Cyclists waste petrol

Old September 25th 18, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

Default Cyclists waste petrol

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 03:14:48 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 09/24/2018 01:54 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 14:54:40 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/23/2018 09:23 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
Debit cards work fine for that here. No credit rating
needed to get one. No credit rating to get a credit
card here either, just a statement of your income etc.
They do check if you have defaults, but there is no
problem if you don't have any defaults.

They would work here too I guess. My ATM card is technically a debit
card. I used to use it for gas purchases. It worked fine until I got
out
of the bank's territory. It took me a while to figure out why the pump
wasn't authorizing. After that I switched to another card that I use
almost exclusively when traveling.

Decades ago we had a problem with Access (now Mastercard) and Visa
credit cards, some worked in some places, some in others. Now
everything works everywhere. Cash cards were the same, two concurrent
incompatible systems, but now work together.

I simply have one card. It's a cash card and a debit card in one. I
can use it to withdraw cash at any ATM anywhere in the world, make an
online payment anywhere in the world, and buy from a shop or gas
station
anywhere in the world. It's got a Visa logo on it.

And pay a fee at any ATM in the world...

Some of ours rebate that fee, with an ATM anywhere in the world.

Ditto. Anyway it's only for emergency use.

Not for me.

Besides, you pay a fee when you exchange currency anyway.

Not with some of my accounts.

Old September 25th 18, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 03:13:53 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

rbowman wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The ATMs here allow you to stuff a great wad
of notes into the machine and it will count them
and put them in your bank account. Much more
convenient than going into the physical bank now.

Ours don't count afaik. You put the cash in a deposit
envelope and slide it in and it's processed later.

Ours have always done that. This other automatic scanning
and counting is a new feature that not all of the ATMs have.
It also rejects notes it doesn't like and it rejected one with
very small folded corner. Apparently it will accept those if
you unfold the corner and try again, but I only found out
about that after I put that one back in my wallet.

Strangely I can do that in a supermarket, but not the cash machine. Ours
just take an envelope full and a cashier counts it later.

Ours have always done that last, but more recently
most now accept wads of cash and count it and
give you back the notes it doesn't like on the spot.

I never use the machine anyway as 50% of the time it's broken,

Ours are hardly ever broken.

so I just walk into the branch and drop a pre-filled envelope in a deposit
box.

We always had a drawer on the outside wall of the
bank that you could do that with even when the
bank was closed. Dunno if they still have those, havent
looked closely for more than half a century at those.

Our notes are all plastic now, we gave up on paper ones years ago now.

We just changed recently. Annoyingly they also changed one of the coins,
so they're slightly bigger and no longer fit in any machines until they're
all changed over at the shop's expense. Clueless Royal Mint, they do that
every 5 years.

Yeah, that is pretty stupid, but I havent used a coin machine
in more than half a century now. Plenty of ours allow you to
use your phone now. Corse some are too stupid to have a
decent modern smartphone so they have to dinosaur along.

I haven't done that since my employer
finally figured out direct deposit.

Ours all did that before ATMs showed up.

Just because we develop software for a living doesn't
mean the elves upstairs are computer literate.

Yeah, it did take a while before everyone allowed you to pay
for stuff like the newspaper delivery service electronically.

And the dinosaur operation that I get the swamp cooler
pads from wouldn't even accept any cards at all the last
time I got new pads. Cash or check was all they would
accept. I used to keep a single blank check in the wallet
for that situation and it was pretty battered by the time
I needed to use it to pay for those. He was a bid dubious
about it, but it worked fine. I no longer have any accounts
with check books although I could get a book if I wanted.

Cash is needed for things like:
School outings

Havent been on one of those for well over half a century
now and we didn't have to pay for those then anyway.

Not sure what school tuckshops accept now. That kid
that I used to be the personal banker for did use coins
for that even tho he always had his iphone with him,
but I never could get him to use apple pay even when
I did manage to find one bank that allowed him to
have an account with them because of his age and
which also did apple pay.

Paying a painter or builder
Getting on a bus

Not here, you can't use coins, you need to use a card.

I still use cash at the garage/yard sales because altho
I can pay to any mobile number it isnt worth convincing
those who I am paying that that is possible with a queue
of people trying to pay for what they want to buy and it
isnt as convenient for the seller anyway to get the money.

Old September 25th 18, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 02:38:14 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/24/2018 02:00 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
I assume you mean when paying by cash. I've never seen a cash pump in
the UK. I use a debit card, I put it in first, then it charges me for
however much gas I take.

This was the first one I've seen that takes cash and it was at a station
that just opened this summer.

In France I came across something very annoying, especially as I couldn't
read the notice telling me what to do. You paid to the cashier woman, but
you had to go give her your card first, to prevent petrol theft.

It doesn't prevent petrol theft because you can
just give her a maxed out or cancelled card.

On another occasion (in France) I wasn't watching the pump, but heard it
come on as I pressed the lever. When it stopped I went to pay, and they
refused to take my money. I left wondering why

they were giving me free petrol, then realised my tank was still
empty. The noise must have been for the other side.

Old September 25th 18, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 02:35:19 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/24/2018 01:57 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 11:51:52 +0100, devnull wrote:

On 09/23/2018 05:52 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
50% of most people's outgoings are their mortgage. Land is too damn
expensive, because we're vastly overpopulated. We're not actually
buying anything real, just the right to use a bit of land.

.

Property taxes are collected from working taxpayer citizens so the
democrats can give it to their lazy constituents.

Most of my taxes pay for things I don't use, like schools, libraries,
hospitals, etc. All those things should be pay per use.

We have mill levy initiatives on the ballot. I vote no on the schools
and yes for the library and Parks and Recreation. I must not be the only
curmudgeon in town. The library and parks items always pass, the schools
don't. You can try again in six months so the school funding comes up
every six months and gets shot down every six months. They're like the
kids they are supposedly teaching; ask enough times and eventually Mom
will screw up and say yes.

Everyone should pay to have their own kids educated.

Pity about those who don't have anything to pay with.

Can't afford it? Don't have kids or have stupid kids

Who the state has to pay benefits to for 'life'

or teach them yourself.

If they are that stupid, that isnt going to work.

Old September 25th 18, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 01:28:44 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 21:51:38 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 23:52:22 +0100, soup
wrote:

On 16/09/2018 20:17, Rod Speed wrote:

Because even deserts get rain.
https://www.ancient-origins.es/sites...ustralia-1.jpg

Some deserts even get snow.

https://www.universetoday.com/27064/...sert-on-earth/

"a desert is a region that is simply very dry because its receives
little
to no water"

That is a stupid definition, there are in fact none that receive no
water
at
all.

"deserts are characterized by little to no moisture"
Snow is frozen water. It has loads. So the example in the photo is
not
desert.

You're wrong, as always.

A desert is like the Sahara -

That is just one form of desert.

virtually no rain, **** all grows.

Ditto.

It's the meaning of the word everyone normally uses.

Only the pig ignorant fools like you.

Old September 25th 18, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

Rod Speed posted for all of us...

Ours have always done that. This other automatic scanning
and counting is a new feature that not all of the ATMs have.
It also rejects notes it doesn't like and it rejected one with
very small folded corner. Apparently it will accept those if
you unfold the corner and try again, but I only found out
about that after I put that one back in my wallet.

Our notes are all plastic now, we gave up on paper ones
years ago now.

I haven't done that since my employer
finally figured out direct deposit.

Ours all did that before ATMs showed up.

Do you get the question paper or plastic? (Like in grocery stores in the
USA)

--
Tekkie
Old September 25th 18, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
Rod Speed posted for all of us...

Ours have always done that. This other automatic scanning
and counting is a new feature that not all of the ATMs have.
It also rejects notes it doesn't like and it rejected one with
very small folded corner. Apparently it will accept those if
you unfold the corner and try again, but I only found out
about that after I put that one back in my wallet.

Our notes are all plastic now, we gave up on paper ones
years ago now.

I haven't done that since my employer
finally figured out direct deposit.

Ours all did that before ATMs showed up.

Do you get the question paper or plastic? (Like in grocery stores in the
USA)

Yes, it does ask how you want to pay, cash or card, and also
a mixed payment, normally used with gift cards but you can
also pay with cash and card for when you want to get rid of
what coins you have and pay the rest with the card.

Old September 25th 18, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Not really an important word in the UK.
Old September 25th 18, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 19:28:09 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

They shouldn't have kids.

Can't afford it? Don't have kids or have stupid kids

Who the state has to pay benefits to for 'life'

They shouldn't pay them.

or teach them yourself.

If they are that stupid, that isnt going to work.

Then they shouldn't have kids.
Old September 25th 18, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 19:25:49 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 02:38:14 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/24/2018 02:00 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
I assume you mean when paying by cash. I've never seen a cash pump in
the UK. I use a debit card, I put it in first, then it charges me for
however much gas I take.

This was the first one I've seen that takes cash and it was at a station
that just opened this summer.

In France I came across something very annoying, especially as I couldn't
read the notice telling me what to do. You paid to the cashier woman, but
you had to go give her your card first, to prevent petrol theft.

It doesn't prevent petrol theft because you can
just give her a maxed out or cancelled card.

I assume they do what the machine does and check the balance first. Something weird happens with our machines, I think they take £100 from your card when you insert it, then refund what you don't use out of that when you've finished. You don't have to reinsert the card. Presumably if you only had £40 in the card, it would stop pumping at £40. I've never had a card with under £100 in it, and I've never tried to take more than £100 of petrol, so I don't know what it does.

On another occasion (in France) I wasn't watching the pump, but heard it
come on as I pressed the lever. When it stopped I went to pay, and they
refused to take my money. I left wondering why

they were giving me free petrol, then realised my tank was still
empty. The noise must have been for the other side.

This is what cyclists waste tax payers' money on James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] UK 123 February 12th 17 11:08 PM
Another waste of effort Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 2 September 21st 11 09:56 AM
So here is some total waste Anton Berlin Racing 6 August 4th 09 05:05 AM
Wot a waste [email protected] UK 11 February 28th 08 09:24 AM
Probably a waste of my time but its my time to waste Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 78 January 18th 07 12:30 AM