Wheel Build Spoke length info?

Old September 4th 03, 03:54 PM
Matt Peeler

Default Wheel Build Spoke length info?

I recently had to change frames from a 7sp to a 9sp and I bought a new
rear wheel for it when I got the new frame. I am wanting to build a
backup 700c wheel for it. I have a velocity arrowhead rim that was
built on a 7sp 105 hub that was the backup for my 7sp frame. Its
rarely been used. Would those spokes work if I got a 9sp hub for it or
is the width change actually in the hub body? If not, where can I find
the spoke length I would need for the drive/non-drive sides of the
wheel.

I recently built a front wheel OPEN4/105 hub and with my dishing tool
and truing stand it is working great so I feel pretty good about
trying a rear wheel build.

thanks in advance

Matt P
Old September 4th 03, 04:33 PM
Terry Morse

Matt Peeler wrote:

where can I find the spoke length I would need for the
drive/non-drive sides of the wheel.

Download spocalc, an Excel spreadsheet:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm
Old September 4th 03, 06:53 PM
John Black

Try Damon Rinard's spocalc program. Just google Damon Rinard and you
will find it easily.
Old September 5th 03, 02:25 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

aaron- I have a velocity arrowhead rim that was
built on a 7sp 105 hub that was the backup for my 7sp frame. Its
rarely been used. Would those spokes work if I got a 9sp hub for it or
is the width change actually in the hub body? BRBR

Sure, they would be fine. The differences in hub center to flange for 7s and 9s
are small-

I recently built a front wheel OPEN4/105 hub and with my dishing tool
and truing stand it is working great so I feel pretty good about
trying a rear wheel build. BRBR

Good for you, it's how we all started, one wheel at a time-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302