Saddle questions

Old March 10th 05, 02:53 PM
Pat

: The cautions about saddles being a matter of personal choice are
: correct, as are the cautions about mail order. But, as I said earlier,
: Wallingford has a great return policy that makes it worth considering
: if you are thinking about a Brooks saddle. This is from the Wallingford
: web site's warranty page:
:
: 6 Month UNCONDITIONAL SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - new BROOKS saddles.
: Return your new saddle at any time within six-months of the ship date
: for a full refund of the price of the saddle. Shipping will not be
: refunded unless there is a manufacturing defect issue that would make
: the return a factory warranty issue.
:
: Around here, a six month test would just about take you through an
: entire season of prime-time cycling. --Roy Zipris

What you write is true, BUT--I ordered a Brooks saddle from them and tried
it out and returned it. It was killing me! I thought it was just the wrong
model, so I got another one, the B-17, and still have it. There is an
ongoing battle, though as to who will give up first--me or the saddle. So
far, the saddle's winning. Brooks saddles are NOT for everyone or
Wallingford wouldn't have their "buy it used" listing.

Pat in TX
:

Old March 10th 05, 05:47 PM
Bill H.

Ken Marcet wrote:
Does an one know of a economically priced saddle that will let me

ride more
than a couple of miles without the need for padded cycling pants? Or

is this
just a dream of mine? I was browsing nashbar and they have some in

the $30
to $40 range that look as though they have a bit more padding than a

"stock"
read "cheap" seat.

Ken

FWIW, I usually have a bit of discomfort when I get back in the saddle
after a long stretch without riding. My mountain bike has a fairly
firm seat so I've been tempted in the past to upgrade the saddle. I
usually find, however, that I toughen up a bit after the first week or
so of regular riding.

If it's painful, however, there's no sense in keeping the same saddle.
Of course, they're very personal purchases and comfort means something
different to everyone. And I guess if a new saddle will encourage you
to spend more time on the bike, then it's a worthwhile investment.

-Bill H.

Old March 11th 05, 03:24 AM
Mike Kruger

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 03:04:03 GMT,
,
maxo wrote:

Mike Kruger wrote:

The other used Brooks I've bought have been in the
$30 range. (one at Urban Bikes in Chicago, just to name

one
good place for stuff like this.)

Are they still around? I used to LOVE that place. They only

had a pair of
vintage and frighteningly hard Ideale saddles when I was

there last.
[Shivers]

I've always preferred Ideale to Brooks. The arched top fit's

my
anatomy better than the flat assed British saddles.
--

Urban Bikes is still there. The odd thing is that Urban Bikes
had a couple of Ideale leather saddles in stock when I bought

Old March 11th 05, 12:33 PM
Peter Cole

Pat wrote:
What you write is true, BUT--I ordered a Brooks saddle from them and

tried
it out and returned it. It was killing me! I thought it was just the

wrong
model, so I got another one, the B-17, and still have it. There is an
ongoing battle, though as to who will give up first--me or the

saddle. So
far, the saddle's winning. Brooks saddles are NOT for everyone or
Wallingford wouldn't have their "buy it used" listing.

This pretty much mirrors my experience. I first tried a Brooks
Professional for 3 months and 1,000 miles. It was the most horribly
uncomfortable saddle I've ever used, despite trying every possible
adjustment. I traded that for a B17, which was a bit better, making it
only the second most uncomfortable saddle I've had.

I traded the B17 to my sister, she had a new bike with a Selle Italia
"Trimatic" saddle. She loved the B17, I rode the Trimatic on a 250 mile
brevet without discomfort about a month after I put it on.

Old March 11th 05, 03:41 PM
Maggie

Tom Sherman wrote:
Ken Marcet wrote:

Does an one know of a economically priced saddle that will let me

ride more
than a couple of miles without the need for padded cycling pants?

Or is this
just a dream of mine? I was browsing nashbar and they have some in

the $30
to $40 range that look as though they have a bit more padding than

a "stock"
read "cheap" seat.

I prefer sling-mesh seats with a foam pad. You could inquire at
Lightning Cycle Dynamics since they make such a seat, but I expect

their
seat is more in the $300-400 range.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

THE SEAT COSTS $400?????????????????????????????? The Seat??? I paid
40 dollars for my new seat and when I mentioned I bought a seat someone
promptly corrected me as being a "saddle" not a seat.
I think when spring arrives and I start riding more, I have alot to
learn about this sport of champions.
All Good Things,
Maggie

Old March 11th 05, 04:18 PM
Zoot Katz

11 Mar 2005 07:41:38 -0800,
.com,
"Maggie" wrote:

I prefer sling-mesh seats with a foam pad. You could inquire at
Lightning Cycle Dynamics since they make such a seat, but I expect their
seat is more in the $300-400 range.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

THE SEAT COSTS $400?????????????????????????????? The Seat??? I paid
40 dollars for my new seat and when I mentioned I bought a seat someone
promptly corrected me as being a "saddle" not a seat.
I think when spring arrives and I start riding more, I have alot to
learn about this sport of champions.

Mr earthman rides bent.
Rememember, babies, toilets and recumbents have seats.
Bicycles have saddles.
--
zk
Old March 11th 05, 06:25 PM
Roger Zoul

Roy Zipris wrote:
Someone once described the feeling of a Brooks B-17 as riding while
sitting in a hammock. Got it pretty right, in my experience. You can't
go wrong with Wallingford, which sells them with a 6-month
guarantee/return policy.

But, as you will no doubt hear, saddles are extremely personal things,
and no one "size" fits all. And padding is not necessarily a good
thing on long rides. --Roy Zipris

I enjoy my Brooks a lot. However, I would not ride on it without my padded
shorts.

Old March 11th 05, 08:29 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Roger Zoul wrote:

I enjoy my Brooks a lot. However, I would not ride on it without my
padded shorts.

That's what I thought about mine, until I tried riding it without padded
shorts, and still found it comfortable, at least for shorter distances
( 20km). I think the main benefit of the "padding" is actually moisture
absorption.

Mind you, for the first week or so when I was breaking in the Brooks, I
carried a gel seatcover with me for when it got too uncomfortable. I'm
very low on "natural padding"...

--
Benjamin Lewis

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of
oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate
commerce. -- J. Edgar Hoover
Old March 11th 05, 08:44 PM
Roger Zoul

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
Roger Zoul wrote:

I enjoy my Brooks a lot. However, I would not ride on it without my
padded shorts.

That's what I thought about mine, until I tried riding it without
padded shorts, and still found it comfortable, at least for shorter
distances ( 20km). I think the main benefit of the "padding" is
actually moisture absorption.

Mind you, for the first week or so when I was breaking in the Brooks,
I carried a gel seatcover with me for when it got too uncomfortable.
I'm very low on "natural padding"...

Yeah, my butt hurt a lot at first, but after the first real ride on mine
(like 50 miles) my butt transfered enough heat into the saddle to cause it
to give. Then I saw these two dents on either side of center. That was
curious.

Old March 11th 05, 08:55 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Roger Zoul wrote:

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Mind you, for the first week or so when I was breaking in the Brooks,
I carried a gel seatcover with me for when it got too uncomfortable.
I'm very low on "natural padding"...

Yeah, my butt hurt a lot at first, but after the first real ride on mine
(like 50 miles) my butt transfered enough heat into the saddle to cause
it to give. Then I saw these two dents on either side of center. That
was curious.

You now have an accurate impression of your ischial tuberosities