Rear facing radar by Garmin

Old September 28th 15, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default Rear facing radar by Garmin

First radar system for bikes that warns of vehicles approaching from behind up to 140 meters.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/prod518151.html
Old September 28th 15, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 28/09/2015 09:21, Alycidon wrote:
First radar system for bikes that warns of vehicles approaching from behind up to 140 meters.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/prod518151.html

Interesting, but I wouldn't need one because I'm always aware of any
traffic behind me.
Old September 29th 15, 06:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

On 28/09/15 10:21, Alycidon wrote:
First radar system for bikes that warns of vehicles approaching from behind up to 140 meters.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/prod518151.html

That will be going off continuously where I live!

Old September 29th 15, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 29/09/2015 06:13, Tosspot wrote:
On 28/09/15 10:21, Alycidon wrote:
First radar system for bikes that warns of vehicles approaching from
behind up to 140 meters.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/prod518151.html

That will be going off continuously where I live!

140 metres?

Vehicles do not routinely travel on ordinary roads with that distance
between them. Not even on motorways.

Unless the device can be adjusted (eg, down to two or three metres gap),
it'll be effectively useless.

I'm sure that traffic in the St Gotthard Tunnel is required to leave a
gap between vehicles of 150 metres, and when you're doing that, it seems
an awfully long way to the next vehicle.
Old September 29th 15, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Tuesday, 29 September 2015 06:13:24 UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:
On 28/09/15 10:21, Alycidon wrote:
First radar system for bikes that warns of vehicles approaching from behind up to 140 meters.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/prod518151.html

That will be going off continuously where I live!

I always have my two rear lights on all of the time anyway - even on a sunny day.

Old September 30th 15, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 07:13:22 +0200, Tosspot wrote:
On 28/09/15 10:21, Alycidon wrote:
First radar system for bikes that warns of vehicles approaching
from behind up to 140 meters.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/prod518151.html

That will be going off continuously where I live!

It does seem an utterly pointless device. On my commute it wouldn't
be lit up continuously, because about half the time I'm going faster
than the motor traffic, so there isn't anything approaching from
behind. However, whenever I'm not overtaking a near-stationary queue,
it would be constant on, since there's never a 140-metre gap between
vehicles.

However, I'm struggling to understand what use it is even if you do
cycle somewhere where cars overtaking is a rare occurrence. You're
cycling along, the device lights up to say a car is approaching from
behind, what are you supposed to do? Is the idea that you dive off
the road every time a car approaches?

It seems utterly pointless.

As noted by others, if you just want to have brighter lights whenever
a car is approaching, simply have brighter lights all the time. You
can buy a lot of electricity for the 100 quid you'd save by buying the
cheaper, twice-as-bright alternative Garmin rear light.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old September 30th 15, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 30/09/2015 13:34, Ian Smith wrote:

However, I'm struggling to understand what use it is even if you do
cycle somewhere where cars overtaking is a rare occurrence. You're
cycling along, the device lights up to say a car is approaching from
behind, what are you supposed to do? Is the idea that you dive off
the road every time a car approaches?

It seems utterly pointless.

As noted by others, if you just want to have brighter lights whenever
a car is approaching, simply have brighter lights all the time. You
can buy a lot of electricity for the 100 quid you'd save by buying the
cheaper, twice-as-bright alternative Garmin rear light.

I often ride in roads where there are very few cars. It would be nice to
have a warning when a car was coming up behind me, although I think I
would prefer audible (which I normally get from the car tyres). It is
nice to have as many warnings as possible to just be aware of what is
around you.

I'm not saying this device is any good just that the idea has potential.

Old September 30th 15, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 30/09/2015 13:57, Nick wrote:
[...]

An offside rear view mirror fitted on the handlebars is all that's needed.
Old September 30th 15, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Piatkow

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 9:21:44 AM UTC+1, Alycidon wrote:
First radar system for bikes that warns of vehicles approaching from behind up to 140 meters.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/prod518151.html

There are all sorts of proximity sensors being introduced for motor vehicles so why not for bikes? It might save a life AND a motorist's no claims bonus.

With regard to the rear light, it should be at max brightness all the time.
Old September 30th 15, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

"Ian Smith" wrote
On 28/09/15 10:21, Alycidon wrote:

First radar system for bikes that warns of vehicles approaching
from behind up to 140 meters.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/prod518151.html

That will be going off continuously where I live!

However, I'm struggling to understand what use it is even if you do
cycle somewhere where cars overtaking is a rare occurrence. You're
cycling along, the device lights up to say a car is approaching from
behind, what are you supposed to do? Is the idea that you dive off
the road every time a car approaches?

Quiet road and ambling along enjoying the day, device goes off, increase
attention level and hold a steady course.

Too expensive though.

Rear facing radar to alert rider cars are following up 140m away.Really? James[_8_] Techniques 10 August 8th 15 01:36 PM
Rear facing camera. Simon Mason UK 27 October 17th 10 02:36 PM
Fake radar David Lloyd UK 30 November 21st 07 01:39 PM
Garmin eTrex Vista C and associated Garmin handlebar holder Bill-Dorset-UK UK 1 November 30th 06 06:23 PM
GPS: Garmin Forerunner vs. Garmin Foretrex mgrant Unicycling 3 January 23rd 06 08:52 PM