Removing cranks with reverse threads

Old September 7th 09, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dre[_3_]

Default Removing cranks with reverse threads

Hi all, I have a set of Deity Vendetta cranks fitted to my Riot which I need
to remove.

The problem is the threads that you screw your standard crank puller into
are reverse threaded. So my crank pullers wont fit. I had a look on the
internet but couldn't find much info on reverse thread crank pullers. I've
emailled Deity but they havn't replied as yet.

Does anyone know of or has anyone seen a reverse threaded crank puller???

Anything other than a standard crank puller (3 prong puller for example)
wont work as the crank to axle fit is a *bloody* tight fit...

Cheers Dre

Old September 7th 09, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Dre wrote:
Hi all, I have a set of Deity Vendetta cranks fitted to my Riot which I need
to remove.
The problem is the threads that you screw your standard crank puller into
are reverse threaded. So my crank pullers wont fit. I had a look on the
internet but couldn't find much info on reverse thread crank pullers. I've
emailled Deity but they havn't replied as yet.
Does anyone know of or has anyone seen a reverse threaded crank puller???
Anything other than a standard crank puller (3 prong puller for example)
wont work as the crank to axle fit is a *bloody* tight fit...

If it's m22x1 reverse then just use a Campagnolo C-Record
puller or see any competent LBS which commonly services
bicycles.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old September 7th 09, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Sep 6, 6:42*pm, "Dre" wrote:
Hi all, I have a set of Deity Vendetta cranks fitted to my Riot which I need
to remove.

The problem is the threads that you screw your standard crank puller into
are reverse threaded. *So my crank pullers wont fit. *I had a look on the
internet but couldn't find much info on reverse thread crank pullers. *I've
emailled Deity but they havn't replied as yet.

Does anyone know of or has anyone seen a reverse threaded crank puller???

Anything other than a standard crank puller (3 prong puller for example)
wont work as the crank to axle fit is a *bloody* tight fit...

Cheers Dre

No idea if the threading is the same, but Campy C-Record and Croce
d'Aune with self-extractors had LH thread.

Biketoolsetc normally stocks that tool, but they're out right now.
http://tinyurl.com/camplhtool

You see them pop up on ebay sometimes, too. I'd check with a shop that
does a lot of Campy, if you just need them pulled to work on the BB.
Old September 7th 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Sep 6, 6:42*pm, "Dre" wrote:
Hi all, I have a set of Deity Vendetta cranks fitted to my Riot which I need
to remove.

The problem is the threads that you screw your standard crank puller into
are reverse threaded. *So my crank pullers wont fit. *I had a look on the
internet but couldn't find much info on reverse thread crank pullers. *I've
emailled Deity but they havn't replied as yet.

Does anyone know of or has anyone seen a reverse threaded crank puller???

Anything other than a standard crank puller (3 prong puller for example)
wont work as the crank to axle fit is a *bloody* tight fit...

Cheers Dre

Wait..it looks like these come with self-extractors. Was there a
dustcap that you removed before the bolt? If so, put both back on,
tightening the dustcap as much as possible, and unscrew the bolt with
the dustcap still in place. That should pull off the arms.
Old September 7th 09, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dre[_3_]

"AMuzi" wrote in message
Dre wrote:
Hi all, I have a set of Deity Vendetta cranks fitted to my Riot which I
need to remove.
The problem is the threads that you screw your standard crank puller into
are reverse threaded. So my crank pullers wont fit. I had a look on the
internet but couldn't find much info on reverse thread crank pullers.
I've emailled Deity but they havn't replied as yet.
Does anyone know of or has anyone seen a reverse threaded crank puller???
Anything other than a standard crank puller (3 prong puller for example)
wont work as the crank to axle fit is a *bloody* tight fit...

If it's m22x1 reverse then just use a Campagnolo C-Record puller or see
any competent LBS which commonly services bicycles.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks I'll check it out. All the LBS's in my area went WTF when I asked
them...

Cheers Dre

Old September 7th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dre[_3_]

"Hank" wrote in message
On Sep 6, 6:42 pm, "Dre" wrote:
[...]

-----------------

Hi, thanks for the info re the Campy puller, I'll check it out.

And yes, they do come with dust caps...BUUUUUUUUUT the dust caps are made of
aluminium and the crank to axle fit is sooooo tight that as soon as I put
any force on my allen key, the dust caps just blew apart, the threads on
them simply sheared off in one piece. There is no way a small aluminum cap
like that can take the force of that crank/axle fit. Its incredibly bloody
tight. I've never ever had to fit a crank that tight (the manual states
this and I did fit it correctly).

I've now spoken to a few bike mechanics and they have all come to the
agreement that the axle needs to be knocked out. The earlier version of
thse cranks came with a tool that screws into the crank arm and has a pin
running through it. You hit the bejeesus out of the pin and it knocks the
axle out of the crank. Thats what I'm looking at atm unless Deity come back
with something else...

Cheers Dre

Old September 7th 09, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Dre wrote:
Hi all, I have a set of Deity Vendetta cranks fitted to my Riot which I
need to remove.
The problem is the threads that you screw your standard crank puller into
are reverse threaded. So my crank pullers wont fit. I had a look on the
internet but couldn't find much info on reverse thread crank pullers.
I've emailled Deity but they havn't replied as yet.
Does anyone know of or has anyone seen a reverse threaded crank puller???
Anything other than a standard crank puller (3 prong puller for example)
wont work as the crank to axle fit is a *bloody* tight fit...

"AMuzi" wrote

Dre wrote:
Thanks I'll check it out. All the LBS's in my area went WTF when I asked
them...
Cheers Dre

Where? Near me or Peter Chisholm or John Dacey perhaps?

Old September 7th 09, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dre[_3_]

Dre wrote:
Thanks I'll check it out. All the LBS's in my area went WTF when I asked
them...
Cheers Dre

Where? Near me or Peter Chisholm or John Dacey perhaps?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ummmm, not quite, I live in Australia

No one near me does anything Campy so thats probably why they had no idea...

Cheers Dre

Old September 7th 09, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Sep 6, 7:51*pm, "Dre" wrote:
"Hank" wrote in message

On Sep 6, 6:42 pm, "Dre" wrote:

[...]

Well, they sell spare dustcaps AND the tool to tighten them down. Any
time I've run into a stripped puller thread, it's because it wasn't
tight enough.

http://deitycomponentsstore.com/cranksets.html
Old September 7th 09, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dre[_3_]

"Hank" wrote in message
On Sep 6, 7:51 pm, "Dre" wrote:
"Hank" wrote in message

On Sep 6, 6:42 pm, "Dre" wrote:

[...]

----------------

That tool wont tighten them down any more than a standard pin spanner/wrench
which I used to *totally* bottom them out on the threads. If you
knew/experienced how much force I had to put on the allen key to get the
crank onto the axle you would instantly see that those little aluminium caps
have absolutely no chance against a tight fit between a chromoly axle and
the chromoly crank arms. These aren't aluminium cranks here, they are
chromoly and the fit is incredibly tight.

The instructions warn about this tight fit and stress to use as much grease
as you can, which I did. I was still amazed at how much force I had to put
on the bolt to get them on in the first place. I'm talking close to half a
meter (40cm) of leverage on the allen key to get the cranks onto the axle,
and even then I was really putting serious muscle onto the extension bar.

Think the tightest stuckdest cranks you have ever had, then times that by 10

Cheers Dre

removing cranks that have their threads wrecked? unicyclerperson Unicycling 4 August 26th 08 05:34 PM
Removing cranks Pembar Unicycling 3 May 7th 08 08:12 AM
Removing cranks isaac steiner Unicycling 0 May 6th 08 09:34 PM
removing KH cranks doamono Unicycling 3 April 1st 08 12:40 PM
Removing my cranks Ducttape Unicycling 2 March 4th 08 03:09 AM