RAAM - Worlds toughest race.

Old May 9th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default RAAM - Worlds toughest race.

It's always been known that RAAM is the toughest race in the world:

The World’s Toughest Race In 1993 Outside magazine, the biggest and most
popular magazine on outdoor sports, commissioned a panel of experts to rank
the world’s toughest events. Using such criteria as the “Mule Factor”—the
distances involved; the “Forum”—how tough the course is; the “Anguish
Index”—how hard the competitors “have to work to convince themselves that
what they’re doing is only mildly inane and self-destructive;” and the “O
Factor”—a combination of the cost to do the event and the drop out rate.
Given these criteria, as judged by a number of multi-sport athletes and
observers, the ranking came out as follows:

1. Race Across America 676.2 points
2. Vendee Globe Around-the-World Sailing Race 675.0 points
3. Iditarod Sled Dog Race 417.5 points
4. U.S. Army’s Best Ranger Competition 402.5 points
5. Raid Gauloises Wilderness Competition 399.0 points
6. La Traversee Internationale (25-mile swim) 301.4 points
7. Badwater 146-Mile Cross Country Run 113.4 points
8. Hawaii Ironman Triathlon 67.2 points
-----------------
I was surprised that the Iditarod was 3rd, but I always knew the Hawaii
Ironman was for light-weights. Notice the tour de france isn't even on the
list. Watching McEwen in that sprint finish in the Giro, made me think this
is about exciting as watching paint dry. But of course the Giro is only a
giant marketing scheme to sell european products, and impractical bicycle
equipment in the USA. From sunglasses to bottle cages, it's all about
selling crap that doesn't work for the average guy. Kind of like American
Idol, that's what I would compare it to.

Old May 9th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Tue, 09 May 2006 11:11:22 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:

It's always been known that RAAM is the toughest waste in the world:

We finally agree.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Old May 9th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

In article ,
says...
It's always been known that RAAM is the toughest race in the world:

Only if sleep deprevation makes you tough.
--------------
Alex

Old May 9th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Callistus Valerius wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. Years before, I think there was another selection, and the
Western States 100 came out on top, if memory serves.
For me, the reasons why someone would do something so manifestly risky,
unpleasant and weird are just slightly more interesting than any kind of
ranking of these gore-fests.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old May 9th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Callistus Valerius wrote:
It's always been known that RAAM is the toughest race in the world:

If it's that tough, maybe you can get David Blaine interested in it. He
loves that sort of weirdass ****.

Old May 10th 06, 05:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Robert Chung" wrote in
:

Callistus Valerius wrote:
It's always been known that RAAM is the toughest race in the
world:

If it's that tough, maybe you can get David Blaine interested in it.
He loves that sort of weirdass ****.

David Blaine would do RAAM as a warm-up for his attempt to set the world
speed record for shoving an entire bicycle up your own ass.

--
Bill Asher
Old May 10th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

William Asher wrote:
"Robert Chung" wrote in
:

Callistus Valerius wrote:
It's always been known that RAAM is the toughest race in the
world:

If it's that tough, maybe you can get David Blaine interested in it.
He loves that sort of weirdass ****.

David Blaine would do RAAM as a warm-up for his attempt to set the world
speed record for shoving an entire bicycle up your own ass.

I believe Jure Robic currently holds that record:
http://galerija.jurerobic.net/raam20...RAAM2004_10593

Old May 10th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Robert Chung" wrote in news:4cdafnF151acpU1
@individual.net:

http://galerija.jurerobic.net/raam20...RAAM2004_10593

Damn, that's old school.

--
Bill Asher
Old May 10th 06, 08:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

In article ,
William Asher wrote:

"Robert Chung" wrote in
:

Callistus Valerius wrote:
It's always been known that RAAM is the toughest race in the
world:

If it's that tough, maybe you can get David Blaine interested in it.
He loves that sort of weirdass ****.

David Blaine would do RAAM as a warm-up for his attempt to set the world
speed record for shoving an entire bicycle up your own ass.

With or without lubricant?

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Race Report - ADF Cycling Championships Tamyka Bell Australia 25 April 24th 05 07:33 AM
ET Tu Antoni [email protected] Racing 1 September 25th 04 09:35 PM
Race report - first triathlon (long) Chris Durkin General 10 July 16th 04 05:00 PM
OK, I should write up a RR (Race Report)- and here it is. miles todd Mountain Biking 1 March 2nd 04 08:23 PM
[SecMTB] Drifter Magoebaskloof MTB Challenge 2003 - Race Report Johann S. Mountain Biking 3 November 8th 03 04:46 AM