Coker Saddle Comments and questions

Old June 17th 04, 10:57 AM
Kokomo Juggler

Default Coker Saddle Comments and questions

I got a new Coker this year. It came with a Viscount saddle. I have an older
saddle from a Tom Miller made 20" uni, which I've been using instead. It has
a metal base, a piece of foam, and a flexible cover.

I've experimented with all kinds of combinations.
I removed the foam and replaced with an innertube.
I put the innertube on top of the foam.
I put the innertube under the foam.
I bent the front part of the seat down to give more room for my testicles.
I got some softer foam from some packing material.
I bent the front part down even more.

Now I seem to have solved the testicle problem, but now I have a lot of
pressure on 2 pieces of my pelvis. That seems to be where all the weight is.
I'm wondering if it would help to cut holes in the foam where these bones
rest. I also wonder if a wider seat would help distribute the weight better.

I'm really envious of those of you that go for long rides. I can only go
about 4 miles at a time due to saddle discomfort.

Any advice?

Thanks!

--
All Glory to God!

Old June 17th 04, 05:15 PM
johnfoss

Sounds like you replaced your Viscount with a Schwinn/Semcycle seat. The
Viscounts were designed to replace those. I find both to be about equal
in the comfort department, depending on quality of the foam. Neither is
a great comfort design for me personally, but seat comfort is a very
personal thing.

1. If you're not wearing cycling shorts, you're torturing yourself for
no reason. Invest in a decent pair and you'll find they make a world of
difference.

2. You can experiment with the shape of the foam to try to improve
comfort. You don't want to lower the part where your sit bones are,
though. That's the weight-bearing area. I did a little experimenting
years ago, and put a pair of ridges where the sit bones go, and cut a
channel in the foam down the center where your soft tissues and nerves
go. That was an improvement over the basic Miyata seat.

3. But today I prefer either a KH/Velo seat off the shelf, or a Miyata
seat with air. The Miyata air has the edge on comfort, but the KH is
easier to set up.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"That sucks." -- Ryan Atkins, at the bottom of a 10' cliff he just
jumped off at the 2003 California MUni Weekend, looking at his bent
seat.

Old June 17th 04, 05:32 PM
Sofa

johnfoss wrote:
*

3. But today I prefer either a KH/Velo seat off the shelf, or a Miyata
seat with air. The Miyata air has the edge on comfort, but the KH is
easier to set up. *

And a velo with air is the ultimate in everything

--
Sofa - you - pee - dee

'A circus clown is just a carny who's too stupid to flip a ride switch
on and off. Now, you take a circus clown, roll him on the barn floor,
kick him in the head a couple hundred times, and what have you got?' -
Hank Hill

'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
*72* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.02

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old June 17th 04, 10:00 PM
daino149

Sofa wrote:
*

And a velo with air is the ultimate in everything *

Except setup time and strength. Unless you use the CF base.

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.06.14
Giraffe
Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
on the right"
Sig count: 2

04.05.23 11214
04.05.25 11284
04.05.26 11329

Old June 18th 04, 12:05 PM
Kokomo Juggler

"johnfoss" wrote in
message cyclist.com...

Sounds like you replaced your Viscount with a Schwinn/Semcycle seat. The
Viscounts were designed to replace those. I find both to be about equal
in the comfort department, depending on quality of the foam. Neither is
a great comfort design for me personally, but seat comfort is a very
personal thing.

Yes, I replaced the seat. I started tearing apart the Viscount, and saw it
was glued together, and figured it would be difficult to put back together
and experiment.

1. If you're not wearing cycling shorts, you're torturing yourself for
no reason. Invest in a decent pair and you'll find they make a world of
difference.

Yes I have cycling shorts with chamous. They are 30 years old, from when I
used to bicycle a lot.

2. You can experiment with the shape of the foam to try to improve
comfort. You don't want to lower the part where your sit bones are,
though. That's the weight-bearing area. I did a little experimenting
years ago, and put a pair of ridges where the sit bones go, and cut a
channel in the foam down the center where your soft tissues and nerves
go. That was an improvement over the basic Miyata seat.

Thanks.
3. But today I prefer either a KH/Velo seat off the shelf, or a Miyata
seat with air. The Miyata air has the edge on comfort, but the KH is
easier to set up.

I got sticker shock when I saw the price of a KH seat. ($90)

Old June 18th 04, 06:15 PM
johnfoss

Kokomo Juggler wrote:
*Yes I have cycling shorts with chamous. They are 30 years old, from
when I used to bicycle a lot.*

I'm not an expert on 30 year old shorts, but they may be past their best
days. I notice today's shorts use all sorts of synthetic materials, but
I haven't noticed any natural chamois in a long time. Try a more recent
pair. If you ride a lot, you'll need multiple pairs anyway.

*I got sticker shock when I saw the price of a KH seat. *

KH seats are $48 from Unicycle.com. Were you referring to a pre-built
air seat ($99 or so)?

Old June 18th 04, 07:14 PM
TheObieOne3226

I got a new Coker this year. It came with a Viscount saddle.

Tim converted his viscount to an amazingly simple and comfortable seat.
It gives a lot of support all over and is really soft. He did the LBI
unithon (19 miles) on it without any trouble.

What he did was take all the foam off his viscount. Then he bought a
12'' innertube. He then sewed a cover that would fit rather loosely over
the seat, drilled the seat for a stem and put the tube inside the cover.

As I said before, the seat is extremely comfortable. My only concern is
durability.

--
TheObieOne3226 - Proficient Unicyclist

My inability to create a proper sigline of my own has led me to steal
this:

Black holes are where god divided by zero.