Mountain Biking Trail Use Reduces Reproductive Success of NestingGolden-Cheeked Warblers

Old March 12th 12, 12:09 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
JeffSpahn

Default Mountain Biking Trail Use Reduces Reproductive Success of NestingGolden-Cheeked Warblers

On Feb 26, 1:57*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
Mountain Biking Trail Use Affects Reproductive Success of
Nesting Golden-Cheeked Warblers
Author(s) :Craig A. Davis, David M. Leslie Jr., W. David Walter, and
Allen E.
Graber
Source: The Wilson Journal of Ornithology, 122(3):465-474. 2010.
Published By: The Wilson Ornithological Society
DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1676/09-184.1
URL:http://www.bioone.org/doi/full/10.1676/09-184.1

The Wilson Journal of Ornithology 122(3):465*474, 2010

MOUNTAIN BIKING TRAIL USE AFFECTS REPRODUCTIVE SUCCESS
OF NESTING GOLDEN-CHEEKED WARBLERS
CRAIG A. DAVIS,1,5DAVID M. LESLIE JR.,2 W.DAVIDWALTER,
3ANDALLENE.GRABER4

ABSTRACT.—We evaluated foraging and nesting behavior, territory size,
and nest success of Golden-cheeked Warblers
(Dendroica chrysoparia), a federally endangered songbird, relative to
mountain biking trail use. We conducted our study at
two mountain biking sites and two control sites at Fort Hood Military
Base and in Austin, Texas, in spring 2002 and 2003.
Territories of male Golden-cheeked Warblers in biking sites (2.2 ha)
were .1.5 times as large as those in non-biking sites
(1.4 ha). Mayfield nest success in biking sites (n 5 33) was 35%
compared to 70% in non-biking sites (n 5 22). Nest
abandonment was three times greater in biking areas (15%) than non-
biking areas (5%). Seven nests were depredated in
biking sites, but only two nests were depredated in non-biking sites.
Texas rat snakes (Elaphe obsoleta) were the most
frequent nest predator at biking sites, accounting for 71% of the
predations. We conducted behavioral observations of male
Golden-cheeked Warblers in biking (n 5 139) and non-biking (n 5 204)
sites. Males spent similar amounts of time in
diurnal behaviors in biking and non-biking sites. We used video-camera
systems to record female nesting behaviors at 17
nests in biking sites and 15 nests in non-biking sites. Nesting
behaviors of females did not differ between biking and nonbiking
sites. The cumulative effect of disturbance from mountain biking trail
use on Golden-cheeked Warbler foraging and
nesting behavior appears to be minimal, but fragmentation and
alteration of habitat by mountain biking trails may reduce
quality of nesting habitat for Golden-cheeked Warblers. Received 23
November 2009. Accepted 27 March 2010.

2 U.S. Geological Survey, Oklahoma Cooperative Fish
and Wildlife Research Unit, Department of Natural
Resource Ecology and Management, Oklahoma State
University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA.
3 Colorado Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit,
201 JVK Wagar Building, 1484 Campus Delivery,
Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA.
4SWCA Environmental Consultants, 130 Rock Point
Drive, Suite A, Durango, CO 81301, USA.
5 Corresponding author;
e-mail:

"Our results suggest mountain biking trail use negatively impacted
Golden-cheeked Warblers during the breeding season."

"Conservation efforts that curtail construction of new mountain biking
trails in Golden-cheeked Warbler habitat and reduce the amount of
forest open edge habitat created by existing mountain biking trails
should promote recovery objectives."

The Golden-Cheeked Warblers don't have much meat on them. Taste a
bit like spotted owl.
Old March 12th 12, 03:17 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Mar 11, 5:09*pm, JeffSpahn wrote:
[...]

Why can't mountain bikers EVER tell the truth???
Old March 15th 12, 01:07 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Len McGoogle

On Mar 11, 11:17*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]

Taste is subjective, Mike. It's not a lie.
Old March 15th 12, 03:51 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Mar 14, 6:07*pm, Len McGoogle wrote:
[...]

It IS a lie, since he obviously never ate one. You you just lied
AGAIN. Why can't mountain bikers EVER tell the truth???
Old March 15th 12, 06:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Len McGoogle

On Mar 14, 11:51*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]

How do you know he never ate one? You cannot prove he hasn't. DUH!

Why can't convicted criminals like Michael Vandeman EVER tell the
truth????
Old March 20th 12, 07:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Mar 15, 11:14*am, Len McGoogle wrote:
[...]

I also can't prove that you are an idiot, even though it is OBVIOUS to
everyone reading your idiot blather. You know as well as I do, that he
never ate one. He doesn't even CLAIM to have done so. QED DUH!
Old March 20th 12, 10:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Len McGoogle

On Mar 20, 3:14*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]

I can prove you have a criminal record, nuff said!!!