Driving is like Smoking

Old August 28th 11, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Default Driving is like Smoking

The difference is that you are polluting much bigger lungs --Planet Earth-- and that you are millions of idiots that live in denial. Well, denial is a sign of ADDICTION. Even Bush called it such so why bother to prove the point.

Many deny Climate Change, others deny the human factor thus avoiding responsibility. What we need is some clever ads against addictions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz0N-...eature=related

FACT:

"There are over 750 million motor vehicles in the world today.
If present trends continue, the number of cars on Earth will double in the next 30 years."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_c...e_in_the_world

Old August 29th 11, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

But Monkey, you aren't addressing the pertinent issue: if nobody else
is going to stop driving, why should I? I'm not a masochist, after
all! The amount of pollutants emitted by my cars is completely
insignificant in the overall scheme of things, and no politician is
ever going to seriously advocate getting people out of cars because it
is political suicide to do so.
Old August 30th 11, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Monday, August 29, 2011 12:35:44 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
But Monkey, you aren't addressing the pertinent issue: if nobody else
is going to stop driving, why should I? I'm not a masochist, after
all! The amount of pollutants emitted by my cars is completely
insignificant in the overall scheme of things, and no politician is
ever going to seriously advocate getting people out of cars because it
is political suicide to do so.

That's all true... What you want me to say?

It just bothers me when people live in denial. We can say that we are puppets in a puppet show that promises no good ending. We could change the script but imagination is in short supply.

Is the puppeteer infallible?
Old August 30th 11, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

writes:
But Monkey, you aren't addressing the pertinent issue: if nobody else
is going to stop driving, why should I? I'm not a masochist, after
all! The amount of pollutants emitted by my cars is completely
insignificant in the overall scheme of things, and no politician is
ever going to seriously advocate getting people out of cars because it
is political suicide to do so.

That's all true... What you want me to say?

It's _not_ all true though -- people _are_ stopping driving.

Not everybody, everywhere, all the time, suddenly, but the trends of 50
years ago ("cars are the future! full speed ahead ... for cars!") are
not the trends of today. What was previously unquestioned is now being
questioned.

Sure it'll take the conservative tea-baggin' areas of the country a bit
longer, but _everything_ takes them a bit longer.

I let them get away with bad behavior in exchange for the truth.

Change is happening but not as fast as required as Climate Change. So far the mentality of "bigger is better" still prevails in the jungle.

I personally drive more than I have to, often needing a car for a couple of miles to launch a bike. Sometimes though I do my "heroic act" and ride taking the lane, saying "OVER MY DEAD BODY."
Old August 30th 11, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 10:28:02 AM UTC-4, Phil W Lee wrote:
Bill considered Mon, 29 Aug 2011 09:35:44
-0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

But Monkey, you aren't addressing the pertinent issue: if nobody else
is going to stop driving, why should I? I'm not a masochist, after
all! The amount of pollutants emitted by my cars is completely
insignificant in the overall scheme of things, and no politician is
ever going to seriously advocate getting people out of cars because it
is political suicide to do so.

Except many politicians are doing exactly that.
And people are noticing that in the places where they are succeeding,
life gets much better.

Some local politician here and there. As a result some community benefits here and there. Nobody though is addressing the big picture and connecting the dots.

For example, Ft. Lauderdale is the record holder in pedestrian and cyclists killed in the nation but next to it you find Boca with great bike lanes.

What we need is a President of the United States of America to talk about us. "My fellow Americans, the last discriminated people is found riding a bike. Actually you should be riding a bike too!"
Old August 30th 11, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

We must reassure the PUPPETEER he won't go hungry...

On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:29:13 PM UTC-4, Waldo wrote:
In article

,

"His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
wrote:

It just bothers me when people live in denial. We can say that we are puppets
in a puppet show that promises no good ending. We could change the script but
imagination is in short supply.

Is the puppeteer infallible?

Or is this a spontaneous show? Well, I doubt it. Things seem to be beyond our
control, even beyond the control of politicians, and I have narrowed down the
puppeteer to three main characters: CORPORATIONS, LENDERS & ELITES.

For example, Big Oil makes sure that we waste as much gas as possible even if
we ruin the planet in the process. And you need the Lender to buy a car so my
theory seems to be solid. A bicycle on the other hand can cost you 100 bucks
and peanuts to maintain... It's the democratic vehicle.

Elites are just happy to have it all. It's a "happily ever after" thing, only
that the future is dark.

"My struggle is not against the puppet but against the puppeteer"

yes, you have seen beyond the veil. the "man" behind the curtain.
now you know who pulls Obama's "strings".
And why Ron Paul won't get very far. He rocks the boat just a little too
much. maybe even a "loose cannon".
thanks for the post.
--
Karma, What a concept!

http://thisishistorictimes.com/wp-co...l_20101023.jpg

Old August 31st 11, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:09:53 PM UTC-4, Phil W Lee wrote:
"TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher"
considered Tue, 30 Aug 2011 12:31:37 -0700
[...]

2nd picture on this page:
http://www.hybridcars.com/environmen...age-26279.html

He also rides for leisure with his family:
http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/st/e...#axzz1WYJu99rB
which is probably great news for the general health of his security
detail as well, since they have to go along

The greatest contribution the President can make --outside of talking about the need to ride a bike-- is to order all agencies of government to drop Stupid Unnecessary Vehicles from their fleets.

Government officials love SUVs:

Some animals are more equal than others, like the ones in government controlling your lives.

If they want the country to conserve fuel it should start with these government hacks. What ever happened to lead by example, especially since we the taxpayers are paying for their waste.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...ls-heart-suvs/