Bicycle Magazine - familiar picture

Old December 10th 05, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Bicycle Magazine - familiar picture

I don't subscribe to Bicycle magazine (it looks like it is predominantly
a product catalog to me), but being a member of Team Performance (for
the 10% discount) has Bicycle magazine wooing me to subscribe. It seems
the longer I ignore them, the more free issues they send my way.

Before tossing it in the recycle bin I noticed an article by Bruce
Hildebrand about the best places to go ride in 2006, so I took a quick
look. It's a very brief summary of some great places to ride (Tuscany,
Crusty Butt, Madonna di Ghisallo, Alpe d'Heuz, Moab, Napa & Sonoma
Valleys, and Bormio).

And there on Page 65 is familiar picture to anyone that has participated
here for any length of time. I'm surprised it's not credited, nor is
the rider named. (Jobst Brandt on The Gavia)

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old December 10th 05, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Chuck Anderson wrote:

And there on Page 65 is familiar picture to anyone that has participated
here for any length of time. I'm surprised it's not credited, nor is
the rider named. (Jobst Brandt on The Gavia)

If it's the one I'm thinking of, that photo also appeared in the May
1980 issue of "Bicycling" (it was a much better magazine back then,
IMHO). It's on page p 80, in the article "Jobst Brandt- the Force Who
Rides"

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old December 10th 05, 05:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

And there on Page 65 is familiar picture to anyone that has participated
here for any length of time. I'm surprised it's not credited, nor is
the rider named. (Jobst Brandt on The Gavia)

None of photos were credited in that article. Even if they own the
rights, its still nice to know who shot them and ideally when. I
believe that section of road Jobst is cycling on in the photo (Bormio
side of Passo dello Stelvio?) has been replaced by a narrow (dangerous)
tunnel. The old road still exists but it was littered with rocks and
debris when I walked my bike along it in 2002.

best places to go ride in 2006

I guess the listed destinations beat out the best 2005 destinations?
-

--
Steve
www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

Old December 10th 05, 09:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Chuck Anderson wrote:
[...]

Chuck, just curious. Were you making an intentional typo for "Crested
Butte?" If so, could you elaborate on this please as I at one time had
made plans to go there for a cycling vacation. I had to change my plans
but still am curious about going there.

Kenny

Old December 10th 05, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Kenny wrote:

Chuck Anderson wrote:

Before tossing it in the recycle bin I noticed an article by Bruce
Hildebrand about the best places to go ride in 2006, so I took a quick
look. It's a very brief summary of some great places to ride (Tuscany,
Crusty Butt, Madonna di Ghisallo, Alpe d'Heuz, Moab, Napa & Sonoma
Valleys, and Bormio).

Chuck, just curious. Were you making an intentional typo for "Crested
Butte?" If so, could you elaborate on this please as I at one time had
made plans to go there for a cycling vacation. I had to change my plans
but still am curious about going there.

Yeah. The article said that locals call it CB, and well, I've come to
know that as something different. CB is what I used to talk to truckers
when I drove across country.

Anyway, the nickname is not meant to be derogatory (unless it's meant to
keep crowds at bay). There is no doubt about it - Crested Butte is a
cyclist's dream, from the excellent variety of world class trails to the
bike racks up and down main street full of mountain bikes, ...
reminiscent of horses in the old days.

It has gotten a lot more touristy in the last 10 - 15 years (the
increased price of accommodations, boutiques replacing hardware stores,
tourists spending their whole vacation shopping), but the dramatic
mountains and trails are still there, still as challenging, and still as
breathtaking. It's far from becoming like Aspen or Vail. It still has
that rustic mountain town look and feel.

There are easy trails, extremely severe trails, and everything in
between, so be sure to get a good map (ask at bike stores), and choose
trails to suit your abilities.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old December 10th 05, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

David Dermott wrote:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, that photo also appeared in the May 1980 issue of "Bicycling" (it was a much better magazine back then, IMHO). It's on page p 80, in the article "Jobst Brandt- the Force Who Rides"

Hey, thanks for the tip! I haven't looked through my stash of old
Bicycling mags for many years. I managed to find the article, and it
was a good read. There's also an article on Phil Wood in the same
issue. Yes, it certainly was a much better publication back then.

Art Harris

Old December 12th 05, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Chuck Anderson wrote:
It has gotten a lot more touristy in the last 10 - 15 years (the
increased price of accommodations, boutiques replacing hardware stores,
tourists spending their whole vacation shopping), but the dramatic
mountains and trails are still there, still as challenging, and still as
breathtaking. It's far from becoming like Aspen or Vail. It still has
that rustic mountain town look and feel.

I tremember back when Crested Butte advertised itself as the
anti-Aspen...a place where you could ski in your jeans.

Dick Durbin

Old December 13th 05, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 21:55:17 -0800, steephill wrote:

And there on Page 65 is familiar picture to anyone that has participated
here for any length of time. I'm surprised it's not credited, nor is
the rider named. (Jobst Brandt on The Gavia)

None of photos were credited in that article. Even if they own the rights,
its still nice to know who shot them and ideally when.

What else would you expect from such a low-class operation?

Matt O.

Old December 13th 05, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Chuck Anderson wrote:
I don't subscribe to Bicycle magazine (it looks like it is predominantly
a product catalog to me), but being a member of Team Performance (for
the 10% discount) has Bicycle magazine wooing me to subscribe. It seems
the longer I ignore them, the more free issues they send my way.

Before tossing it in the recycle bin I noticed an article by Bruce
Hildebrand about the best places to go ride in 2006, so I took a quick
look. It's a very brief summary of some great places to ride (Tuscany,
Crusty Butt, Madonna di Ghisallo, Alpe d'Heuz, Moab, Napa & Sonoma
Valleys, and Bormio).

An interesting mix of locales with an icon thrown in for some strange
reason. The Madonna di Ghisallo is not a place to ride, it is an icon
at a destination, the small church in the village of Magreglio in the
hills overlooking Lago di Lecco. The church is an interesting
destination mainly for the museum collection it houses, including bikes
of Coppi, Bartali, Motta, and others, all of which are destined to be
moved from the church to the neighboring museum when it is finished.
The approach to Magreglio from the north, coming from Bellagio, is the
more interesting, the one from the south the easier (the road from the
north pitches up to 14% in places). Almost as interesting is Notre
Dame de Cyclistes outside of Lasbastides d'Armagnac; the area is not as
scenic, but the collection of cycling memorabilia is more eclectic,
including utility cycling gear as well as racing bikes.

I am surprised at the inclusion of Napa and Sonoma counties; they are
rather crowded. Napa has some of the busiest rural roads in the
country. And Napa and Sonoma have the highest rates of cycling related
accidents in the state. Too many distracted, partially or wholly
inebriated drivers for my taste, at least in the more popular areas.

And your list does not include the Dolomites, which have to be on
anyone's top ten lists. What clown made up this list, anyway?

- rick

Old December 13th 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"Rick" writes:

And your list does not include the Dolomites, which have to be on
anyone's top ten lists. What clown made up this list, anyway?

Bruce Hildebrand, apparently, although I haven't seenit myself. Bruce
is a friend of Andy Hampsten and squired the Banesto team in their US
training camp the year Hampsten was riding with them. He wrote some
interesting stuff about training with Indurain in the mountains.

Bruce was a frequent contributor to rec.bikes but he has not posted in
years, AFAIK. He seemed like a smart guy. He seems to be a sports
journalist these days:

http://www.hampsten.com/Bikes/ClassicRoad/andy_alpe.pdf

and has written a few items in the FAQ:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/5.6.html

and is known to a number of r.b.t denizens:

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Recreat...erraSpring.htm