Sudden flats

Old December 18th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Artoi

Default Sudden flats

This has happened twice on my already, kind of weird. For no obvious
cause, my rear tyre would flat totally. The first one was two weeks ago
just after leaving the front door (tyre checked). Within 10m, it
suddenly went flat and totally flat. Then this morning, after resting
against the wall overnight, it's again totally flat. No puncture found
again. In b/n time, the same wheel/tyre/tube has been on quite a number
of long rides without problem.

Anyone seen similar? I am totally perplexed as to what the cause may be.
Old December 18th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Cassel

--

So you can pump it up and it'll hold air with no repairs whatsoever?
That is strange. I'd suspect the tube's valve although the exact

-paul
Old December 18th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
peter

Paul Cassel wrote:
Artoi wrote:
This has happened twice on my already, kind of weird. For no obvious
cause, my rear tyre would flat totally. The first one was two weeks ago
just after leaving the front door (tyre checked). Within 10m, it
suddenly went flat and totally flat. Then this morning, after resting
against the wall overnight, it's again totally flat. No puncture found
again. In b/n time, the same wheel/tyre/tube has been on quite a number
of long rides without problem.

Anyone seen similar? I am totally perplexed as to what the cause may be.
--

So you can pump it up and it'll hold air with no repairs whatsoever?
That is strange. I'd suspect the tube's valve although the exact
mechanism for your observed behavior escapes me.

I agree. I've come across a few valves that seemed to be overly
sensitive to getting a bit of dust under the valve seal. Usually
they'd hold air ok, but sometimes they wouldn't seal properly and would
let the tube go flat.

Old December 18th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Artoi:
Anyone seen similar? I am totally perplexed as to what the cause may be.

Yes.

Replace it with another tube.

Fill up the suspect tube so it's a little larger than it would be inside the
tire, hang it up somewhere, and see what happens over the next days/weeks.

If the new tube goes flat... that tells you something too...
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 18th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Artoi

In article ,
Paul Cassel wrote:

Artoi wrote:
This has happened twice on my already, kind of weird. For no obvious
cause, my rear tyre would flat totally. The first one was two weeks ago
just after leaving the front door (tyre checked). Within 10m, it
suddenly went flat and totally flat. Then this morning, after resting
against the wall overnight, it's again totally flat. No puncture found
again. In b/n time, the same wheel/tyre/tube has been on quite a number
of long rides without problem.

Anyone seen similar? I am totally perplexed as to what the cause may be.
--

So you can pump it up and it'll hold air with no repairs whatsoever?
That is strange. I'd suspect the tube's valve although the exact
mechanism for your observed behavior escapes me.

Exactly, very strange.

The first time it happened, I inspected, pumped it up, rode 70-80km over
a number of days and nothing happens before a routine pump up of tyre.
Last night the tyre was tight before I went to bed and this morning it
was totally flat.

Yes, I thought about the valve too as I just couldn't think of any other
place that can release the pressure at that rapid of a rate and that
completely. But the valve looked and functioned ok when I inspected and
worked it.
Old December 18th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Artoi

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per Artoi:
Anyone seen similar? I am totally perplexed as to what the cause may be.

Replace it with another tube.

Fill up the suspect tube so it's a little larger than it would be inside the
tire, hang it up somewhere, and see what happens over the next days/weeks.

If the new tube goes flat... that tells you something too...

I haven't gone that far yet as I've been a little lazy. I've pumped it
up again this morning and it seemed to be back to normal again. Just
trying to see if anyone has seen similar. If it happens again, I think
I'll just toss the tube.
Old December 18th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

peter wrote:
Paul Cassel wrote:
So you can pump it up and it'll hold air with no repairs whatsoever?
That is strange. I'd suspect the tube's valve although the exact
mechanism for your observed behavior escapes me.

I agree. I've come across a few valves that seemed to be overly
sensitive to getting a bit of dust under the valve seal. Usually
they'd hold air ok, but sometimes they wouldn't seal properly and would
let the tube go flat.

If you have a valve core tool, you could swap it for another valve
core, from a prior flat or with the other wheel or a old / new spare
tube.

Old December 18th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Artoi wrote:
This has happened twice on my already, kind of weird. For no obvious
cause, my rear tyre would flat totally. The first one was two weeks
ago just after leaving the front door (tyre checked). Within 10m, it
suddenly went flat and totally flat. Then this morning, after resting
against the wall overnight, it's again totally flat. No puncture found
again. In b/n time, the same wheel/tyre/tube has been on quite a
number of long rides without problem.

Anyone seen similar? I am totally perplexed as to what the cause may
be.

I got a flat the other day. Had a brand-new Vittoria spare with a faulty
valve stem/tube interface -- AND my patch kit had melted. After struggling
with it all for a good half hour, a good samaritan rode by and gave me a
tube.

The kicker? I was right in front of my ex-wife's new condo. (Good thing I
don't know what unit!)

The point is that I've had tubes in the past that will hold air fine when
fully inflated, but when unweight-loaded and after losing a little air, it
all leaks out around the valve stem. (Small break in glue I guess --
pressed tight by pressure but opens when reduced?)

Bill "it's always something" S.

Old December 18th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Artoi

In article ,
"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Artoi wrote:
[...]

We have a common thread here. The tube on mine is also a Vittoria.
Old December 18th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Artoi wrote:
In article ,
"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Artoi wrote:
[...]

indeed. i had a spate of these with vittoria a while back too. they
burst at the fold where the tubes are put on a rack after molding. i've
always used michelin since and i've never had that kind of flat again.