A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Racing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

UCI List of all dopers ranked 0-10 "Most likely to succeed"

Old May 19th 11, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau
external usenet poster

Default UCI List of all dopers ranked 0-10 "Most likely to succeed"

On Monday, 16 May 2011 14:42:01 UTC-7, Frederick the Great wrote:
In article

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Surely, a la Wikileaks, the conspiracy theory is that this is a "leak" in the sense that certain riders are being told to knock it off?

I'm not subscribing to that idea, but if the theory is to scare a few riders straight because WADA is only pretty-sure they're doping, isn't that better (especially for the UCI) than actually having them get busted?

Hopefully the real science project is for someone here to track the results for each grading of riders in the year before and after this leak.

Why do you even care if athletes take drugs? If you
are interested in dealing with drug problems you could
volunteer for a drug rehabilitation program. Get some
experience. Or you could get a job with the Canadian
agency that tests athletes for drugs, and become a
water carrier.

I care if cyclists take drugs for the same reason I want some consideration for rider safety in course designs, and for the same reason I care if the NHL eliminates deliberate head-shots from hockey: the level of harm-infliction from these practices is too great, and their importance to the essence of the sport too small, to justify as part of something that is just for entertainment.

I don't mind a bit of voluntary risky behavior in my sportsmen and entertainers, but doping has a nasty combination of risk, perversity*, and not adding to the spectacle. On top of those, there's a game-theory equilibrium which means that if enough people in the peloton dope (I don't think it's anywhere near the majority), it forces a very strong incentive for every rider in the peloton to dope, without regard to legality or safety or cost or even personal preference.

But I don't bear ill will. I made a bumper sticker for you:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...7&id=592280107

*As a paleoconservative**, I can consistently include moral judgments in my preferences.

**means I hate your perverse and novel morality, and I don't eat very many carbohydrates***.

***such a lie. I eat a huge number of carbs. Mostly sugar.
Ads
Old May 19th 11, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
A. Dumas[_2_]
external usenet poster

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
[...]

What's with no References header? New bug in Google Groups?
Old May 19th 11, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
A. Dumas[_2_]
external usenet poster

A. Dumas wrote:
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
[...]

What's with no References header? New bug in Google Groups?

Maybe not. You seem to be the only one.
Old May 20th 11, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great
external usenet poster

In article

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

On Monday, 16 May 2011 14:42:01 UTC-7, Frederick the Great wrote:
In article

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Surely, a la Wikileaks, the conspiracy theory is that this is a "leak" in the sense that certain riders are being told to knock it off?

I'm not subscribing to that idea, but if the theory is to scare a few riders straight because WADA is only pretty-sure they're doping, isn't that better (especially for the UCI) than actually having them get busted?

Hopefully the real science project is for someone here to track the results for each grading of riders in the year before and after this leak.

Why do you even care if athletes take drugs? If you
are interested in dealing with drug problems you could
volunteer for a drug rehabilitation program. Get some
experience. Or you could get a job with the Canadian
agency that tests athletes for drugs, and become a
water carrier.

I care if cyclists take drugs for the same reason I want some consideration for rider safety in course designs, and for the same reason I care if the NHL eliminates deliberate head-shots from hockey: the level of harm-infliction from these practices is too great, and their importance to the essence of the sport too small, to justify as part of something that is just for entertainment.

I disagree with the proposition that
performance enhancing drugs are harmful.

I don't mind a bit of voluntary risky behavior in my sportsmen and entertainers, but doping has a nasty combination of risk, perversity*, and not adding to the spectacle. On top of those, there's a game-theory equilibrium which means that if enough people in the peloton dope (I don't think it's anywhere near the majority), it forces a very strong incentive for every rider in the peloton to dope, without regard to legality or safety or cost or even personal preference.

Nobody is forced to take drugs.
They take them because they feel like it.

But I don't bear ill will. I made a bumper sticker for you:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...7&id=592280107

My real world bumper sticker given to me by a friend reads

As a matter of fact
I _do_ own the road

You decided to volunteer to
help people with drug rehabilitation?

--
Old Fritz