Suspension forks

Old March 11th 04, 04:43 PM
JO

Default Suspension forks

I am looking for a reasonably priced suspension fork to add to my
mountain bike (GT Corrado ~ 1995). I mostly bike difficult terrain
(logs, rocks, jumps) and do fine without the suspension, but would
like to eliminate some of the stress. I would even be interested in
used forks, but I am overwhelmed by the number of options (Manitou,
Marzocchi, Rockshox, Fox) - I don't need anything fancy, I just want a
good deal for around $200 +/- $50. Any suggestions on who delivers the
best value for hard hitting biking (even if more expensive, would
appreciate the input). Thanks, JO.

Old April 11th 04, 02:31 AM
plowtechie

A couple of things: early 90's bikes that were not built for syspension
forks will experience a change in head angle when adding a suspension fork,
this means slower steering. Secondly, if using cantalever brakes you'll
either have to find a fork that supports that kind of brake or change your
brakes - I believe RST makes a cheapy fork that will do the job. Thirdly, if
you've got a one inch head tube you'll have a hard time finding a supported
fork - maybe the RST. But I've done exactly what you want to do with a
couple of Bridgestone MB1's and am very happy with the outcome. I've bought
several Manitou forks on eBay, Manitou 2, 3 & 4. rebuilt them and they work
great. My recommendation is the Manitou 3 with Speed Springs - also found on
ebay. This will give you a couple of inches of compression, be sure to match
the spring with your weight when making eBay purchase. There may be those
that consider two inchs as not enough, but I'll tell you that going from
none to two inches is a world of difference. You can mix springs with
elastomeres, each leg different, or all springs. Springs work at any
temperature and with zero maintenance - nothing else does quite as well.

Phil

- remove the Z's for eMail address.

posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see
http://rbor.org/