Whay are bicycle tires so damn expensive?

Old September 7th 11, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Whay are bicycle tires so damn expensive?

On 9/6/2011 5:33 PM, Ronko wrote:
Why are bicycle tires so expensive?

See the thread on this from earlier this year:
http://tinyurl.com/bicycletiresexpensive

If I buy a set of 4 Michelin tires
for my care, that's about $500-$600; let's call it $550 (I haven't
checked lately). I usually get about 40,000 miles. I use Michelin
ProRace3 on my bike, usually about $80 for 2 on sale. I may get
1,300 miles from them, they're sticky but not particularly long
wearing. So 40,000 / 1,300 is 30.8. Multiplying the $80 by 30.8
gives $2,464; or about 4 times the cost of the car tires. Of course I'm
getting 4 tires for the car instead of 2 for the bike so the real cost is
double, about 8 or 9 times. My analysis is generalized, hopefully the
crude analysis makes my point. For mileage the bicycle tires are
many times more expensive.

Comparing bicycle tires to car tires is tempting but probably unwise,
especially in terms of mileage. Car tires are sold at mass
merchandisers, like Costco, in high volumes. Bicycle tires are a low
volume item at bicycle stores that need to be stocked in a large variety
of sizes and tread type. Most people buy tires very infrequently and are
not terribly price sensitive so there is little incentive for stores to
offer discounts.

I buy enough to last a while when they go on sale and I try to keep as
many bicycles in our fleet using the same tire size as possible.

I thought $16 for a Ritchey Tom Slick was on the high side, but those
Michelins are outrageous.
Old September 7th 11, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Ronko wrote:
Why are bicycle tires so expensive? If I buy a set of 4 Michelin tires
for my care, that's about $500-$600; let's call it $550 (I haven't
checked lately). I usually get about 40,000 miles. I use Michelin
ProRace3 on my bike, usually about $80 for 2 on sale. I may get
1,300 miles from them, they're sticky but not particularly long
wearing. So 40,000 / 1,300 is 30.8. Multiplying the $80 by 30.8
gives $2,464; or about 4 times the cost of the car tires. Of course I'm
getting 4 tires for the car instead of 2 for the bike so the real cost is
double, about 8 or 9 times. My analysis is generalized, hopefully the
crude analysis makes my point. For mileage the bicycle tires are
many times more expensive.

Comments?

Apples and oranges.

The auto equivalent of a Michelin Pro is $600 each and used
for one race then maybe for one practice the next week.

Basic Michelin City are $24.95 and last through years of
daily use.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old September 8th 11, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

often asked. Tires are not expensive. ACCURATE Hand labor-tires are
made by hand-is essential while material costs are fairly low.
Competition runs at an ahhcute level in tech/performance/costs from a
wide income spectrum world market.
Lookit Conti's website with a quality tire in every niche then
whattheirname ? Big Apple's manufacturer where labor costs are
bottomed with new capitalization....but suspect tech. *

Old September 8th 11, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris M

On Sep 6, 5:33*pm, Ronko wrote:
Why are bicycle tires so expensive? If I buy a set of 4 Michelin tires
for my care, that's about $500-$600; let's call it $550 (I haven't
checked lately). I usually get about 40,000 miles. I use Michelin
ProRace3 on my bike, usually about $80 for 2 on sale. I may get
1,300 miles from them, they're sticky but not particularly long
wearing. So 40,000 / 1,300 is 30.8. *Multiplying the $80 by 30.8
gives $2,464; or about 4 times the cost of the car tires. Of course I'm
getting 4 tires for the car instead of 2 for the bike so the real cost is
double, about 8 or 9 times. My analysis is generalized, hopefully the
crude analysis makes my point. For mileage the bicycle tires are
many times more expensive.

Comments? *

The asking price on products usually has quite a range. The full gamut
of market forces are in effect for tires as any other consumer
product. If the question is concerning perceived pricing, you may be
paying full prices that few others are willing to pay. In short, they
ask what they expect the very highest price some will pay, but without
knowing just how many pay that price, all I can say is that if you pay
that much for tires, you look to shop around and survey cyclists for
more ideas. I doubt very many pay more than even $30 per tire, never
mind paying full MSRP on top models.

Some industries and market-niches have lots of discounts compared to
others, the question and answers can seem near endless. There is no
easy answer, but I worry about the assumptions you make in asking.
Old September 8th 11, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris M

On Sep 6, 9:43*pm, James wrote:
bfd wrote:
Secret, go to one of those UK bicycle dealers, they sell Michelin, Conti and other brands of tires CHEAP! No middleman, no markup!

Checkout:
Ribble Cycles.co.uk
Probikekit. om
Wiggle.co.uk
chainreactioncycles.com
totalcycling.com

Good Luck!

I hadn't seen totalcycling.com before. *Thanks!

--
JS.

No markup? Sure. I guess it depends on what you mean by the word.
Old September 8th 11, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris M

On Sep 7, 11:37*am, Ronko wrote:
In article 7d814e9d-a0ef-46d6-98bb-
,
says...

Secret, go to one of those UK bicycle dealers, they sell Michelin, Conti and

other brands of tires CHEAP! No middleman, no markup!

Checkout:
Ribble Cycles.co.uk
Probikekit. om
Wiggle.co.uk
chainreactioncycles.com
totalcycling.com

Good Luck!

Well my $40 was based on a somewhat average price for the ProRace3 but
I order from Probikekit often and they are a standup company and
occasionally have the PR3 even cheaper. I've noticed the Conti 4000S is
not discounted as much, I believe it wears better.

Rick

You're talking about the kind of tires people would use for the
Mercedes or Rolls of the cycling world. That is why your comparisons
don't quite translate from cars to bikes.

For $20 you can buy a tire that will easily carry any of the recent GT
winners without impeding that win.
Old September 10th 11, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T°m Sherm@n

Default Why are bicycle tires so damn expensive?

On 9/7/2011 1:41 AM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:
Ronko wrote:

Why are bicycle tires so expensive? If I buy a set of 4 Michelin tires
for my care, that's about $500-$600; let's call it $550 (I haven't
checked lately). I usually get about 40,000 miles. I use Michelin
ProRace3 on my bike, usually about $80 for 2 on sale. I may get
1,300 miles from them, they're sticky but not particularly long
wearing. So 40,000 / 1,300 is 30.8. Multiplying the $80 by 30.8
gives $2,464; or about 4 times the cost of the car tires. Of course I'm
getting 4 tires for the car instead of 2 for the bike so the real cost is
double, about 8 or 9 times. My analysis is generalized, hopefully the
crude analysis makes my point. For mileage the bicycle tires are
many times more expensive.

If you had ever worked on a car, you would not wish for bikes to
become more like cars, Good cars have more in common with BSOs than
they do with good bikes.

The BSO equivalents in automobiles [1] mostly disappeared from the US
market by the mid 1980's due to competition from the Japanese.
Everything now for sale has at least competent handling, brakes,
specific engine output, reliability, durability, and ergonomics.

As another comparison, my Honda NHX110 [2] is about as nicely made as a
bicycle of the same cost, but offers much more "content". Maintenance
costs are more [3], but come at much greater mileage intervals than
those on a bicycle. Again, the BSO equivalents (e.g. AMF made
Harley-Davidson motorcycles) are long gone.

[1] E.g., your typical 1970's "Detroit" passenger cars with inadequate
handling, brakes, fuel economy, space efficiency, reliability,
durability and ergonomics, not to mention being as ugly as sin.
[2] MSRP of $3K, but typically available for $200 to $500 less.
[3] Motorcycle mechanics typically make a blue collar middle class
wage, or significantly more that most LBS wrenches.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old September 10th 11, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Sep 8, 3:38 pm, Chris M wrote:
On Sep 6, 5:33 pm, Ronko wrote:

[...]

I had accumulated two (2) brand new tires over the past couple months,
and recently mounted them both at the same time. Ahhhhhhh..... brand
new tires front and rear - what a feeling! Replace bar tape and it'll
be like riding a new bike :-)

These are ~$40 tires, too. I know I'm a schmuck for brands and thread
counts and Italian mystique (made in Taiwan anyway), but there's
always hope that I'll change. If one or both of these tires is ruined
by hazard before the tread wears out, maybe I will finally get
sensible and try something like Paselas instead.