Season opener

Old April 23rd 09, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

Default Season opener

Last weekend was the season opening road race. Most years someone
pulls something together on an earlier weekend but that didn't
happen this year.

The course features endless rollers. I think if you calculated
elevation gain per distance it would have as much climbing as
any local race, but it comes at you bit by bit. People come off
the back one by one, and it doesn't happen until the rider is
completely blown. It isn't uncommon at all to see a rider at the
top of a climb really struggling to turn the pedals. It's a
deceptively brutal loop.

The featured race had political intrigue and betrayal as a small
group got away on the last big climb and established a winning
gap, which they couldn't find the cohesion to maintain until the
finish. So they were swallowed up within sight of the finish line
and it came down to a sprint.

As I was following races and watching this I had the Metropolitan
Opera broadcast on in the car. The program was Siegfried, the 3rd
work in Wagner's Ring Cycle. I had it on pretty loud, it was very
appropriate. In a disquieting sort of way. No dragons though.

Bob Schwartz
Old April 23rd 09, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
cycledogg

On Apr 23, 10:43*am, Bob Schwartz
wrote:
[...]

I really like racing those rolling loop course!
Rick in Tennessee
Old April 23rd 09, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark & Steven Bornfeld

Bob Schwartz wrote:
[...]

Somehow Siegfried seems more appropriate than what Leth used in "La
Cours en Tete" which I'm pretty sure was David Munroe and the Early
Music Consort of London playing dances from Terpsichore by Praetorius.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old April 24th 09, 07:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
Bob Schwartz wrote:

[...]

My favorite part is when the bird gives Siegfried the gift
of hearing what people are really saying and Mime is lying
his head of at Siegfried and Siegfried keeps replying to
what Mime is _thinking_. What a hoot.

--
Michael Press

Team LA wins comeback opener DirtRoadie Racing 0 September 15th 08 05:49 AM
Very high turn out at cross opener Bret Racing 0 September 8th 08 09:08 PM
Dylan opener [email protected] Rides 0 August 2nd 08 05:04 PM
beer opener dropouts [email protected] Mountain Biking 5 July 26th 06 03:51 PM
Bontrager Seatpost-Bottle Opener Diablo Scott Techniques 3 March 19th 05 01:49 AM