for a limited time only. Void where prohibited by law.

  #36  
Old June 21st 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.marketplace
RonSonic
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,658
Default Le Poseur

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:33:06 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

On Jun 20, 3:00 pm, Zoot Katz wrote:

Thanks for the link. I like seeing nice jersey designs.

So what if you sucked me in. I'm not buying one anyway. Neither would
have most of the complainers bought one so there's no harm done.
Several regular posters tout their web sites without being derided as
spammers.


The regular posters are regular guys and behave in regular ways - for
the most part! They don't resort to schizophrenic third person
chicanery. It might seem like a fine difference to some, but it's
not.

The odd thing is the guy actually does have some nice stuff. For the
life of me I can't figure out why he'd feel it was necessary to blow
smoke up people's asses to sell it.


Over the years I've met some number of salesmen who just do stupid **** like
that. They'll have a perfectly legitimate, if humble company with decent
products and some reasonable hope of expansion - then exaggerate to the point of
discrediting what they've really got. Or this bogus testimonial / sock puppet
thing - I don't get it. Why lie when the truth is available and perfectly
suitable to your intentions.

Oh well.

Ron
  #37  
Old June 21st 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.marketplace
RicodJour
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,142
Default Le Poseur

On Jun 21, 9:40 am, RonSonic wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:33:06 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

The odd thing is the guy actually does have some nice stuff. For the
life of me I can't figure out why he'd feel it was necessary to blow
smoke up people's asses to sell it.


Over the years I've met some number of salesmen who just do stupid **** like
that. They'll have a perfectly legitimate, if humble company with decent
products and some reasonable hope of expansion - then exaggerate to the point of
discrediting what they've really got. Or this bogus testimonial / sock puppet
thing - I don't get it. Why lie when the truth is available and perfectly
suitable to your intentions.

Oh well.


There's a current thread in the construction groups where a
manufacturer makes a totally outrageous claim - that their plastic
product that allows grass to be driven on (think honeycomb) can
support 97,000 pounds per square foot, or 1.2 fully loaded semi-
tractor trailers on every square foot. I find such claims insulting.

R

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Le Poseur [email protected] General 72 June 22nd 07 05:10 AM
Le Poseur Ozark Bicycle Techniques 42 June 22nd 07 04:31 AM
Le Poseur Ozark Bicycle Rides 42 June 22nd 07 04:31 AM
Le Poseur Ozark Bicycle Techniques 13 June 22nd 07 01:00 AM
From wannabe to poseur -- My New Coker! BraveSirStupid Unicycling 20 June 26th 06 11:17 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.