25.4mm or 26.0mm?

Old March 2nd 10, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hans Protzel

Default 25.4mm or 26.0mm?

I recently purchased a 1986 Univega Gran Rally, I want to buy a taller
stem but I'm not sure about the sizing. Is there an easy way to tell
what size handlebar clamp I need?

Thanks!
Hans
Old March 2nd 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Hans Protzel wrote:
I recently purchased a 1986 Univega Gran Rally, I want to buy a taller
stem but I'm not sure about the sizing. Is there an easy way to tell
what size handlebar clamp I need?

An easy way? Measure it. Original is 25.4mm

If you do not have a caliper, wrap a paper around the bar.
25.4x3.14159 is 79.7mm. A 26.0 bar is 81.6mm circumference.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 2nd 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hans Protzel

On Mar 2, 10:04*am, AMuzi wrote:
Hans Protzel wrote:
I recently purchased a 1986 Univega Gran Rally, I want to buy a taller
stem but I'm not sure about the sizing. *Is there an easy way to tell
what size handlebar clamp I need?

An easy way? Measure it. *Original is 25.4mm

If you do not have a caliper, wrap a paper around the bar.
25.4x3.14159 is 79.7mm. A 26.0 bar is 81.6mm circumference.

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Bicycles and geometry go together? Who'd have thunk it?!

Thank you very much!
Hans
Old March 3rd 10, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"AMuzi" wrote in message
Hans Protzel wrote:
I recently purchased a 1986 Univega Gran Rally, I want to buy a taller
stem but I'm not sure about the sizing. Is there an easy way to tell
what size handlebar clamp I need?

An easy way? Measure it. Original is 25.4mm

If you do not have a caliper, wrap a paper around the bar. 25.4x3.14159 is
79.7mm. A 26.0 bar is 81.6mm circumference.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Math? I've spent my whole adult life trying to prove it didn't matter that I
hated Algebra and there was no point to it (enjoyed Geometry though!).

When no calipers were to be had, I've created a poor-man's go/no-go tool by
cutting a slot into a piece of paper.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old March 3rd 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 3 Mar, 00:49, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
"AMuzi" wrote in message

Hans Protzel wrote:
I recently purchased a 1986 Univega Gran Rally, I want to buy a taller
stem but I'm not sure about the sizing. *Is there an easy way to tell
what size handlebar clamp I need?

An easy way? Measure it. *Original is 25.4mm

If you do not have a caliper, wrap a paper around the bar. 25.4x3.14159 is
79.7mm. A 26.0 bar is 81.6mm circumference.

--
Andrew Muzi
*www.yellowjersey.org/
*Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Math? I've spent my whole adult life trying to prove it didn't matter that I
hated Algebra and there was no point to it (enjoyed Geometry though!).

When no calipers were to be had, I've created a poor-man's go/no-go tool by
cutting a slot into a piece of paper.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

The tape method is more reliable and possibly more accurate in certain
circumstances (it doesn't matter).