Triple Shimano Crank and compatible derailleurs?

Old May 8th 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris M

Default Triple Shimano Crank and compatible derailleurs?

I bought my first Shimano crank, a 105 5600 Triple. It uses a 30/39/50
chainring set. I would like to find a front derailleur that is
compatible without having to swap between these cranks and a 50/34
double. I also use 2008 Record brifters and again, I want the simplest
configuration. I will likely only use the tripple during winter
months.It's also possible I will leave it on oen bike to use on long
hilly rides like Markleyville or similar. I can restrict the cassette
to 13 25 or 13 23 if that helps the chain wrap issue. The reason I am
trying it is that I started using Miche cassettes about a year ago,
and I really like having tight ratios for climbing. I used 34 by 18,
19, 20, 21 23 and 25 on the steepest hilss when I am fresh, and when I
commute over the same roads, I can struggle from muscle fatigue.
Ideally I would like to be able to go as low as 30 by 26 at least to
see how it goes, the 30 * 23 is very close to 30 * 23. So even adding
a 24 as max will help both with tighter ratios and higher cadence.

What I really wanted was a 34 55 with a 13/25, and if I had a triple
it would perhaps be possible, the middle ring being there to make
shifting plausible and allowin even more choices with close ratios.
I've found that in general, working on cadence each winter has been a
virtual foutain of youth.

If all else fails, I'll build up my old OCLV with whatever drivetrain
components are needed to make the triple shift smoothly and keep the
new frame in my traditional configurations.

In that case, the triple can be shifted with bar-end shifters I guess.
If that happens, I will try to find a 52 / 36 set of 110 BCD rings.

Any suggestions are welcome as always.
Old May 8th 11, 11:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Sat, 7 May 2011 18:02:59 -0700 (PDT), Chris M
wrote:

[...]

I wonder whether a standard triple derailer wouldn't work with the
50-34 double? I haven't tried it but I don't see why it shouldn't as
the derailer cage has to clear the 40 T chain wing to shift the triple
and clears a 34 T ring when shifting the double.

Old May 11th 11, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 5/7/2011 8:02 PM, Chris M wrote:
[...]
What I really wanted was a 34 55 with a 13/25, and if I had a triple
it would perhaps be possible, the middle ring being there to make
shifting plausible and allowin even more choices with close ratios.
I've found that in general, working on cadence each winter has been a
virtual foutain of youth.[...]

I once road a bicycle with 54/44/24 chainrings and 11-32 cassette.
Shifted fine with an old Suntour triple derailer up front, a Deore rear
derailer, and Shimano 8-speed bar ends.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old May 11th 11, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On May 7, 6:02*pm, Chris M wrote:
[...]

The assist ramps on the inner cage are pretty ring size-specific for
STI shifters. In my experience, no, a Triple FD won't work with the
compact double. The chain will be too low on the 34T, and will grind
against the ramp. You may be able to get away with using a compact
Double FD, but the chain may drag on the bottom of the cage in small/
small combos. Your best bet would be to find an old flat-sided triple
FD from the early MTB days. Since you're (wisely) using Ergos instead
of STI, you'll probably be able to shift it, too, but it may take some
overshift & correction to trim.
Old May 11th 11, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On May 11, 3:14*pm, Hank wrote:
On May 7, 6:02*pm, Chris M wrote:

[...]

I'd be tempted to use a Campy triple FD and be done with it. I got
one from Rivendell for my 620 and it shifts great and the cage isn't
too visibly contoured like the Shimano 105 triple FD that I tried and
rejected. I have not tried it on a compact double but don't see why
it wouldn't work - and I can easily see where there might be probs
with a Shimano triple FD.

just a thought

nate
Old May 11th 11, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On May 11, 2:24*pm, N8N wrote:
On May 11, 3:14*pm, Hank wrote:

On May 7, 6:02*pm, Chris M wrote:

[...]

nate- Hide quoted text -

I've tried a Campy Triple FD on a compact double. Doesn't work. A
shift to the 34 will overshift off the ring because the guide ramp
will hit the lower-than-expected chain. Lots of fiddling was not able
to yield a usable adjustment, at least by me.
Old May 13th 11, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ska-T

On May 11, 2:47*pm, Hank wrote:
I've tried a Campy Triple FD on a compact double. Doesn't work. A
shift to the 34 will overshift off the ring because the guide ramp
will hit the lower-than-expected chain. Lots of fiddling was not able
to yield a usable adjustment, at least by me.

Would an N-Gear Jump Stop solve that problem?
http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/index.html
Old May 14th 11, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

ASK Universalcycles tech man
Unicy may have the correct model in stock
Old May 15th 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zarniwoop

On May 13, 10:25 am, Ska-T wrote:
On May 11, 2:47 pm, Hank wrote:

I've tried a Campy Triple FD on a compact double. Doesn't work. A
shift to the 34 will overshift off the ring because the guide ramp
will hit the lower-than-expected chain. Lots of fiddling was not able
to yield a usable adjustment, at least by me.

Would an N-Gear Jump Stop solve that problem?http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/index.html

I use those ,or the previously offered, 'Chain-minder' on all triples,
in the fleet, here,

now, for those.. carbon frames that have a 'braze on' FD,
and not a round tube on the whole frame.. theres a piece that fits
onto
the FD'd mounting by K Edge Of Idaho.. seen on the Racers on the
Cobbled Spring Classics..

of course a derailleur that is operated by hand directly ,
rather than with the electric switch like expectations from a index
shifter,
will function in more combinations, though change a little bit
Slower..

reading the terrain, making big up-shifts at crests of hills, and so
forth,
will get you out and about enjoying the countryside.