I broke my T7

Old January 31st 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rowan

Default I broke my T7

maestro8 wrote:
Look at it this way: This break is a testament to a good welding job.

When done properly, the weld joint becomes stronger than the
surrounding metal.

So, what's bad about "extra welds", then?

I don't see it the same way you see it. It broke where it was weakened
by the weld. So how does that make it a good weld again? Sure the weld
stuck but the surrounding metal was not strong enough for the job given
to it by the weld. I think there is potential for improvement and I
think the T7 is still in the testing stages rather than the finished
design. The fact it has broken several times in the same place for
different people seems to indicate to me a big flaw.

--
Rowan
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 31st 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
flyer

I wouldn't necessarily call it a 'big flaw' - more like a thing to fix
in the next production run if there's a way to. I put over 1000km on my
handle (leaning, dropping, flexing it to fit the bugger into car
trunks..) before it snapped. While I'm obviously bummed my sweet handle
is broken, I think it did pretty well, and I'll be picking up another
one soon...

--
flyer
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 31st 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

flyer wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily call it a 'big flaw' - more like a thing to fix
in the next production run if there's a way to. I put over 1000km on my
handle (leaning, dropping, flexing it to fit the bugger into car
trunks..) before it snapped. While I'm obviously bummed my sweet handle
is broken, I think it did pretty well, and I'll be picking up another
one soon...

How often do you think metal should break? If my bike handlebars broke
every 1000km, I'd be ****ed off (not to mention seriously injured).

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 31st 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

When I first read the title I thought you had broken your 'T7 vertebrae'
(http://tinyurl.com/2xheph).

Looks like that area could be strengthened with a larger and thicker
metal piece along with possibly a gusset. Hopefully the next
production run will fix that. It wouldn't be practical for most people
to fix (add a gusset) on their own unless they can find a friend to do
the welding or can do the welding themselves. Getting a commercial
welder or machinist to do the work would be a little too expensive.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 31st 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

john_childs wrote:
Getting a commercial welder or machinist to do the work would be a
little too expensive.

I've been able to sneak into a local welding shop near closing time and
bribe a welder to run a quick bead for pocket change.

Of course, I prepped the metal before I showed up so all that had to be
done was the welding.

You might try it! That fix shouldn't take more than a couple
minutes...

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 31st 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nathan

maestro8 wrote:
I've been able to sneak into a local welding shop near closing time and
bribe a welder to run a quick bead for pocket change.

Of course, I prepped the metal before I showed up so all that had to be
done was the welding.

You might try it! That fix shouldn't take more than a couple
minutes...

That's what you want to do. Slip the guy 20 bucks and you're good. We
did that on the Norway tour in a tiny little town then Scot's handle
broke.

Good luck with it Rowan.

---Nathan

--
nathan
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 1st 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Morgan

Thanks for the post! Mine's been squeaking for a few months. I went
out & checked it and found a crack starting. Time for reinforcement!

--
Morgan
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 12th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Mine just cracked on my way home today. I dismounted at a light and I
heard a relatively loud crack/ping come from my unicycle. When I looked
to figure out where the sound came from I noticed a crack that formed
about two thirds of the way across the plate.

That crack was not there this morning.

I think I am going to get a gusset welded between the boom and the
plate and send UDC an e-mail with some suggestions for how they could
increase the strength of this part.

My handle had only 700km on it.

--
saskatchewanian

phlegm wrote:
The best way to overcome a mental block is to do a mental rolling hop
over it.

http://www.usenet.com
Old July 22nd 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rowan

The replacement T7 Handle I got has lasted a while since I've been
trying to take it easy on it. The other day my drink bottle cage fell
off with the screws and everything. I've heard of that happening to
other people I just thought it was funny that it did it on my
replacement one rather than the broken one. Easy to fix perhaps, but a
nuisance. Water is so good!

--
Rowan
Old January 7th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rowan

Eventually my replacement handle broke. I got them both repaired at
about the same cost as getting another new handle, although that
included brazing the waterbottle holder bolts back onto one of them. I
think that future versions should have some kind of reinforcement in
that area because even when you are gentle on the handle while riding,
when you crash it puts a lot of force on the steel plate. It will be
interesting to see how long the repair lasts- I've had it for a while
but haven't ridden very far yet.

|Filename: T7 handle fix.jpg |

Rowan

I broke my T7 Rowan Unicycling 7 February 13th 08 03:42 PM
I broke my T7 ridingwithscissors Unicycling 1 January 28th 08 08:24 AM
Broke 100 on RSU underdog Unicycling 2 April 27th 06 07:07 AM
oh no! not again! (broke something) wobbling bear Unicycling 5 March 10th 06 04:12 PM
Broke uni swarbrim Unicycling 8 December 17th 05 04:08 AM