Gotta Be a High Threshold

Old January 13th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

Default Gotta Be a High Threshold

http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/11448.0.html

Given that Virenque was never prohibited from racing the Tour de France
by this French anti-doping agency (AFLD), that's gotta be one
mother****ing high standard of proof to meet.

Piece of cake, Floyd.

Thanks,

Magilla
Old January 13th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
jean-yves hervé

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Given that Virenque was never prohibited from racing the Tour de France
by this French anti-doping agency (AFLD)

Uh, maybe that's because the AFLD was created in 2006 to replace the
CPLD (french bureaucrats just love to create to play withy their
alphabet soup), which was itself created in 1999, post-Festina that is.
But then you are probably not old enough to remember any of that Festina
stuff, are you?

jyh.
Old January 13th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

jean-yves herve wrote:

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Given that Virenque was never prohibited from racing the Tour de France
by this French anti-doping agency (AFLD)

Uh, maybe that's because the AFLD was created in 2006 to replace the
CPLD (french bureaucrats just love to create to play withy their
alphabet soup), which was itself created in 1999, post-Festina that is.
But then you are probably not old enough to remember any of that Festina
stuff, are you?

jyh.

No, I just exited the vagina 4 years ago and graduated college 2 years ago.

BTW, 'you're welcome' for what we did for your country on D-Day back in
June 1944. A little show of gratitude might be in order.

Thanks,

Magilla
Old January 13th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

MagillaGorilla wrote:
jean-yves herve wrote:

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Given that Virenque was never prohibited from racing the Tour de France
by this French anti-doping agency (AFLD)

Uh, maybe that's because the AFLD was created in 2006 to replace the
CPLD (french bureaucrats just love to create to play withy their
alphabet soup), which was itself created in 1999, post-Festina that is.
But then you are probably not old enough to remember any of that Festina
stuff, are you?

jyh.

No, I just exited the vagina 4 years ago and graduated college 2 years ago.

BTW, 'you're welcome' for what we did for your country on D-Day back in
June 1944. A little show of gratitude might be in order.

I thought you were better read than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

Pretty high losses for a country ("France") whose army supposedly only
ran away. High civilian death number, too. Would that have anything to
do with the Resistance and German reprisals?

http://www.angelfire.com/ct/ww2europe/stats.html

Gratitude? Even as the generation fades away... (BTW, did you notice
Dec. 7th being less fussed-over during the last few anniversaries in
the USA newspapers?)

http://veterans.senate.gov/index.cfm...eleases&id=660

Stations on the Paris Metro named in honor of American men and deeds,
the US tank that sits in the town square in Bastogne, and so on,
including the military cemetery at Normandy. Maybe you forgot about the
cememonies held in various anniversary years:

http://www.normandiememoire.com/NM60...meh/intro.html

http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/AAB1580.php

This WWII stuff is a different deal from not rolling over for USA
policy since.

We USA schoolkids never heard much about the huge numbers of Soviet war
dead, especially in relation to what terrible harm was done to the
German army on the Eastern Front by those making those sacrifices (to
express events as such). Not much room for nuance over at the Ministry
of Propaganda, apparently. --D-y

Old January 13th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:

jean-yves herve wrote:

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

[...]

The Germans occupied France. All you did is post a link that confirms
the French lost the battle and had to wait for the Americans to come and
liberate their country from the Nazi's.

I suggest you rent Saving Private Ryan.

Magilla
Old January 13th 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

MagillaGorilla wrote:
No, I just exited the vagina 4 years ago

Your real problem is finding a vagina that wants you to enter.

Old January 13th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

Donald Munro wrote:
MagillaGorilla wrote:

No, I just exited the vagina 4 years ago

Your real problem is finding a vagina that wants you to enter.

Okay Donald - I'll keep that in mind. Let me see a photo of what you
hit and I will compare that to my gorillafriend. And then we'll stop
monkeying around and start a real thread.

Take care,

Magilla
Old January 13th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

MagillaGorilla wrote:
wrote: (snip)
The Germans occupied France. All you did is post a link that confirms
the French lost the battle and had to wait for the Americans to come and
liberate their country from the Nazi's.

You might try actually reading through some of that. "What price was
paid in lives, who paid it". Again, French losses were amazingly high
for an army whose supposed main offensive tactic was to raise the arms
over the head. That was my main point, if I'm repeating here.

Yes, there was a "rescue". That can be seen as a responsibility met
very late, with an incredibly high price paid by "the little people",
as usual ("bad leadership").

What about the the Canadians? Australians? Many think they were sent to
the most dangerous battle zones on purpose.

BTW, I've seen estimates for Soviet total deaths that go to 40 million,
which would put their losses approx 10x our (USA) own.

I suggest you rent Saving Private Ryan.

Saw it. As a USA kid growing up in the 50's and 60's, the story of the
Normandy invasion was not unfamiliar. Not one bit to disrespect the
bravery/deeds/sacrifices made by the real soldiers who fought in WWII,
but that movie used a sensational first few minutes to build box
office. One of Hanks' better vehicles. Better than the lost-on-a-island
movie, the chemistry with whatshername, Helen Bed, was sorely lacking.
Pretty good ending, though.

Excuse me for being cynical, I'll get out of your chair here presently
(mmmm, nice and warm on a cold, rainy day. You're welcome!).

So, did you see enough "gratitude" in the various links and things I
mentioned? The Sherman tank in the town square of Bastogne says it all
IMHO (yes, I know Belgium and France are different countries, don't
bother picking on that point; just one of the most impressive things I
saw in Europe).

Well, not quite "all":

http://www.11tharmoreddivision.com/h...order_form.htm "Fifty-five
years is never too late".

(quoting from above): "All proceeds from this book benefit the Cercle
d'Histoire de Bastogne whose purpose, among many others, is to welcome
veterans of the Battle of the Bulge to Bastogne."

And to give just due to the crew of that tank, and many others by
extension.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/109...35103906dOioPa There's a
couple of pics of that famous Belgian general McAuliffe's bronze bust
thereabouts, too. --D-y

Old January 13th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan

I only became aware of the extent to which France owes a debt to the
USA for WWII on May 8, 2005. On that date, the French were celebrating
the 60th anniversary of the liberation of La Rochelle (a medium sized
port North of Bordeaux, where I used to spend summer vacations when I
was growing up). This date seemed a little strange to me, and then I
realised that it was exactly the same day as the German capitulation.
In other words, La Rochelle was never liberated, the Germans there were
ordered to give up by their high command. This is yet another example
of the French capacity to fool themselves as to their role in WWII (the
other is the speech by de Gaulle on the liberation of Paris, that is,
that Paris was liberated by the French, with the help of the French, no
mention of anyone else). But the main point of the La Rochelle
observation is that D-day was on June 6, 1944 and Paris was liberated
on August 25, 1944, with the help of the US army. When the French were
left to their own devices, they were unable to recover the rest of the
territory including La Rochelle and a number of other similarly
encircled port cities, even 11 months after D-Day. It was the first
time in my life that I realised that if the US had not intervened, then
France would have been under German occupation for centuries.

Otherwise, I feel that Chirac was quite explicit about the French debt
to the USA, as are many of the top French politicians. However, I
believe that there is a lot of anti-American feeling in France. The
reason is simple: the French culture has been completely superseded by
the sheer weight of the USA. In an amusing attempt to counter this, the
French Academy and the Prix Goncourt (equivalent of Pulitzer prize)
awarded best book to a horribly bad novel by American Jonathan Liddel
who "writes in French", as proof that the tide is turning.

-ilan

wrote:
MagillaGorilla wrote: