why MTB'ing should not be an environmental target

Old December 7th 03, 05:00 PM
Mike Vandeman

Default why MTB'ing should not be an environmental target

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 11:25:54 +0100, bomba wrote:

..N Grover wrote:
..
..If only someone could take away his
.. addiction for attacking MTB'ing with little background research or indepth
.. assesment. Ya know, I took an environmental science course at University
..
..So did I, but it counts for nothing when you're 'debating' with Mike.

Especially since you didn't understand a bit of it.

..http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm#1.3.1

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old December 7th 03, 05:04 PM
Penny S

N Grover murmured while asleep:
Slacker, you might want to expand on the obvious if you have a point
to make.

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 16:19:02 -0800, Slacker wrote:

"N Grover" wrote in message
news

Sorry for partaking in your sharade....at this point it feels good.

So does maturbating, but it's not something you do in public!
--
Slacker

He did have a point... have you read the amb faq yet?

http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/ambfaq.htm

Old December 7th 03, 06:37 PM
JD

"N Grover" wrote in message
news

Sorry for partaking in your sharade....at this point it feels good.

So does maturbating, but it's not something you do in public!
--
Slacker

Do a Google search in Usenet on the vandyman. Slacker's point has
more than one meaning.

JD
Old December 7th 03, 06:54 PM
N Grover

He did have a point... have you read the amb faq yet?

well thanks Penny, that was a little more helpful. So I won't masturbate
and Mike is a known wing-nut and should be ignored because his usual
response will be something to the tune of "B.S" (highly appropriate for mr
PHD)......got it.

scarry thing is, he was almost my proffessor! i was offered a rowing
scholarship at Berkeley where he taught computer science. I turned it down
because I got married and finished my comp-sci degree here in Canada. At
the time i had just finished being on the canadian mtb team for seven
year.........there would have been some serious friction in his class and
based on his weak rationale i'm sure he would have failed me simply for
having another opinion.
Old December 7th 03, 07:08 PM
Stephen Baker

MV blurts out:

. assesment. Ya know, I took an environmental science course at University
.
.So did I, but it counts for nothing when you're 'debating' with Mike.

Especially since you didn't understand a bit of it.

And you did, Mikey? LOL
Yeah, riiiiiight!

Old December 7th 03, 07:43 PM
N Grover

ah ha, and here I thought mike was an environmental scientist. well mike
if you have recently taken a course in environmental science you would
know that the current train of thought is not to abolish anything that has
an evnvironmental impact. as a westerner you undoubtedly do you part in
destroying the environment. you being a programmer means that you support
a much graver concern than mountain biking and that is "digital waste".
consider the following statement next time you buy anything digital or
promote computers in anyway:

"Electronic equipment is one of the largest known sources of heavy metals,
toxic materials, and organic pollutants in municipal trash waste," said
Leslie Byster, a spokeswoman for Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition, a
nonprofit group in California that studies computer industry waste. "The
only household item I can think of that is worse," he said, "would be
pesticides."

does that mean computers should be abolished....no because you and i would
be out of a job. instead we must do our best to use recycled computer
components and support products that are more easily broken down. IE buy
producst from Hewlet Packard. If you don't "understand" that then I will
apply your own logic and call you a hypocrite for using a computer to
partake in this news group. by doing so you are polluting the environment
of many third world countries where your waste ends up. My enviro prof
would be embarassed by people like you (Dr. Rhonda Mc.Dougal - University
of Manitoba) who are full of half truthes.

Old December 7th 03, 07:53 PM
Penny S

N Grover murmured while asleep:
ah ha, and here I thought mike was an environmental scientist.

Would you quite already? Persistent posting of replies to HWMNBN is a sure
fire way to enter your self in many folks' killfiles.

Why not post a ride report instead... tell a bit about the trails in your
area or something like that?

Penny

--
me and my bike:
www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm

Old December 7th 03, 09:53 PM
bomba

Penny S wrote:

http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/ambfaq.htm

Time to update your links Penny. That incarnation of the FAQ is so old
it's been on two different servers since then. The current version is
he http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

Old December 7th 03, 10:11 PM
bomba

Mike Vandeman wrote:

.If only someone could take away his
. addiction for attacking MTB'ing with little background research or indepth
. assesment. Ya know, I took an environmental science course at University
.
.So did I, but it counts for nothing when you're 'debating' with Mike.

Especially since you didn't understand a bit of it.

I would have got a first, but failed the section on the impacts of
mountain biking. Apparently, I failed to mention the persistent lying
of cyclists. Natch.