Tom Kunich is [an] ass

Old December 30th 05, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Tom Kunich is [an] ass

In article ,
Jasper Janssen writes:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:55:39 -0600, Tim McNamara
wrote:

Given that Jobst uses Emacs, he's got a great option in Gnus right on
his computer (M-x gnus). The current version is 5.10.6, I think; the
CVS version is 5.11. All he has to do is set up his .gnus config file
and he is in business. There are some great e-mail client options as
well.

Doesn't it bother you that what purports to be a text editor can read your
mail and news? Literally, actually, and send responses back all without
you even noticing?

Not when it's Open Source Software. I'd be more leery of
[back-door goings-on in] certain proprietary applications.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old December 30th 05, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Jasper Janssen writes:

Besides, he didn't seem to be at war with his high school English
teacher, eschewing the **** key, and reasonable spelling and
punctuation. ^^^^

I gotta say, Jobst, *that* was a good laugh. I needed that.

Well, it was Freudian slip but I like it.

Jobst Brandt
Old December 30th 05, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Michael Press writes:

Changing the Subject header in a sub-thread is permissible, even
preferable, in many cases.

When it's actually a sub-thread, yes. When it's just a reply, not.

I have changed a Subject header only to correct a misspelling.

And, as I mentioned, it was not a misspelling but rather a device used
by Charles Dickens that has made its way into literate circles for its
emphasis.

http://www.bartleby.com/73/1002.html

Jobst Brandt
Old December 30th 05, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Where's the hatrack writes:

Given that Jobst uses Emacs, he's got a great option in Gnus right
on his computer (M-x gnus). The current version is 5.10.6, I
think; the CVS version is 5.11. All he has to do is set up his
.gnus config file and he is in business. There are some great
e-mail client options as well.

Doesn't it bother you that what purports to be a text editor can
read your mail and news? Literally, actually, and send responses
back all without you even noticing?

There are old UNIX users who are still searching for ways to make
emacs do the work of existing tools that are widely available, well
understood, stable, and often without cost to the user. I believe
this may be due, in part, to a mania for one-true-tool-ism. It may
also have some of the "if all you have is a hammer..." flavor about
it, perhaps reinforced by "if your tool box will only hold a hammer,
it can be hard to see the point of having a screwdriver." as well.

Oh, like reformatting these paragraphs that seem to come from other
newsreaders with the instead of and a mix of extremely long
and super short lines. I don't think MS Word or other newsreaders
handle that worth a damn, judging by the formats that appear here.

OTOH, there are some elegant things that have been done with emacs
over the years, and if it works, where's the point in replacing it?

It can't be any good if the critic doesn't use it. On the other hand
most users don't want to use the CTL and ESC keys to differentiate
command from text input.

Jobst Brandt
Old December 30th 05, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 30 Dec 2005 03:11:12 GMT, wrote:

Where's the hatrack writes:
There are old UNIX users who are still searching for ways to make
emacs do the work of existing tools that are widely available, well
understood, stable, and often without cost to the user. I believe
this may be due, in part, to a mania for one-true-tool-ism. It may
also have some of the "if all you have is a hammer..." flavor about
it, perhaps reinforced by "if your tool box will only hold a hammer,
it can be hard to see the point of having a screwdriver." as well.

Oh, like reformatting these paragraphs that seem to come from other
newsreaders with the instead of and a mix of extremely long
and super short lines. I don't think MS Word or other newsreaders
handle that worth a damn, judging by the formats that appear here.

Oh, bloody hell, yes. (Is there a plugin to use Word to read news?
haven't seen one, but I'm still using 97; after MS dropped the MDI, I
decided they'd lost their collective stolen copy of a hacked mind.)
I've had to hand-fix a paragraph now and then to make something
intelligible...but severe surgery is usually faster and just as
effective.

OTOH, there are some elegant things that have been done with emacs
over the years, and if it works, where's the point in replacing it?

It can't be any good if the critic doesn't use it. On the other hand
most users don't want to use the CTL and ESC keys to differentiate
command from text input.

And few bother with keyboard commands in any event; anything that can
be done with a mouse is done *solely* with a mouse, even when the
keyboard would be far faster. I won't even get into the subject of
macros; it's generally fruitless to even bring it up.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old December 30th 05, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:19:30 -0800, Mark Janeba

Michael Press writes:

Changing the Subject header in a sub-thread is permissible, even
preferable, in many cases.

When it's actually a sub-thread, yes. When it's just a reply, not.

I have changed a Subject header only to correct a misspelling.

And, as I mentioned, it was not a misspelling but rather a device used
by Charles Dickens that has made its way into literate circles for its
emphasis.

http://www.bartleby.com/73/1002.html

Dickens posted on Usenet? I've used Google groups, but I didn't find
him. :-)

It was before Deja started archiving.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old December 30th 05, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Werehatrack writes:

wrote:

Given that Jobst uses Emacs, he's got a great option in Gnus right
on his computer (M-x gnus). The current version is 5.10.6, I
think; the CVS version is 5.11. All he has to do is set up his
.gnus config file and he is in business. There are some great
e-mail client options as well.

Doesn't it bother you that what purports to be a text editor can
read your mail and news? Literally, actually, and send responses
back all without you even noticing?

Jasper, I like having a text editor that can facilitate writing
HTML, XHTML, TeX, and read newwsgroups and my e-mail. I have one
basic set of keybindings plus some mode-specific ones to remember
across all those tasks. Makes work quicker and easier.

Send responses back without my noticing? Nah.

There are old Unix users who are still searching for ways to make
emacs do the work of existing tools that are widely available, well
understood, stable, and often without cost to the user. I believe
this may be due, in part, to a mania for one-true-tool-ism. It may
also have some of the "if all you have is a hammer..." flavor about
it, perhaps reinforced by "if your tool box will only hold a hammer,
it can be hard to see the point of having a screwdriver." as well.

Hey, not so much of the old, thank you! ;-) Emacs is more of a
constantly upgradeable Swiss Army knife/Leatherman tool. It can
replace most of what's in the tool box.

OTOH, there are some elegant things that have been done with emacs
over the years, and if it works, where's the point in replacing it?

Or any other application. If it works for you, why replace it?
Old January 3rd 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Changing the title does WHAT?

Quoting :
The following is what Tin thinks a thread is and Tin is a lot older
than most newsreaders used by most participants in thei forum.

tin dates from 1991.

trn dates from mid-1990. The term "thread" for a grouping of articles
originates with trn, since it was the first threaded newsreader.

It is unfortunate that someone released a newsreader a year later that
didn't thread and called it "threaded internet news", yes.
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is First Teleute, January.
Old January 3rd 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Changing the title does WHAT? (Was: who cares.)

Quoting Michael Press :
David Damerell wrote:
No. What a "thread" is is not dependent on the observer's newsreader; it's
a property of the articles. That is the only way we can use the term
meaningfully.
That many popular newsreaders are broken is unfortunate, but really, it's
up to them to fix it.

Do you know that most news readers cannot organize article
headers according to the References headers? Which ones?

Note that I said "many" not "most", and I include in the set of broken
newsreaders those that understand References: lines but don't then display
the resulting threads as threads - for example, those implementations like
Google and tin's default behavior which then split the threads up by
subject.