Reverse comment

Old February 12th 04, 03:43 AM
onewheeldave

Default Reverse comment

Tonight on my way through the university campus I saw a woman pushing
one of those small wheeled fold up bicycles (moultons?).

Focusing on getting the timing spot on I said, 'that's a strange looking
bike!'.

She looked up and did a double take as I cruised by on my 29-er.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

Old February 12th 04, 06:48 AM
Rayden

Unicyclists take the offensive in the "stupid comment" war!

--
Rayden
Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

Old February 12th 04, 06:22 PM
Uniwitold

I have been hooted and shouted while unicycling but I had also such a
comments.......,'You are doing great ' + - 18 y.o. 'I am proud of you'
+- 50 y.o sprightly gent. ' You rally mustered it' +- 18 y.o. gent. 'I
wish I could do it'.... quite few young ladies...ha!
Hi! Hi! I am far away of being anybody in unicycling I just manage do go
on quite flat tarmac turn and (most of the time free mount)
however A PUBLIC is kind at times too = it happens the whether is
good even in my willage.

--
Uniwitold

Veni !Vidi !Mount ! ' Public does not perceive it reacts'. Greg
Harper.
Uniwitold's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2181

Old February 12th 04, 06:22 PM
Mikefule

More likely it was a Brompton. Moulton do (did?) make a folder, but
Bromptons are the folder of choice these days. At about £800, they are
an easy way to rack up the massive debts which are such a competitive
status symbol among students these days.

Retires to safe distance.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Sometimes I ride like a demon, sometimes like a lemon. It's an L of a
difference.

Old February 12th 04, 07:45 PM
onewheeldave

Yeah, I think Bromton is right.

One of the guys at juggling has one and he's very passionate about it. I
rode it once and didn't like the small diameter wheels, though I guess
you get used to them.

Old February 12th 04, 11:37 PM
Matt.P.Herbert

I have a Brompton, very convenient as it folds down smaller than most
unicycles and a pretty good ride considering its foldability.
Although I've had a few silly coments riding it like 'nice bike' 'girls
bike' 'funny looking bike' and all that sort of nonsense, although when
you fold it up in about 15 seconds flat it normally shuts them up.
It does though have sixteen inch wheels which makes me wonder if it is
actually legal to ride it on the pavement in the U.K.
If so it would seem strange that I could hack down a busy pavement on my
Brompton at 20 MPH (not that I would) but couldn't technically ride my
Pashley Muni down the pavement at 6MPH. If this is the case then it
does seem to make a mockery of the law, or maybe this isn't the case,
perhaps someone could clarify this.

--
Matt.P.Herbert
Matt.P.Herbert's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5486

Old February 13th 04, 07:30 AM
Mikefule

I think the 16 inch rule would be applied with discretion. That is,
something clearly sold as an adult vehicle, and used as such, would not
be able to 'hide behind' a law which was drafted before 16 inch wheeled
adult bicycles were envisaged.

You can still be arrested for 'furious riding', obstruction, behaviour
likely to cause a breach of the peace, or even assault (which does not
require physical contact - just a degree of intimidation).

On the other hand, the Police have other priorities, and anyone riding
any bicycle sensibly and courteously on the pavement is usually likely
to get away with it, or get no more than a warning. Indeed, in some
areas, public safety is increased by keeping cyclists away from the
faster traffic flow.

When considering English Law, we should bear in mind that it is
technically illegal to take someone's car without their consent, drive
it like a lunatic, then set fire to it in a lay by - but no one has been
arrested for this since about 1990.

Old February 13th 04, 09:34 PM
Sarah Miller

Mikefule wrote:

When considering English Law, we should bear in mind that it is
technically illegal to take someone's car without their consent, drive
it like a lunatic, then set fire to it in a lay by - but no one has been
arrested for this since about 1990.

Isn't it strange how its also allowable to defend yourself agaist a
charge of vehicle theft by saying that you beleived the owner would have
given you permission to drive away thier vehicle IF you HAd asked
tham. Even tho you didn't ask them.

Werid

Sarah
Old February 14th 04, 11:25 PM
johnhimsworth

I think the idea is that you can use it as a defense, but only if it
makes sense, otherwise they can just ignore it. Something to do with the
way the law is worded. I could be wrong, I only did AS level law, and my
experience of stealing cars is a bit limited too.

John

--
johnhimsworth - Falling off with style...

Look! The Goodyear Blimp!
johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

Old February 16th 04, 09:19 AM
joemarshall

Matt.P.Herbert wrote:
*I have a Brompton, very convenient as it folds down smaller than most
unicycles and a pretty good ride considering its foldability.
*

Bromptons are ace. You can make them start folding automatically if you
pull on the front brake and push hard on the handlebars to lift up the
back wheel.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde