Unicon gliding and coasting.

Old July 8th 08, 07:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Default Unicon gliding and coasting.

I'm planning on entering the Gliding and Coasting competitions when I go
to unicon and I've decided that today will be a day to just train them.
Here are some questions I have about the event.

I'm wondering how much of an incline there usually is for the gliding?

Are you aloud to push at all like one foot wheel walking when you
glide?

Is it better to go all out as fast as possible or does slow and steady
usually win?

For coasting are there any tips or things I should know that I might
not normally do when I'm coasting?

I'm picking up some new shoes soon so I'm hoping to finish eating
through the ones I have then pick up two new pairs for gliding one for
training and then one for the competition, anything I should look for
in a good gliding shoe?

Any tricks like putting something on my shoe so it doesn't die as
fast?

For the gliding should I remove my cranks? I can do a running mount
into gliding so I don't NEED them but I can usually get a bit faster if
I ride one footed first then go into gliding, so is it worth the loss in
speed?

Are there any turns in the track for either?

Ok hopefully that is all for now!

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old July 8th 08, 11:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ca99medina

Hi ntappin
If you are going to compete in the coasting and gliding events it will
be nice if you know the competition rules. This is taken from the IUF
2008 Competition Rulebook. This are the rules used at the Unicons. I
hope this answer some of your questions.

Good luck and see you at the Unicon!!!
Carlos

6.1.11 Coasting
Unless stated differently in coasting figures, the feet are to have no
contact with any rotating part of the unicycle (pedals, crank arms, or
tire).

53 a Gliding Riding with one foot on the wheel and the other foot
resting on the frame, maintaining balance only by the braking action of
the foot on the wheel. The braking foot is not touching the frame.

2.18.12 Coasting Events
An event to see who can coast the farthest distance. Riders’ coasting
distances are measured from a ‘starting line’ with a 5 meter minimum,
which will be marked by a 'qualifying line.' If the rider does not
cross the qualifying line it will count as a failed attempt. The
farthest distance from the line wins. The distance is measured to the
rearmost part of the rider that touches the ground when dismounting, or
to the rear of the tire where the rider stops coasting. Remounting is
not allowed.
Riders must not touch any part of their tires, wheels or pedals while
coasting. Riders get two attempts. If a rider crosses the coasting line
(front of the tire) not in coasting position, he or she is disqualified
in that attempt. The riding surface should be as smooth and clean as
possible, and it may be straight or curved. Ample time must be allowed
for all competitors to make some practice runs on the course before the
official start. The type of event(s) to be used should be announced well
in advance of the competition. Crank arm rules do not apply in any
coasting or gliding events.
2.18.12.1 Road Coasting
This event is best held on a roadway with a very slight downward slope.
Riders are allowed an unlimited distance to speed up and start coasting
before the starting line.
2.18.12.2 Track Coasting
30 meter starting distance. This event is held only on a track, or a
very level, smooth surface. Wind must be at a minimum for records to be
set and broken. This event can be compared with other races at different
tracks worldwide.
2.18.12.3 Downhill Coasting
This is a speed coasting event, with the same rules as section
2.18.13.2 “Downhill Glide,” except riders must be coasting instead of
gliding. Dismounts before the finish line disqualify the rider in that
attempt. The slope must be very gradual for this event to be safe, and
helmets are mandatory.
2.18.13 Gliding Events
Gliding is like coasting, but with one or both feet dragging on top of
the tire to provide balance from the braking action. These events are
similar to the coasting events above, with riders gliding for time or
distance from a given point. The rules are the same as for the coasting
events (above) with the addition that the riding surface must be dry.
Coasting is allowed.
2.18.13.1 Slope Glide Or Track Glide
A slope glide can be done on a small hill. Riders start on the hill,
gliding down to level ground and continuing as far as they can before
stopping. This event can have a limited starting distance, or no
starting distance at all, with riders gliding from a dead stop. If it
is a Track Glide, it is held on a track with the same rules as Track
Coasting (see section 2.18.12.2).
2.18.13.2 Downhill Glide
A downhill race for speed. Riders start from a standstill, or speed up
to the ‘starting line.’ Riders are timed over a measured distance to
the finish line. Dismounts before the finish line disqualify the rider
in that attempt. Helmets are mandatory.

--
ca99medina

Visit my page:
'www.uniciclos.com' (http://www.uniciclos.com)
Old July 8th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

1. Incline: If the schedule indicates Gliding is at the track, zero.
Otherwise, got to try to find out from someone there. See rules for the
details of downhill vs. track gliding.

2. If you push, it's no longer gliding. Your run ends when you push.

3. If downhill it's for time, if on the track it's for distance.

4. Coasting tips: Go as far as you can. Maybe someone who knows what
you normally do when coasting can be more helpful.

5. A good gliding shoe doesn't have a thin bottom like a pair of
Converse or something. Get a thicker sole. I prefer knobby soles.

6. Taking off cranks can be helpful for downhill gliding. Or just
pedals; the cranks don't cause much wobble.

Enjoy!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old July 8th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Cool thanks guys, I did a lot of gliding today, I was gliding until my
soul melted, such a great feeling! I'm wearing Five-Tens and I like
them but sometimes when the soul gets to a certain temperature the shoe
starts to bounce, once it is above that temperature or below it, it is
fine, but there is a magical temperature I have to avoid.

Coasting I definitely need to work on, ever since I learned to glide my
coasting has gone downhill (pun intended).

Hopefully tomorrow I can work on both.

Thanks guys, I don't think I will be in medal range in any events
thanks to my injury in Hong Kong killing a great deal of my training
time, but I can't wait to still compete at Unicon!

coasting amanda.gallacher Unicycling 3 August 1st 05 07:36 PM
coasting vs. gliding ColDawG Unicycling 8 May 26th 05 08:01 PM
Coasting unipsychogirl Unicycling 18 April 16th 05 02:42 PM
Coasting Roger General 24 August 18th 04 03:16 AM
coasting nickvb123 Unicycling 16 June 13th 04 11:54 AM