Anybody using the DiNotte Ultralight?

Old November 11th 05, 12:56 AM
Gooserider

Default Anybody using the DiNotte Ultralight?

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:32:18 +0000, Gooserider wrote:

Performance has this on sale for Team P members, and it looks like a well
made light with a very small footprint. Anybody have any experience with
it?

I've been commuting with it since just before the time change. I'm quite
happy with it.

David--

Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to getting this
light. I have a fairly dark commute, but I think this light plus my LED
vest, two blinkies, reflective ankle strap, and maybe a helmet light should
have me covered. :-)

Mike

Old November 11th 05, 01:57 AM

David L. Johnson wrote:

I'm sold on the DiNotte. It is pricey, but it gives enough light to
really see, is simple and rugged enough for everyday use, and is small,
quick and easy to attach. If the batteries go, I can (and will) get 12
more (three changes) for $16.95, rather than be told, as I was, that the
battery on my NightRider was irreplaceable (4.5V NiMH smart strap-on
pack). Heck, even if it could be replaced, it would be over $100 to do so.

FWIW, inside the NiteRider battery pack are probably some
standard size of NiMH cell, that could be replaced. I have a
Niterider NiMH pack that is held together with screws that look odd,
but are actually just obnoxious tamper-resistant hex cap screws
(pin in the center). I haven't had to take mine apart yet, but when
I do, tamper-resistant hex wrenches are not hard to order, or I
could probably just find a locksmith who already has the wrenches.

Old November 11th 05, 04:03 AM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:40:42 -0500, Matt O'Toole wrote:

I like the Vega because it's even simpler to use than a Cateye Micro. It
goes on and off just as easily, and just plugs into its charger -- no
taking the batteries out and putting them back in. No worries about the
bulb burning out either. The Dinotte promises more light still, in an
even smaller package, but maybe not as convenient. I imagine you have to
take the batteries out to charge them, plus the mounting system looks a
bit fiddly.

Yeah, you do have to take the batteries out to charge them. But they fit
into a standard holder; you could have some on hand for quick changes.

The mounting system looks worse than it is. Easy and quick to mount the
light itself, and while it will not hold the setting if you bang the bike
around like I did tonight, it's a simple matter to re-aim. The batteries
come out for re-charging without removing the strap-on holder.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) |

Old November 11th 05, 04:05 AM

wrote:

Actually, they were security Torx screws, not allen screws. But here's
what I did:
I heated up a Torx bit to red hot, then slow cooled it. This annealed
it enough to allow drilling a hole in the end, to clear the pin.
Since the offending screws were just screwed into plastic, I didn't
bother re-hardening the bit. It worked fine.

The Torx variety are pretty common too. However, no need to go
that far. Although the tools are probably not at your local Sears,
the Bondhus tamper resistant torx set is $9 or so on the web:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200230074&R= 200230074

(No experience with this vendor, it's just someplace Google found.)

However, Black & Decker said the broken part is not available. "We
don't sell internal parts." (Think about that when you're next
shopping for appliances.)

I haven't really thought about buying an internal part for a small
appliance from the maker in some time. If I fix something, I just
bodge it. In an era of $20 imported appliances, I don't really expect
makers to have a stock of spare parts for small appliances (washing
machines would be another story). It may be sad, but that's how it is.
Just pretend everything comes with a "No User Serviceable Parts
Inside" sticker and enjoy the frisson of doing something slightly
forbidden when you open it up.

Although people like to complain about bicycle parts manufacturers,
they're probably better than average as far as spare parts go.

Old November 16th 05, 03:44 PM

Gooserider wrote:
"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:32:18 +0000, Gooserider wrote:

Performance has this on sale for Team P members, and it looks like a well
made light with a very small footprint. Anybody have any experience with
it?

I've been commuting with it since just before the time change. I'm quite
happy with it.

David--

Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to getting this
light. I have a fairly dark commute, but I think this light plus my LED
vest, two blinkies, reflective ankle strap, and maybe a helmet light should
have me covered. :-)

Mike

Mike: Have you had a chance to try it out yet? Nashbar has them on
sale now, so I'm contemplating a purchase. Does anyone know anything
about cost and availability of replacement bulbs?

Thanks,

Bruce

Old November 22nd 05, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote in message
oups.com...

Gooserider wrote:
[...]

Bruce--

When I ordered from Performance the website didn't show the item being
on backorder, but it was. Fed Ex has it and should deliver tomorrow, so I
will be able to test it over the Thanksgiving weekend. As for bulbs, it was
my understanding that LEDs don't burn out. Am I mistaken?

Mike

Old November 22nd 05, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mike: My understanding is that they last a long time, but eventually
burn out. I did get a response from Dinotte that the light is under
warranty for two years, which includes the bulb. If it burns out after
that you have to return the light to them for bulb replacement (it is
not user servicable). Current bulb replacement cost is $40, but they
expected better and cheaper bulbs in two years.

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion of the light. Hope you
like it.

Bruce