Portland

Old February 15th 12, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Portland

Working in Midtown this week. Markings are everywhere, saying, "Bikes
belong." Even though it's cold and wet, and bikes are everywhere -
lots of them (nice bikes, too, real ones - not just a bunch of BSO's
and the occasional expensive, pretentious toy). The culture knows
bikes are they and bikes belong.

The other cool thing is the riders - ~half-and-half male and female.

It's happening here!
Old February 15th 12, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

ahhhh spring on Portland....
next time thru Ima gonna look for gills....

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-122.675&e=1

glad hearing you're recovering from flooding

is NOAA's Portland weather re-port like sroria re-port ? sez itsa
gonna rain but rains for an hour then stops, blue sky scudding
clouds...very nice with a bad reading weather re-port.
Old February 15th 12, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 2/15/2012 1:27 AM, Dan O wrote:
Working in Midtown this week. Markings are everywhere, saying, "Bikes
belong." Even though it's cold and wet, and bikes are everywhere -
lots of them (nice bikes, too, real ones - not just a bunch of BSO's
and the occasional expensive, pretentious toy). The culture knows
bikes are they and bikes belong.

The other cool thing is the riders - ~half-and-half male and female.

It's happening here!

Did a tour of the Champlain Islands last fall. The whole area changed
all of the Freeway and Parkway signs to Bikeway signs. Pretty cool.
Motorists were not at all surprised to see us. Hardly any bike paths but
sharing the road was not an issue. Nearly every restaurant/convenience
store etc had bike racks. There were riders everywhere. Nice area.

http://www.champlainbikeways.org/doc...ys%20FINAL.pdf

Old February 15th 12, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Dan O wrote:
Working in Midtown this week. Markings are everywhere, saying, "Bikes
belong." Even though it's cold and wet, and bikes are everywhere -
lots of them (nice bikes, too, real ones - not just a bunch of BSO's
and the occasional expensive, pretentious toy). The culture knows
bikes are they and bikes belong.

The other cool thing is the riders - ~half-and-half male and female.

It's happening here!

Really? There are very few of those in a typical population.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old February 15th 12, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Feb 15, 10:17*am, AMuzi wrote:
Dan O wrote:
Working in Midtown this week. *Markings are everywhere, saying, "Bikes
belong." *Even though it's cold and wet, and bikes are everywhere -
lots of them (nice bikes, too, real ones - not just a bunch of BSO's
and the occasional expensive, pretentious toy). *The culture knows
bikes are they and bikes belong.

The other cool thing is the riders - ~half-and-half male and female.

It's happening here!

Really? There are very few of those in a typical population.

And they have a really hard time finding just the right saddle.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 15th 12, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Feb 14, 10:27*pm, Dan O wrote:
Working in Midtown this week. *Markings are everywhere, saying, "Bikes
belong." *Even though it's cold and wet, and bikes are everywhere -
lots of them (nice bikes, too, real ones - not just a bunch of BSO's
and the occasional expensive, pretentious toy). *The culture knows
bikes are they and bikes belong.

The other cool thing is the riders - ~half-and-half male and female.

It's happening here!

Now ride south on SW 5th street -- in the bike lane that jumps you up
on to the sidewalk at a streetcar stop (i.e. in to a crowd of people),
then dumps you back on to the street and over (usually wet) streetcar
tracks running at a shallow angle . . . and then just ends at a
highway on ramp, unless you jump across on-coming traffic and continue
south in the bus only lane. And lets not forget the traffic constantly
turning left in front of you to get on to the endless succession of
cross-streets.

You pop off the curb right after the streetcar shelter. Many
opportunities to get hit by a mass transit device.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47911905@N00/5922629344/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/milantram/3484352627/

Hey, it's the trifecta! Keep in mind that you have to be far right to
go straight. How's you're sprint?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59059712@N08/5490147784/

Before all the mass transit hoo-ha, I used to ride up this street
undisturbed. Now its like doing trials riding. But I still like my
lowly bike lane on the way in to work on SW Barbur, although it tends
to be filled with those half-men, half-women riders, mostly going too
slowly and blocking my way.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 16th 12, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Feb 15, 2:00 pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Feb 14, 10:27 pm, Dan O wrote:

Working in Midtown this week. Markings are everywhere, saying, "Bikes
belong." Even though it's cold and wet, and bikes are everywhere -
lots of them (nice bikes, too, real ones - not just a bunch of BSO's
and the occasional expensive, pretentious toy). The culture knows
bikes are they and bikes belong.

The other cool thing is the riders - ~half-and-half male and female.

It's happening here!

Now ride south on SW 5th street -- in the bike lane that jumps you up
on to the sidewalk at a streetcar stop (i.e. in to a crowd of people),
then dumps you back on to the street and over (usually wet) streetcar
tracks running at a shallow angle . . . and then just ends at a
highway on ramp, unless you jump across on-coming traffic and continue
south in the bus only lane.

Whjee! I find myself regularly itching for that kind of hijinks even
if I have to contrive them myself.

The riders I saw this week in Midtown all seemed very purposeful -
happy, fun, enjoying themselves - but cosmopolitan - and purposeful -
almost kinda VC.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4791190...am/3484352627/

Hey, it's the trifecta! Keep in mind that you have to be far right to
go straight. How's you're sprint?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59059712@N08/5490147784/

Before all the mass transit hoo-ha, I used to ride up this street
undisturbed. Now its like doing trials riding. But I still like my
lowly bike lane on the way in to work on SW Barbur, although it tends
to be filled with those half-men, half-women riders, mostly going too
slowly and blocking my way.

I totally defer to your authoritative opinion - (just as to monkey and
his trike) - you have the experience.

There's a popular expression that you'll never hear me say: "It's all
good." You'll never hear me say it because all is most certainly not
good. However, IMO, the Portland bike scene is good.
Old February 16th 12, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

And they have a really hard time finding just the right saddle.

-- Jay Beattie.

and they continuously whine about it

On San Juan Island its Stewart.....'ohahhh you're from Oregon ?'......

Old February 16th 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

they need gas money to get back.....
Old February 16th 12, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

add foulup

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4791190...tp://www.flick...

Hey, it's the trifecta! *Keep in mind that you have to be far right to
go straight. *How's you're sprint?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59059712@N08/5490147784/

Before all the mass transit hoo-ha, I used to ride up this street
undisturbed. *Now its like doing trials riding. *But I still like my
lowly bike lane on the way in to work on SW Barbur, although it tends
to be filled with those half-men, half-women riders, mostly going too
slowly and blocking my way.

I totally defer to your authoritative opinion - (just as to monkey and
his trike) - you have the experience.

There's a popular expression that you'll never hear me say: *"It's all
good." *You'll never hear me say it because all is most certainly not
good. *However, IMO, the Portland bike scene is good.- Hide quoted text -

dropped into, using several types of GPS devices, Universal Cycles,
parked and immdeiately mobbed by a frienzied crowd wanting me to buy
them lunch.
At Universal, when the obligatory retarded redneck began hysterically
screaming abt my subversive nature, he was taken away and beaten.
Completely different scene than The Dalles.....