italy or denmark?

Old February 1st 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
dorkypants

Default italy or denmark?

On Jan 30, 10:12 pm, "sergio" wrote:
I know nothing at all about Tuttocitta'. The TCI 1/200000 maps are all
you need to cycle on regular roads. Even an old edition serves well. A
new road is almost invariably a four-lane or something you would not
take anyhow; the only real problem is with new local detours thgrough
tunnels or tunnels that have been joined and turned into a much longer
quagmire for a cyclist. Of which there are a good number,
unfortunately.

I respectfully disagree. I'm pretty sure the TCI maps don't show a
very quiet back roads route from Romano d'Ezzelino to Asolo that I've
done lots of times, nor the back roads route from Bassano del Grappa
to Marostica which avoids most of the high-traffic provincial road
which is the direct route between the two. In fact, neither route was
to be found on any printed maps (I finally found a map about 3 years
ago which showed the roads for the Asolo route, but it had errors
elsewhere). The map websites have all of these details (to be fair,
they are of much more recent vintage, and Google only added hi-res
imagery and map data for Italy starting about 2006--in time for the
Winter Olympics in Torino).

The same applies to maps of Piemonte, by the way. So I've taken to
carrying a GPS to record where I've been on my bike in order to make
my own maps.

That appears to be an unnecessary luxury, to me.

Personal experience. None of the maps I've used has been accurate,
especially in the flatlands. I need accurate maps for my paying
customers on my tours. Therefore, I use the GPS recorded tracks
overlaid on existing maps. Cyclists exploring on their own for
recreation, I agree, can probably cope with errors on the maps they
carry without resort to a GPS. Anyway, I use a unit which only cost me
$120 (Garmin ForeRunner 201), not one of those full-blown in-car
navigation gadgets which run $500-plus, and it's been well worth it.

Old February 1st 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
sergio

On Feb 1, 7:00 am, "dorkypants" wrote:
I know nothing at all about Tuttocitta'. The TCI 1/200000 maps are all
you need to cycle on regular roads. Even an old edition serves well.

I respectfully disagree. I'm pretty sure the TCI maps don't show a
very quiet back roads route from Romano d'Ezzelino to Asolo that I've
done lots of times, nor the back roads route from Bassano del Grappa
to Marostica which avoids ...

Then, it just boils down to semantics. When I said 'regular' roads, I
meant exactly those that one would call backroads, whether paved ot
not.
Everywhere in this country, more in flatland than on the mountains,
you would find backroads not reported at the 1/200000 level.

This said, I admit you know the Bassano, Asolo, Marostica area better
than I do, although I am rather well acquainted with it.
In fact, after staying in Piazzola sul Brenta overnight, I carried
over to Marostica, met a friend outside the Battaglin Cycle Factory
and did a morning loop ride in the area, just less than two weeks
ago.

Sergio
Pisa

Old February 4th 07, 08:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Garry Lee

Sergio, regular roads (we would call them ordinary roads) to me would
mean any road other than extraordinary roads, such as bike paths,
unsurfaced roads or motorways. It's the old linguistic problem of what
meanings words or phrases have in particular areas!