Record speed!

Old July 29th 03, 11:38 AM
Gonzalez

Default Record speed!

Phil.Winterbourne wrote:

Paul wrote:

Are these speeds downhill or on the flat? I tend to get really nervous going
at speed downhill, I have managed 30mph on the flat on a mountain bike. What
is a respectable non-wind/hill assisted speed?

30mph is a very respectable speed for a mountain bike on the flat.

A good place to try a fast flat speed is on the Thames Cycle Path
between the Millennium Dome and Greenwich Yacht Club.

Paul

'Very' downhill, the best I've got on the flat is about 24 mph & that's
going as fast as I could in top gear. I think there was a bit of a tail
wind as well :-)

Phil

--
remove remove to reply
Old July 29th 03, 11:42 AM
elyob

"Dave Larrington" wrote in message
elyob wrote:

I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now I
reckon I can top 70mph ..

Should not be difficult if you choose the Dark Side. Darth Oliver of

London
Recumbents has hit 70 coming off the Beacon on a Challenge Hurricane.

Yeah, I'd like a go on a 'bent too ...

Old July 29th 03, 11:46 AM
Lee

"bomba" wrote in message
Lee wrote:

A friend of mine was descending on his road bike at 40-45mph. A car
coming in the opposite direction didn't see him and pulled out to
overtake a car in front. To give you some idea of the carnage, the car
was a write-off. Fortunately, he's still able to walk and his helmet
saved him from becoming a vegetable.

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

blimey, my helmet is a good investment then!

Old July 29th 03, 12:15 PM
Arthur Clune

In uk.rec.cycling Paul wrote:
: Are these speeds downhill or on the flat? I tend to get really nervous going
: at speed downhill, I have managed 30mph on the flat on a mountain bike. What
: is a respectable non-wind/hill assisted speed?

That's downhill.

30 mph on the flat is really moving, esp if you can sustain it

Arthur

Old July 29th 03, 12:23 PM
Shaun Rimmer

elyob wrote in message

"Lee" wrote in message

"elyob" wrote in message

"Phil.Winterbourne" wrote in message
last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph

on
the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm

well
chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)

I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round

the
last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.

Phil

I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now I

reckon
I can top 70mph ..

Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!

I get bored if I'm doing less than as fast as I can go. Of course, I do

this
without hacking through one-way streets the wrong way, on pavements and

the
like. As and when I fall off at this speed, I may get 'the fear', but not
yet .... Still coming off at 20 is as dangerous as any faster speed IMO.

Hmmm, sometimes it works that way, other times, no!

Fastest I came off a bike was about 20 mph - car pulled out _fast_ from a
row of parked cars in front of me, swung right, then left to take a left
hand corner (UK - I was on the left) presenting me with its left rear side.
Front wheelput a nice dent in the back end of the BMW, I went over the boot,
still toe-strapped to the pedals. That hurt - my ankles were stuffed for
weeks - the abrasions to elbows, forearm and knees didn't hurt nearly as
much.........Still, it could have been much worse.......

Shaun aRe

Old July 29th 03, 12:23 PM
Westie

"Maureen" maureendotdoigatbtinternetdotcom wrote in message
. ..

"Lee" wrote in message

Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!

Maybe I am just getting old, but I am inclined to start thinking things

like
"What if my forks broke and I went head first into the road at 40mph"

Mind you, I am a woosy female!!! No doubt all you guys on here are

fearless (:

Maureen

You're right. It's the getting old thing I'm sure. But I'm inclined to see
it more as getting more 'knowledgable' rather than getting 'old'.
I approach some things with more caution now (a fearless kind of caution,
mind you...). But then I'm back at physio for my CV collarbone joint that I
busted just before Xmas last year too.
I am now more "knowlegable" of the consequences of hitting the ground upside
down at 10 mph. ;-)
--
Westie

Old July 29th 03, 12:27 PM
Westie

"Lee" wrote in message

"bomba" wrote in message
Lee wrote:

A friend of mine was descending on his road bike at 40-45mph. A car
coming in the opposite direction didn't see him and pulled out to
overtake a car in front. To give you some idea of the carnage, the car
was a write-off. Fortunately, he's still able to walk and his helmet
saved him from becoming a vegetable.

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

blimey, my helmet is a good investment then!

No. Property can be a good investment. A good education can be a good
investment. Helmets are for protecting your interests; and a box is for
storing your nuts.
--
Westie

Old July 29th 03, 12:31 PM
Mark Webb

Had to be a BMW driver of course...

Old July 29th 03, 12:32 PM
Westie

"Shaun Rimmer" wrote in message

Phil.Winterbourne wrote in message
last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)

I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.

Phil

Huh - and I thought I'd done well at 38.9mph! That wasn't scary though -
straight road, no junctions, bike felt extremely stable. Surprised I

managed
it with 2.6 tyres though. Mebbe that the bike weighs about 36lb helped.

I might have done faster on my skinny tyred (with 65 psi) steel rigid

since,
but it ain't got a 'pooter on it yet.

Shaun aRe - good going Phil.

Geez Shaun, at 36 pounds you'd get more speed by dropping it off a balcony
or something!
--
Westie

Old July 29th 03, 12:53 PM
Phil.Winterbourne

Ian Bates wrote:

Phil.Winterbourne wrote:

last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)

I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.

How do you all get to these speeds? I have a mid-range MTB, highest
gear 44/11, 26x1.5 (Specialized Nimbus) semi-slicks pumped to 80PSI, and
I have never, according to my (Sigma BC700) cycle computer, gone above
70 KPH (approx. 43 MPH), wind and hill assisted and spinning out.

I guess Road bikes and their setup make all the difference.

Or, what I suspect to be the true case, is there is a little gremlin
inside my cycle computer that plays with all the numbers before
displaying them, always to make them appear worse than they truly are.

Disappointedly in the sub-50 MPH club,

Ian.

Well I was on a top-of-the-range MTB so you can't blame your tyres :-) I
would have thought that Sheffield would give some fantastic
opportunities for speed!

The hill in question is a corker, at least a mile long and with one of
those little chevron things on it. It's best feature though is that it
is straight and smooth.

I gave up pedalling fairly soon, then just went low over the bars, arse
way out back and let gravity do it's work (maybe my 16 stone helped
there!)

As for speedo gremlins - the best way is to do roll-out test & then
verify with a GPS.

Phil

Riding speed Daniel Crispin General 34 August 10th 04 04:09 AM
FA: Campagnolo Record on Gel 280 Track Wheels Ian Yates General 1 January 16th 04 03:54 PM
Colnago C50 + Record 2004 road test (sort of) Richard Sherratt General 0 December 23rd 03 07:33 AM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM
Dumb Newbie Qs on Gears and Speed Elisa Francesca Roselli General 14 July 27th 03 08:23 PM