Replace shifter cable

Old March 28th 19, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Replace shifter cable

I took my bike to a shop to have the shifter adjusted.

Often when I shifted to a new gear, I would hear a clicking sound.

The tech told me that my shifter cables were the metal type and that they stretched over time.

They have new ones that do not stretch.

I saw a video on replacing the cable and it looks like something I can do.

What are your thoughts?

Andy
Old March 28th 19, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/28/2019 9:04 AM, AK wrote:
I took my bike to a shop to have the shifter adjusted.

Often when I shifted to a new gear, I would hear a clicking sound.

The tech told me that my shifter cables were the metal type and that they stretched over time.

They have new ones that do not stretch.

I saw a video on replacing the cable and it looks like something I can do.

What are your thoughts?

Andy

None of that is true. Something happened, but not that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 28th 19, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 9:43:08 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/28/2019 9:04 AM, AK wrote:
I took my bike to a shop to have the shifter adjusted.

Often when I shifted to a new gear, I would hear a clicking sound.

The tech told me that my shifter cables were the metal type and that they stretched over time.

They have new ones that do not stretch.

I saw a video on replacing the cable and it looks like something I can do.

What are your thoughts?

Andy

None of that is true. Something happened, but not that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

He also made some adjustments and lubed the chain with something that smelled terrible.

Old March 28th 19, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 7:43:08 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/28/2019 9:04 AM, AK wrote:
I took my bike to a shop to have the shifter adjusted.

Often when I shifted to a new gear, I would hear a clicking sound.

The tech told me that my shifter cables were the metal type and that they stretched over time.

They have new ones that do not stretch.

I saw a video on replacing the cable and it looks like something I can do.

What are your thoughts?

Andy

None of that is true. Something happened, but not that.

And yes, Andy can change a shift cable unless he has no hands -- or he has some other significant disability. It is about the easiest bike repair job there is, assuming he doesn't have some bizarre internal cable routing. With YouTube/Park Tool videos, all mysteries are solved.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 28th 19, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/28/2019 9:04 AM, AK wrote:
I took my bike to a shop to have the shifter adjusted.

Often when I shifted to a new gear, I would hear a clicking sound.

The tech told me that my shifter cables were the metal type and that they stretched over time.

They have new ones that do not stretch.

I saw a video on replacing the cable and it looks like something I can do.

What are your thoughts?

None of that is true. Something happened, but not that.

He also made some adjustments and lubed the chain with something that smelled terrible.

Did it work well after? There are all sorts of lubricants
and people like what they like but most work just fine for
this application.

Old March 28th 19, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/28/2019 9:04 AM, AK wrote:
I took my bike to a shop to have the shifter adjusted.

Often when I shifted to a new gear, I would hear a clicking sound.

The tech told me that my shifter cables were the metal type and that they stretched over time.

They have new ones that do not stretch.

I saw a video on replacing the cable and it looks like something I can do.

What are your thoughts?

Andy

None of that is true. Something happened, but not that.

And yes, Andy can change a shift cable unless he has no hands -- or he has some other significant disability. It is about the easiest bike repair job there is, assuming he doesn't have some bizarre internal cable routing. With YouTube/Park Tool videos, all mysteries are solved.

-- Jay Beattie.

Right.
But the old steel wire didn't stretch and the new steel wire
isn't magic or different in that regard.

Old March 28th 19, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 7:04:28 AM UTC-7, AK wrote:
I took my bike to a shop to have the shifter adjusted.

Often when I shifted to a new gear, I would hear a clicking sound.

The tech told me that my shifter cables were the metal type and that they stretched over time.

They have new ones that do not stretch.

I saw a video on replacing the cable and it looks like something I can do..

What are your thoughts?

Andy

While metal shift and brake cables can initially "tighten" up which makes them slightly longer, this is usually taken out by the person installing them by applying the brakes hard and shifting the gears several times. This isn't stretching but a woven cable tightening its weave.

After that which is so slight that most mechanics don't even notice that is what is happening as they adjust everything, these cables do not change in length. Instead they can wear, shred and break. This isn't too uncommon on the steel cables that are Teflon coated. I can't remember that occurring with stainless steel cables.

If the gears make noise when shifting that can come from two sources - wear in the shift mechanism and slippage at the cable attachment site which means it wasn't properly tightened. That is fairly unusual. Though the wear on the shifting mechanism isn't. This shows up as it grows harder and harder to get the gears properly adjusted with them making noise in one direction or the other until it is almost impossible to get it to shift properly.

This is usually caused initially by not changing the chain or lubing it enough. Because of this you have to force the lever over to shift and this wears the inner ratchet mechanism.

I have read that the only lubricant that really reduces friction is Rock and Roll. This is a Teflon containing compound composed mostly of solvent which cleans the chain and the Teflon which is washed into the rollers of the chain by heavy application of the solvent. After application you should allow it to dry overnight.

I have not found this to be a very good lubricant though and it is expensive as hell and you have to use a large amount when applying it.

The most successful lubricants I've used are wax based. They usually have to dry overnight as well. Some people such a Frank seem to have successfully used actual wax such as candle wax but my testing hasn't shown the least advantage.
Old March 28th 19, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/28/2019 10:04 AM, AK wrote:
I took my bike to a shop to have the shifter adjusted.

Often when I shifted to a new gear, I would hear a clicking sound.

The tech told me that my shifter cables were the metal type and that they stretched over time.

They have new ones that do not stretch.

I saw a video on replacing the cable and it looks like something I can do.

What are your thoughts?

Andrew and Jay have given your answers. I'll just add that I wonder
where the "tech" guy got his ideas.

It may be that he's like most guys, vulnerable to what Jobst used to
call the "male answer syndrome" - just make something up based on
whatever limited knowledge you may have, but never admit that you may
not know.

It also may be that he's got something he really wants to sell, and
recognizes that he can snag people with a fanciful sales pitch.

Metal bike cables do not stretch to any measurable degree. Other stuff
can happen to them, but not measurable stretch.

--
- Frank Krygowski