Do bicycles and cars mix?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 14th 03, 03:36 PM
Pbwalther

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

Well, it seems the combination of undertrained, careless drivers and
bicycles don't mix.

The odd thing is that according to estimates I have read, motorists rates of
fatal injury per hour is twice as high as cyclist.

Interestingly enough, the data distorts the danger of cycling. I read through
the data. Almost half of the cyclists killed in the USA were killed cycling at
night and I will bet you that nearly all of them did not have active lighting
systems. So if you don't ride at night (or use a lighting system if you do)
your risk of fatality is one quarter of a motorist! And if you cull out the
cyclists who get killed by wrong way cycling and so on the risk falls to about
1/8th of motorists.

So why do cyclists have such low fatality rates? Well most motorists are
killed by one of the following: driving while intoxicated, going to sleep at
the wheel, or driving way too fast for conditions. Cyclist do not usually do
these things. It is flat hard to ride a bike whilst intoxicated. Few people
ride bikes when they are almost asleep. And it is mighty hard to get a bike
going fast enough to make excessive speed a meaningful hazard.

Sure I feel safer in an automobile then I do on my bike but the data says I am
not.