Poor ****ing in front

Old March 2nd 10, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Squat'n Dive

Default Poor ****ing in front

Given:
FRONT DERAILLEUR
Shimano Altus, 34.9mm clamp, top swing

CRANKSET
Shimano FC-M36108, Octalink spline, replaceable rings

Question:
Which of the two, if any should I change to get the thing to shift
smoothly and quickly
(to the tune of ultegra) and to what should I change? I'm also a cheap
******* club member: money are an issue.

Full spec for my hardware is he
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=38431
Old March 2nd 10, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 2, 12:15*am, "Squat'n Dive" wrote:
Given:
FRONT DERAILLEUR
Shimano Altus, 34.9mm clamp, top swing

CRANKSET
Shimano FC-M36108, Octalink spline, replaceable rings

Question:
Which of the two, if any should I change to get the thing to shift
smoothly and quickly
(to the tune of ultegra) and to what should I change? I'm also a cheap
******* club member: money are an issue.

Full spec for my hardware is hehttp://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=38431

Generally speaking, poor shifting is not a derailleur problem but an
adjustment problem. Shift to your smallest gear and see if there is
any slack in the front derailleur cable. It should be tight. Lubricate
the cable particularly when it goes through the cable guides under the
frame or by the bottom bracket. Make sure that it is properly centered
and at the proper distance from the crankset. A bike shop will adjust
the front derailleur for a few bucks. However, if it keeps shifting
poorly, it will be cheaper to replace the front derailleur than the
crankset. The crankset will not affect shifting performance unless
the rings are bent, wobbly, or if the crankset is lose.

Again, unless components are damaged, poor shifting is an adjustment
problem. Focus on maintenance before you start replacing if you want
to save $$$$.
Old March 2nd 10, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Mar 2, 2:15*am, "Squat'n Dive" wrote:
Given:
FRONT DERAILLEUR
Shimano Altus, 34.9mm clamp, top swing

CRANKSET
Shimano FC-M36108, Octalink spline, replaceable rings

Question:
Which of the two, if any should I change to get the thing to shift
smoothly and quickly
(to the tune of ultegra) and to what should I change? I'm also a cheap
******* club member: money are an issue.

Full spec for my hardware is hehttp://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=38431

I'm assuming that you refer to Ultegra only as a reference and you're
not actually proposing to use an Ultegra FD on this bike, you likely
want to stick with a mountain derailleur if you end up replacing it.
I want to say that Deore XT is roughly equivalent to Ultegra in
Shimano-speak, but don't hold me to that, my knowledge of MTBs is a
little shaky.

nate
Old March 2nd 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel[_2_]

On 3/1/2010 11:15 PM Squat'n Dive wrote:

There's your problem: front's for peeing.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

Old March 2nd 10, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 2, 12:01*pm, N8N wrote:
[...]

For front mechs the difference is mainly cosmetic. A well set up Altus
will shift splendidly, especially the top swing version. Just follow
the directions he

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

Gotta get the cage angled right and every thing else will fall into
place.
Old March 3rd 10, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Squat'n Dive" wrote in message
Given:
FRONT DERAILLEUR
Shimano Altus, 34.9mm clamp, top swing

CRANKSET
Shimano FC-M36108, Octalink spline, replaceable rings

Question:
Which of the two, if any should I change to get the thing to shift
smoothly and quickly
(to the tune of ultegra) and to what should I change? I'm also a cheap
******* club member: money are an issue.

Full spec for my hardware is he
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=38431

How old is the chain? A worn chain can cause a lot of trouble shifting up
front.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old March 3rd 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default Poor shi[f]ting in front

Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
On 3/1/2010 11:15 PM Squat'n Dive wrote:

There's your problem: front's for peeing.

POTW

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007

Poor Jan B. Lafferty Racing 28 August 7th 06 02:15 PM
Poor FSA! Simon Brooke Racing 0 May 25th 06 08:33 PM
Poor DH Claire Petersky General 5 January 10th 06 01:49 PM
Oh how poor can you get David Martin UK 5 September 1st 05 07:45 AM
poor boy, help hungfromhooks Unicycling 4 November 12th 04 05:54 PM