Advice - Spot Frames

Old October 16th 05, 12:53 AM
little earthquakes

Default Advice - Spot Frames

"MattB" wrote in message
little earthquakes wrote:
"MattB" wrote in message

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

little earthquakes wrote:

"Scott Gordo" wrote in message
egroups.com...

JD wrote:

Scott Gordo wrote:

What's wrong with the Cannondale?

You have to ask?

JD

Okay, I'll rephrase: what's wrong with Mitch's CDale?

(Can I preempt the reflexive "It's a CDale!" response?)

they break.

Well, they may break but I have not had that experience yet. I paid
$325 for a 1FG with a spot hub on back, wtb on front laced to

Rhynolites
(I think), Sh!tmano SS cranks, Avid mechs, EA70 post and bars, and a
rigid fork. I stuck a marz eta something or another on instead of the
rigid (I had it laying around anyway). I have to say it was one of the
best bargains I ever found. Oh, and it was delivered right to my hotel
room in San Diego by the person I bought it from (no shipping). For
that price, if it breaks then the parts are worth more than the frame
anyway. It's held up pretty good although I haven't really ridden
anything that technical on it. But, it has acquired a lot of mileage
since the purchase and is still running smooth.

Would it last another 10 years? Probably. But nothing beats that new
bike smell, and frankly I think it's time. The SS is really the only
bike I ride in my area now. So I might as well get something a little
more trail worthy and not as massed produced. Is there a bling factor?
Of course there is. Screw it. Why shouldn't it look good? But when
all is said and done, I intend to ride the crap (no relation to
crapandfail) out of it. My bikes are not garage ornaments. They don't
just hang for people to see my collection. They are there to be

ridden.

In fact, they spend their non-riding time in the basement so no one

has
to look at them when the garage door is open.

Now if it would just stop friggin raining (7 days straight), I can put
some more mileage down. The trails are pretty saturated here, so it
will be the road on Sunday.

I have an old early 90's Cannondale (the 3.0 Lbs SM800) that is now the
around town trailer hauler. Lots of offroad miles and it's not broken
yet, but my brother had a Red Shred from a couple of years before that
did eventually break.
So what's it prove? Well, pretty much nothing, but I guess some break
and some don't. You could probably say that about a lot of bikes.

trek, way back made frames that did not break. i know someone with a

really
old cannondale rigid, and that thing is solid. it has some really

strange
looking dropouts.

Sounds like mine. They stick out off the back of the frame.

that's the one.

Old October 18th 05, 02:02 AM
Dave W

"little earthquakes" wrote in message
.. .

"Scott Gordo" wrote in message
ups.com...

JD wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:
What's wrong with the Cannondale?

You have to ask?

JD

Okay, I'll rephrase: what's wrong with Mitch's CDale?

(Can I preempt the reflexive "It's a CDale!" response?)

they break.

all bikes break. period.

Old October 18th 05, 02:36 PM
Shaun aRe

"bomba" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:32:24 +0100, Shaun aRe wrote:

Another fine reason to avoid the EBB hype and just get a bike with
horizontal drops, or fork ends for singlespeeding. Good riders don't
*need* a disc rear brake because a rear brake doesn't need to lock out
for them.

JD

Whaddabout, like, for doing stunts and stuff though?

And skids!

That's what that downy chamois padding is for.

Shaun aRe

Old October 18th 05, 02:37 PM
Shaun aRe

"Dean A. Stepper" wrote in message

"Shaun aRe" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
I routinely take out my EBB on the 1FG and regrease it. Yes, they do
squeak if you do not maintain them, often. They can also seize up.

Another fine reason to avoid the EBB hype and just get a bike with
horizontal drops, or fork ends for singlespeeding. Good riders don't
*need* a disc rear brake because a rear brake doesn't need to lock out
for them.

JD

Whaddabout, like, for doing stunts and stuff though?

Shaun aRe

I don't think you what to get to radical on 29 inch wheels, they are not

as
strong as 26 inch wheels. We may never see 29 inch downhill bikes.

29'ers seem to be better for Usenet stunts though ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Old October 18th 05, 02:42 PM
Shaun aRe

"bomba" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:21:14 -0400, Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

Here's one: use a v-brake in the back! Who actually needs discs in the
rear?

Ever ride in a UK winter?

Indeed. Seen a rim's braking surface when used with V's, after just one UK
winter? That was god enough reason for me - blown through 2 just that way.

Shaun aRe

Old October 19th 05, 12:10 AM
little earthquakes

JD wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:
What's wrong with the Cannondale?

You have to ask?

JD

Okay, I'll rephrase: what's wrong with Mitch's CDale?

(Can I preempt the reflexive "It's a CDale!" response?)

they break.

all bikes break. period.

some, more than others.

i sure would hate to replace my frame every year, like the trek owners do,
just because they 'actually' ride them.

Old October 19th 05, 03:57 AM
MattB

little earthquakes wrote:
"Dave W" wrote in message

"little earthquakes" wrote in message

"Scott Gordo" wrote in message
groups.com...

JD wrote:

Scott Gordo wrote:

What's wrong with the Cannondale?

You have to ask?

JD

Okay, I'll rephrase: what's wrong with Mitch's CDale?

(Can I preempt the reflexive "It's a CDale!" response?)

they break.

all bikes break. period.

some, more than others.

i sure would hate to replace my frame every year, like the trek owners do,
just because they 'actually' ride them.

That implies they all break the first year. I don't think it's even
almost true.
I know several Trek owners who really ride and none have broken frames.

Not saying they don't break, but they definitely don't ALL break.

Matt

buying a bike (newbie) Kitty UK 125 January 14th 05 08:47 PM
Ribble frames - opinions darrenf UK 1 November 12th 04 06:33 PM
stock vs. custom frames Mark Heiple Techniques 46 July 4th 04 06:13 AM
Alethes Uni Frames SEMPER_UNI Unicycling 21 June 8th 04 07:03 PM
Bike for big AND tall person Peter Cole General 20 August 13th 03 01:38 PM