Method for finding a creak

Old June 3rd 11, 12:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Method for finding a creak

On May 31, 3:15*am, Andre Jute wrote:
Okay, the creak wasn't in the bottom bracket, the crank or the pedal
fixings, which have all been disassembled, greased and retorqued. THE
CREAK IS STILL THERE.

If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.

What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

Thanks.

Andre Jute
Frustrated

Does it happen when you walk, long or short stride?
Old June 3rd 11, 12:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On May 31, 3:15*am, Andre Jute wrote:
Okay, the creak wasn't in the bottom bracket, the crank or the pedal
fixings, which have all been disassembled, greased and retorqued. THE
CREAK IS STILL THERE.

If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.

What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

Thanks.

Andre Jute
Frustrated

I think you need to use a mirror.
Old June 3rd 11, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Coolmaine

On May 31, 3:15*am, Andre Jute wrote:
Okay, the creak wasn't in the bottom bracket, the crank or the pedal
fixings, which have all been disassembled, greased and retorqued. THE
CREAK IS STILL THERE.

If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.

What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

Thank you, gentlemen.

It turned out not to be the Brooks B73, though some it's nuts had come
loose. When they were done up, the creak was still there. The axle
fitting and wheel hangers were checked at the same time as I serviced
the bottom bracket; the chain and cogs ditto, and it isn't the Hebie
Chainglider.. After some thought I decided that it would take less
time simply to check every nut and bolt remaining than to apply a
stethoscope possibly forever in the hope of finding this elusive
creak. The Magura rim hydraulic calipers were firmly attached, so were
the mudguard stays, so was each and every spoke in both wheels. I also
checked everything about the headset and the handlebar, and tightened
up everything that was loose. Still the creak remained.

In this logical progression, the last two two things remaining were
the rack and the cyclist (and I'm nowhere near as old and decrepit and
creaky as poor Trevor).

It turned out to the Tubus Cosmo rack. See my separate post about
this !@£$%^&* rack.

Thank you once more for your help.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLING.html
Old June 4th 11, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article om,
Nick wrote:

On 31/05/2011 03:15, Andre Jute wrote:
Okay, the creak wasn't in the bottom bracket, the crank or the pedal
fixings, which have all been disassembled, greased and retorqued. THE
CREAK IS STILL THERE.

If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.

What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

Thanks.

Andre Jute
Frustrated

I had similar. It turned out to be the clip mechanism on the SPD pedals.
When I changed the position of my foot e.g. standing up, it went away.

I poured some oil over the clip springs and this fixed it.

I would have used "i.e." there, since standing up is
the one thing you did. Using e.g. implies standing up
is one of a number of acts that you know would isolate
the creak, and does not imply that you used any of them.

"I.e." stands for "id est" and means roughly "that is".
"E.g." stands for "exempli gratia", which means "for example".

--
Michael Press
Old June 5th 11, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jun 3, 10:50*pm, Coolmaine wrote:
On May 31, 3:15*am, Andre Jute wrote:

Okay, the creak wasn't in the bottom bracket, the crank or the pedal
fixings, which have all been disassembled, greased and retorqued. THE
CREAK IS STILL THERE.

If I stand up on the pedals, the creak goes away.

What I need is a suggestion of where to look next.

Thank you, gentlemen.

It turned out not to be the Brooks B73, though some it's nuts had come
loose. When they were done up, the creak was still there. The axle

Ah, so it wasn't there then. It cou;ld have been your shoes/feet
http://youtu.be/3I0Epeg_Eu8?t=2m58s

Old June 5th 11, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Jun 4, 7:50*am, Coolmaine wrote:

It turned out not to be the Brooks B73, though some it's nuts had come
loose.

The cool weather prevents such things, here, at the moment.

The past week has been beautiful. Cool nights, down to zero C, and
blue sky during the day. Next week looks to be a bad one for riding
bike. Rain, showers, thunder storms, hail, snow on the nearby hills,
etc. Ugh.

--
JS.
Old June 5th 11, 09:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Coolmaine

On Jun 5, 7:54*am, James wrote:

The past week has been beautiful. *Cool nights, down to zero C, and
blue sky during the day. *Next week looks to be a bad one for riding
bike. *Rain, showers, thunder storms, hail, snow on the nearby hills,
etc. *Ugh.

Hell, yes, I remember the changeability of Melbourne weather, the
least attractive element of one of the truly great cities of the
world. Brilliant sunshine in Collins St but by the time I arrived home
at St Vincent Place in Albert Park snow was falling heavily. And that
was the late spring. We used to call it Red Robbo Weather, for the
beau ideal of the pommie wreckers who were the bane of management at
the time. -- Andre Jute

Old June 5th 11, 12:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 6/5/2011 1:54 AM, James wrote:
On Jun 4, 7:50�am, wrote:

It turned out not to be the Brooks B73, though some it's nuts had come
loose.

The cool weather prevents such things, here, at the moment.

The past week has been beautiful. Cool nights, down to zero C, and
blue sky during the day. Next week looks to be a bad one for riding
bike. Rain, showers, thunder storms, hail, snow on the nearby hills,
etc. Ugh.

Sounds like you need a locally made velomobile for weather protection.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old June 5th 11, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jun 5, 4:37*am, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 6/5/2011 1:54 AM, James wrote:

On Jun 4, 7:50 am, *wrote:

It turned out not to be the Brooks B73, though some it's nuts had come
loose.

The cool weather prevents such things, here, at the moment.

The past week has been beautiful. *Cool nights, down to zero C, and
blue sky during the day. *Next week looks to be a bad one for riding
bike. *Rain, showers, thunder storms, hail, snow on the nearby hills,
etc. *Ugh.

Sounds like you need a locally made velomobile for weather protection.

Meanwhile, here in the land of rain, it was 80 degrees yesterday under
blue skies. The 30 degree temperature swing wiped me out. I didn't
have a lot of time to ride because I had to do an outdoor concert and
a parade, but just a 30-35 mile ride felt like twice that. It's nice
again today, but we're going to get thunder showers-- you can just
feel it. My legs are sore from marching through Portland, and I had
to do a bunch of yard work, but its off for a ride on the horsey bike!
My clicking horsey bike, but I know exactly what causes the click --
the rear axle/dropout face. -- Jay Beattie.
Old June 5th 11, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 6/5/2011 1:55 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jun 5, 4:37�am, T�m Sherm�n� �_�""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 6/5/2011 1:54 AM, James wrote:

On Jun 4, 7:50 am, �wrote:

It turned out not to be the Brooks B73, though some it's nuts had come
loose.

The cool weather prevents such things, here, at the moment.

The past week has been beautiful. �Cool nights, down to zero C, and
blue sky during the day. �Next week looks to be a bad one for riding
bike. �Rain, showers, thunder storms, hail, snow on the nearby hills,
etc. �Ugh.

Sounds like you need a locally made velomobile for weather protection.

Meanwhile, here in the land of rain, it was 80 degrees yesterday under
blue skies. The 30 degree temperature swing wiped me out. I didn't
have a lot of time to ride because I had to do an outdoor concert and
a parade, but just a 30-35 mile ride felt like twice that. It's nice
again today, but we're going to get thunder showers-- you can just

Better thunderstorms than slow rain all day long.

feel it. My legs are sore from marching through Portland, and I had

You need to ride on Chalo's band platform trike instead of marching.

to do a bunch of yard work, but its off for a ride on the horsey bike!

Good to see you have learned the proper terminology.

My clicking horsey bike, but I know exactly what causes the click --
the rear axle/dropout face.

Is the axle moving relative to the frame?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

CreakCreakCreakCreak Patrick W Techniques 10 November 2nd 05 10:07 PM
Creak as you are spoken to Just zis Guy, you know? UK 12 August 22nd 05 12:37 PM
BB creak Claudius Vitalis Techniques 0 July 13th 05 10:16 PM
qu-ax creak skicker Unicycling 5 March 18th 05 11:38 AM
Creak in new bike Michael Warner Australia 16 March 24th 04 11:13 PM