Bike Computers, revisited.

Old October 8th 03, 03:34 AM
Richard Adams

Default Bike Computers, revisited.

I know it's been raised on here recently, but I've spent the weekend
dashing from LBS to LBS and trying to research bike computers on the web.

I'm planning to get a new one for my new ride and have been taking a
hard look at the offerings. Some impressive, some not so impressive.

I like VDO and the MC 1.0+ looks interesting, but so does the
Ciclomaster 434. Specialized has something interesting with 'Pro' as
the model and comes in a black lunchbox with a tiny manual (ugly looking
thing tho.)

I've found Vetta to make computers which are seriously distracting to
navigate. CatEye are pretty good, but contacts tend to rust if they get
wet (what's the matter with using nickel-plated brass, geez...) VDO
hold up like a champ in the worst of conditions, but lose all data when
changing battery (for $100 I expect at least a few bytes of bubble or
flash memory, please.)

Of all the bells and whistles I think altimeter is the one feature I'd
prefer (over cadence, watts, HRM, etc.) as I'm usually interested in the
grades I ride as much as anything else and more than those other
features mentioned.

Anyone really particularly happy with something which does the basic
functions and altimeter? Wireless?

Thanks in advance.

Old October 8th 03, 04:41 AM
Fred Marx

you might try this one over at rec.bicycle.tech as well.

Old October 8th 03, 01:54 PM
Marathon

Look at the Polar 720i.

many features & expandable to power.

http://www.polarusa.com/Products/Consumer/S720.asp

Old October 8th 03, 10:41 PM
GaryG

ink.net...

"Fred Marx" wrote in message

Anyone really particularly happy with something which does the basic
functions and altimeter? Wireless?

Thanks in advance.

you might try this one over at rec.bicycle.tech as well.

Or, if you don't need all the bells and whistles, and want to save about
$200, you might want to check out the Vetta V100A.

I've had one for about 6 months now, and like it a lot. I especially like
the altimeter features. When I was in Colorado in July, it was pretty cool
to see 14,000 feet on the altimeter after I reached the summit of Mt. Evans.

Here's the Vetta page:
http://www.vetta.com/product_computerv100A.htm

--
~_-*