Road bike fit

Old December 21st 11, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Road bike fit

On Dec 19, 1:43*pm, thirty-six wrote:
On Dec 19, 4:33*pm, Ron Ruff wrote:

On Dec 18, 11:49*am, damyth wrote:

Fitting is one thing. *Getting a great ride is another. *I've pretty
much come to the conclusion with 700c wheels (front and back) too many
compromises must be made for small frames/riders

That is because manufacturers want to avoid toe overlap.

I like to avoid toe overlap. *I had my custom steel frame designed,
*I wear sandles or British military assault boots.

Toe overlap is a bummer, but I think it's one of those things that's
hard to get around on a conventional bicycle. Extending the frame or
fork to place the front wheel further away *dramatically* affects
handling. I just take the occasional bump or snagging fender stay as
a reminder lesson to not do that (there's almost never any reason for
it).

Old December 21st 11, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 12/21/2011 12:35 PM, Dan O wrote:
On Dec 19, 1:43 pm, wrote:
On Dec 19, 4:33 pm, Ron wrote:

On Dec 18, 11:49 am, wrote:

Fitting is one thing. Getting a great ride is another. I've pretty
much come to the conclusion with 700c wheels (front and back) too many
compromises must be made for small frames/riders

That is because manufacturers want to avoid toe overlap.

I like to avoid toe overlap. I had my custom steel frame designed,
I wear sandles or British military assault boots.

Toe overlap is a bummer, but I think it's one of those things that's
hard to get around on a conventional bicycle. Extending the frame or
fork to place the front wheel further away *dramatically* affects
handling. I just take the occasional bump or snagging fender stay as
a reminder lesson to not do that (there's almost never any reason for
it).

I agree. Only time I really notice it is when I'm in bumper to bumper
traffic and try to turn. Fortunately, haven't had more than a fright
and quick un-clip. Probably shouldn't have tried that anyway. Otherwise
bike handles extremely well.

Have I mentioned lately that I hate traffic?

Old December 21st 11, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 22/12/11 04:35, Dan O wrote:
On Dec 19, 1:43 pm, wrote:
On Dec 19, 4:33 pm, Ron wrote:

On Dec 18, 11:49 am, wrote:

Fitting is one thing. Getting a great ride is another. I've pretty
much come to the conclusion with 700c wheels (front and back) too many
compromises must be made for small frames/riders

That is because manufacturers want to avoid toe overlap.

I like to avoid toe overlap. I had my custom steel frame designed,
I wear sandles or British military assault boots.

Toe overlap is a bummer, but I think it's one of those things that's
hard to get around on a conventional bicycle. Extending the frame or
fork to place the front wheel further away *dramatically* affects
handling. I just take the occasional bump or snagging fender stay as
a reminder lesson to not do that (there's almost never any reason for
it).

How dramatic is the effect of moving the front of the bike 5mm forward
to avoid toe overlap?

How dramatic is the effect of moving the rear wheel 5mm backward to
allow for 28mm tyres?

If the effect is dramatic, I must be a little insensitive too it. I had
both these changes made to my frame design. All I'll say is that the
bike feels more stable, especially hacking through corners. (Same
wheels, tyres, pressures, forks and bars. 10mm shorter head stem.) The
frame is also stiffer and lighter, due to the oversize thin walled steel
tubes.

--
JS.
Old December 21st 11, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 22/12/11 04:59, Duane Hebert wrote:

Have I mentioned lately that I hate traffic?

No. You should add that cars suck.

--
JS.
Old December 21st 11, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 12/21/2011 4:06 PM, James wrote:
On 22/12/11 04:59, Duane Hebert wrote:

Have I mentioned lately that I hate traffic?

No. You should add that cars suck.

Cars suck.

Old December 21st 11, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Duane Hebert wrote:
On 12/21/2011 4:06 PM, James wrote:
On 22/12/11 04:59, Duane Hebert wrote:

Have I mentioned lately that I hate traffic?

No. You should add that cars suck.

Cars suck.

Oh my, oh my! WHEN will our fantasy world arrive, where we can go
everywhere we want and never see a motor vehicle? I'm _SO_ tired of
waiting!!!

(I assume Duane's 100% car-free. Right?)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 21st 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Dan O wrote:

Toe overlap is a bummer, but I think it's one of those things that's
hard to get around on a conventional bicycle. Extending the frame or
fork to place the front wheel further away *dramatically* affects
handling. I just take the occasional bump or snagging fender stay as
a reminder lesson to not do that (there's almost never any reason for
it).

I've never found toe overlap to be a problem. I've got it on most of my
bikes, but compensation has never been difficult.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 21st 11, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 22/12/11 09:39, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Duane Hebert wrote:
On 12/21/2011 4:06 PM, James wrote:
On 22/12/11 04:59, Duane Hebert wrote:

Have I mentioned lately that I hate traffic?

No. You should add that cars suck.

Cars suck.

Oh my, oh my! WHEN will our fantasy world arrive, where we can go
everywhere we want and never see a motor vehicle? I'm _SO_ tired of
waiting!!!

(I assume Duane's 100% car-free. Right?)

Like a snappy bass to a cricket in the drink...

--
JS
Old December 22nd 11, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Dec 21, 10:41*pm, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
Dan O wrote:

Toe overlap is a bummer, but I think it's one of those things that's
hard to get around on a conventional bicycle. *Extending the frame or
fork to place the front wheel further away *dramatically* affects
handling. *I just take the occasional bump or snagging fender stay as
a reminder lesson to not do that (there's almost never any reason for
it).

I've never found toe overlap to be a problem. *I've got it on most of my
bikes, but compensation has never been difficult.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Why not just use an appropriate crank length, it's not as if there is
any advantage in using long cranks and there are plaenty of
disadvantages?
Old December 22nd 11, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 22/12/11 14:51, thirty-six wrote:
On Dec 21, 10:41 pm, Frank
wrote:
Dan O wrote:

Toe overlap is a bummer, but I think it's one of those things that's
hard to get around on a conventional bicycle. Extending the frame or
fork to place the front wheel further away *dramatically* affects
handling. I just take the occasional bump or snagging fender stay as
a reminder lesson to not do that (there's almost never any reason for
it).

I've never found toe overlap to be a problem. I've got it on most of my
bikes, but compensation has never been difficult.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Why not just use an appropriate crank length, it's not as if there is
any advantage in using long cranks and there are plaenty of
disadvantages?

Please identify all the pros and cons.

--
JS