Goodbye, Flying Pigeon

Old March 8th 04, 06:36 PM
Luigi de Guzman

Default Goodbye, Flying Pigeon

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...004Mar7_3.html

The PRC has now embraced the automobile culture.

The "true bastion of iron" will soon no longer be the masses, but a
fuel-gulper SUV.

This was to be predicted, of course.

-Luigi
Old March 8th 04, 07:41 PM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:36:48 -0500, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...004Mar7_3.html

The PRC has now embraced the automobile culture.

The "true bastion of iron" will soon no longer be the masses, but a
fuel-gulper SUV.

This was to be predicted, of course.

Don't be glum, chum. Remember that almost everything you buy nowadays
is made in China. Remember also that they hold about half of this
country's T-bills.

In a free global marketplace, they will be able to outbid US oil
companies for petroleum. Is that a bad thing?

At worst, the US will become a nation of bicycles and rickshaws in
teeming cities, something that shouldn't sadden you. Meanwhile, the
Chinese will inherit the health problems that go along with the SUV
culture you decry and they will become their own worst enemies.

At best, American ingenuity will come up with a substitute for fossil
energy utilizing renewable resources independent of the snake-pit that
the Middle East will become when we cut and run after kerry's
election. Using this new energy source, the US will remain a
superpower.

Either way, it looks like you win.
Old March 9th 04, 12:30 AM
Dane Jackson

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...004Mar7_3.html

The PRC has now embraced the automobile culture.

I was doing okay until I got to here.

===
"It gave me the feeling that my husband really loves me," she says,
looking ahead to the day she can park it in the driveway in front
of her newly renovated home,
===

Ick. I'm sure that would play well in any modern car commercial.

The "true bastion of iron" will soon no longer be the masses, but a
fuel-gulper SUV.

Just because they are having plenty of time to see us make (what you
and I consider) really dumb mistakes. Doesn't mean that they'll learn
from us and not do truly bone-headed things exactly like us.

This was to be predicted, of course.

Excuse me while I go rinse my mouth out. Something has left a bad
taste in it.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to