Mt. Diablo Challenge Training

Old October 4th 03, 10:58 PM
swpaterson

Default Mt. Diablo Challenge Training

being able to start late. Does everyone's time start with the gun,
or do they have a way of timing riders individually as they cross the
start line (a "chip" system or whatever)?

Old October 5th 03, 04:30 AM
DiabloScott

swpaterson wrote:
being able to start late. Does everyone's time start with the gun,
or do they have a way of timing riders individually as they cross the
start line (a "chip" system or whatever)?

Your official time will be "from the gun" as you say and it may well be
several minutes longer than your actual time from the line depending on
how far back you are. There's a limited seeding but there are a lot of
wannabees who pack the front too.

Wantagofast... you somebody famous? You still here? I didn't know there
was ever a race up North Gate and I didn't know Bob Roll ever did Mt.
Diablo. 45 minutes to the Summit from the North Gate kiosk is an
impressive ride.

I love this mountain. The Challenge is a benefit race, not sanctioned
and it costs a $40 donation.

--
Check out my bike blog!

http://diabloscott.blogspot.com

Old October 5th 03, 06:38 AM
NEPTUNIUM

read your ride up diablo but about your slippery decent... my bike did fishtail
on a decent and I am nursing a broken collar bone. if your not racing for money
or glory its not worth the risk. without my helmet I would be dead.
from greg over here in san mateo
Old October 5th 03, 10:58 PM
swpaterson

Thanks Diablo Scott. I learned the facts first hand today, now am back
at my computer recuperating and reading e-mail. You are (were) correct.

I went out too fast, blew up, & suffered the top 1/3 of the mountain
(though I know everyone suffered!) But I beat my best training time by
1.5 minutes, so I'm not unhappy. Also had fun and met some great people!
Imagine that!

Old October 5th 03, 11:49 PM
WooGoogle

DiabloScott wrote in message ...

Wantagofast... you somebody famous? You still here? I didn't know there
was ever a race up North Gate and I didn't know Bob Roll ever did Mt.
Diablo. 45 minutes to the Summit from the North Gate kiosk is an
impressive ride.

I love this mountain. The Challenge is a benefit race, not sanctioned
and it costs a $40 donation.

If you buy or borrow it from a library, Bob Roll's first book details
his training for and winning $1000 by being the first to the top of
Mt. Diablo a long time ago...
Old October 6th 03, 01:35 PM
Sheldon K. Smith

I did this race also..... It was in 1983 and called the Devil's Cup
Hillclimb/Classic (or something like that). 45 minutes sounds right
for Bob Roll as I finished 18th somewhere around 50 minutes.... Hugh
Walton (Raleigh) won the miss-n-out criterium the next day with
Charlie Hollbrook (Eric Heiden's roommate at the time) and another
Raliegh rider whose name escapes me (cyclocross rider). Charlie and
Hugh rode off the front, and the other Raleigh rider bridged.... The
whole thing was televised and pretty cool....

-Sheldon

Old October 6th 03, 09:26 PM
Bob Mercier

swpaterson wrote in message ...
Thanks Diablo Scott. I learned the facts first hand today, now am back
at my computer recuperating and reading e-mail. You are (were) correct.

I went out too fast, blew up, & suffered the top 1/3 of the mountain
(though I know everyone suffered!) But I beat my best training time by
1.5 minutes, so I'm not unhappy. Also had fun and met some great people!
Imagine that!

My first time doing the race as well. I was concerned about
conserving energy so I wore my HRM for the race. I still
went harder than I'd planned. There's fantastic energy
doing the climb with 1000 other people. The weather was perfect.
I did 1:05 this year and will definately be gunning for the
hour next time. More, longer, hills in training, some weights
and losing 7-10lbs should do it.
Old October 6th 03, 09:42 PM
Nick Burns

"Bob Mercier" wrote in message
om...
swpaterson wrote in message

Thanks Diablo Scott. I learned the facts first hand today, now am back
at my computer recuperating and reading e-mail. You are (were) correct.

I went out too fast, blew up, & suffered the top 1/3 of the mountain
(though I know everyone suffered!) But I beat my best training time by
1.5 minutes, so I'm not unhappy. Also had fun and met some great people!
Imagine that!

My first time doing the race as well. I was concerned about
conserving energy so I wore my HRM for the race. I still
went harder than I'd planned. There's fantastic energy
doing the climb with 1000 other people. The weather was perfect.
I did 1:05 this year and will definately be gunning for the
hour next time. More, longer, hills in training, some weights
and losing 7-10lbs should do it.

It is a fun climb. They used to give out t-shirts if you finished in an hour
or less. Do they still do that? The last time I did that climb during the
"event", it was on the first day of what turned in to a heat wave. It was
over 100 degrees by the time I got to the top and since it was late in the
year and cool prior to that, I had no idea why I was so hot until after the
race. I thought I caught a fever. It was a strange experience. It was still
great though.

Old October 7th 03, 01:39 AM
Richard Adams

WooGoogle wrote:
DiabloScott wrote in message ...

Wantagofast... you somebody famous? You still here? I didn't know there
was ever a race up North Gate and I didn't know Bob Roll ever did Mt.
Diablo. 45 minutes to the Summit from the North Gate kiosk is an
impressive ride.

I love this mountain. The Challenge is a benefit race, not sanctioned
and it costs a $40 donation.

If you buy or borrow it from a library, Bob Roll's first book details
his training for and winning $1000 by being the first to the top of
Mt. Diablo a long time ago...

Bobke II will be out soon (according to my VN contact) which will
include all of Bobke and about 30% more stuff.

Old October 7th 03, 02:22 AM
Nick Burns

"WooGoogle" wrote in message
om...
DiabloScott wrote in message

Wantagofast... you somebody famous? You still here? I didn't know there
was ever a race up North Gate and I didn't know Bob Roll ever did Mt.
Diablo. 45 minutes to the Summit from the North Gate kiosk is an
impressive ride.

I love this mountain. The Challenge is a benefit race, not sanctioned
and it costs a $40 donation.

If you buy or borrow it from a library, Bob Roll's first book details
his training for and winning $1000 by being the first to the top of
Mt. Diablo a long time ago...

He finally got published?