bike lights

Old May 12th 08, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Default bike lights

didds wrote:
looking for some advice...

I have available the cheapy Lidl type lights which are OK for a bit of
commuting on my old sit up and beg etc but they aren;t really suitable
for my road bike, and the fittings don;t fit anyway.

I've googled about and am rather confused now... LED sets seem to
cost anything between £15 and £500 pounds but I can;lt obviously
discern the differences online.

I don't intend to do much night riding anyway, its more a case of
riding back at twilight and BEING seen and avoiding potholes :-)

The more expensive ones are for riding at night on unlit roads. There are
cheaper alternatives to do the same job with halogen lights (from about
£35), though they need bigger batteries. You might want to invest in some
sort of powerful front light if you are cycling on country lanes. It
doesn't take long for twilight to turn to no-light.

Otherwise: The fairly cheap Smart Polaris 5 LED front light is mainly for
being seen, but is also just bright enough to help you see potholes.

Recommended rear: Cateye LD600 or LD610.

~PB

Old May 13th 08, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
didds

looking for some advice...

I have available the cheapy Lidl type lights which are OK for a bit of
commuting on my old sit up and beg etc but they aren;t really suitable
for my road bike, and the fittings don;t fit anyway.

I've googled about and am rather confused now... LED sets seem to
cost anything between £15 and £500 pounds but I can;lt obviously
discern the differences online.

I don't intend to do much night riding anyway, its more a case of
riding back at twilight and BEING seen and avoiding potholes :-)

Any suggestions?

cheers

didds
Old May 13th 08, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

didds wrote:

I don't intend to do much night riding anyway, its more a case of
riding back at twilight and BEING seen and avoiding potholes :-)

Any suggestions?

Light clip-on LEDs from someone like Cateye. If you only have them as
emergency lights put in non-rechargeable batteries and go for light
weight rather than serious lighting power. For slightly more regular
use up the weight and power and think seriously about using
rechargeables. Probably the case that a dedicated rechargeable cell and
associated lamp is over the top for this job, costing more than you need
to spend.

For the back, a seatpost mounting LED flasher should be fine.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 13th 08, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 13 May, 10:27, Peter Clinch wrote:
didds wrote:
I don't intend to do much night riding anyway, its more a case of
riding back at twilight and BEING seen and avoiding potholes :-)

There must be hundreds if not thousands of different bike lights to
choose from. If it is being seen you want then most of the cheapy LED
flashing lights will do the job as well as any other. Make sure the
front light has white LEDs not green or amber. Two cheap lights
(front and rear) are more visible than one expensive one and if one
breaks, gets nicked or has been accidentally switched on all day in
your bag you've still got one working. Maybe hedge your bets with one
on your clothing and one attached to the bike, one steady and one
blinking. Make life simple by having them all take the same type of
battery. Wilkinson's sell some bright LED lights for only a few quid
that have survived use by my kids for a couple of winters now. For
more money Cateye have the advantage of lots of different kinds of
attachments being readily available.
Old May 13th 08, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 13 May 2008 02:02:17 -0700, didds wrote:

looking for some advice...

I have available the cheapy Lidl type lights which are OK for a bit of
commuting on my old sit up and beg etc but they aren;t really suitable
for my road bike, and the fittings don;t fit anyway.

I've googled about and am rather confused now... LED sets seem to cost
anything between £15 and £500 pounds but I can;lt obviously discern the
differences online.

I don't intend to do much night riding anyway, its more a case of riding
back at twilight and BEING seen and avoiding potholes :-)

Any suggestions?

These are really neat, not so sure about avoiding potholes though :-)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=9051

bike lights It's Chris General 0 February 10th 08 07:31 AM
Bike lights to BS Nick Stewart UK 10 September 29th 06 05:47 PM
Lights: Do they need to be on the bike? Peter McCallum Australia 23 June 14th 06 01:28 AM
Break lights turn lights and handle bar lights Truepurple Techniques 30 November 17th 03 04:02 AM
bike lights ? Laurence Dodd Australia 2 August 20th 03 11:29 AM