Replace whole chainset if replace front chainring?

Old July 7th 04, 05:14 PM
Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)

Default Replace whole chainset if replace front chainring?

Thanks for your advice, everyone. I've just placed an order for Shimano LX
M571 splined crankset and a 121mm LX ES51 splined BB. Goody!

Jack.

"andres muro" wrote in message
om...
you should be able to replace the broken chainring w/o any problems.
the rest of your drivetrain should continue to work fine.

Andres

"Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)" wrote in

message ...
Hi,

I need to replace my front chainring 'cause it's broke. Will I have to
replace my entire chainset? People have told me that the entire

chainset
stretches with use and so if you replace one component, you have to

replace
the whole lot. I've probably used my bike for at least 1000 rides.

Thanks,
Jack

PS - this thread is related to my one below asking "Fractured front

cog?"

Old July 12th 04, 09:41 PM
Rick Onanian

Wow! What a cross-post list!

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:51:59 -0400, Alex Rodriguez
wrote:
If you are only getting 1k miles from your chain, you are doing something
wrong. I've gotten over 15k miles out of a chain when I sold the bike it
was on. Keeping it clean and lubed is important. If all you do is lube
your dirty chain, then 1k miles is a lot.

There was a recent semi-scientific experiment done by one
rec.bicycles person which makes that advice questionable. He used a
chain with two quicklinks; he cleaned & lubed half the chain
regularly, and the other half he just kept adding lube without
cleaning. The cleaned half was slightly (barely) _more_ worn than
the half that was not cleaned.
--
Rick Onanian