Road Rage in Glenhuntly rd Elsternwick.

Old July 14th 06, 02:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Paul (NCC/CS).

Default Road Rage in Glenhuntly rd Elsternwick.

Hi,

i'd like to post this here in case anyone else in the area has seen this guy before.
Please keep an eye out and get his number plate. I'm taking this to the Police at
the first opportunity.

Last night traveling east on Glenhuntly Rd right after turning left from Nepean
hwy, I became aware of a vehicle roaring it's engine and a driver screaming abuse.
A small jeep 4wd, soft top, blue, was roaring up to the car in front of it and slamming
it's brakes on at the last minute. The car in front of it was just behind me. It was
peak hour congested traffic. The woman in the car behind me was terrified. She
was being very courteous to me in giving me room on this narrow rd. And I thought
because she wasn't overtaking me, he was mad at her. So I waved at her to thank her.
At this the 4wd went ballistic and continued this extremely dangerous roar / brake
roar / brake thing. Plus screaming abuse. Eventually the woman was paralysed completely
with fear and stopped nearly dead in traffic. He then over took her on the wrong side of the
road ( peak hour ) at top speed and then came past me. I glared at him as i passed and
took a brief look at the plate. Still at this point it didn't dawn on me how serious this
was. As I got passed him the screaming abuse and engine roaring started again. This
time he threatened to outright kill me and run me down in his jeep. His voice echoing
round the street shops.

It was only then that i realised it was ME he was after and mad at. Not the other innocent
woman. Then it flashed through my memory that I think this guy has had a go at me
before in the same place!

I have no idea what i have done to this bloke. At times you may annoy a driver but
usually you are aware of the incident. But I have absolutely no idea what I did to this guy.
In any case it wouldn't justify the shear TERROR he put into the other motorists
and me last night.

I got off the main road then. I wanted out. Quickly I then realised I was in deserted side
streets with all manner of lights on me flashing away giving away my position. I turned them
off and made it home.

This guy is a maniac nut. He'll kill someone.

If any Melbourne cyclists see a vehicle matching this description please cautiously
get his number plate. And post it here or to me. I'll take this to the Police.

stay safe , if you can,
still shaking,
Pauly.

Paul

Old July 14th 06, 02:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
asterope

oh my!! im glad you are ok and opted out of the situation and got home
in one piece!

behaviour like this is just inexcusable, chances are he has hassled
many a cyclist before and has been reported before, so your going to
the police may actually land this guy in some deep poo.

seriously, his rage has nothing to do with you, he probably does it to
all cyclists.
his behaviour towards the woman in front also shows that he thinks the
road is his... people like this should not be driving, at all. ever.

i wish you luck and hope you dont have another run in with this guy! i
also hope the police do something about this because its just not on!

--
asterope

Old July 14th 06, 03:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
dtmeister

"Paul (NCC/CS)." wrote:

This guy is a maniac nut. He'll kill someone.

This sounds really serious. Personally, I'd invest some time in trying
to track him down. Are your commuting times fairly regular? If you think
you may have seen him before, maybe camp out near the incident point
(with bike well hidden and wearing something different to your normal
gear) and try and get his number.

--
..dt
Old July 14th 06, 05:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Paul (NCC/CS).

dtmeister wrote:

"Paul (NCC/CS)." wrote:

This guy is a maniac nut. He'll kill someone.

This sounds really serious. Personally, I'd invest some time in trying
to track him down. Are your commuting times fairly regular? If you think
you may have seen him before, maybe camp out near the incident point
(with bike well hidden and wearing something different to your normal
gear) and try and get his number.

yeah. it was scary.

I commute to work a few times a week around these times.

I'm going to try and get his number.

I also faxed this post to the local Police so they can look out
on their patrols.

thanks for the support to you and others,
Paul.

--
.dt

Paul

Old July 14th 06, 05:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound

That's just astonishing. I really do wonder how some people justify
their behaviour to themselves, never mind anyone else. Here's hoping he
gets what's coming to him.

--
Resound

Old July 14th 06, 05:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Paul (NCC/CS).

Resound wrote:

That's just astonishing. I really do wonder how some people justify
their behaviour to themselves, never mind anyone else. Here's hoping he
gets what's coming to him.

part of the trouble is actually getting the Police interested also.

Hopefully they will be if and when i get the number plate.

so far though I have rung them, faxed them, begged them,
but not much response.

we're horrified we cyclists,
but until there is a death, they're yawning.

it seems they always wait until it's too late.

pauly

--
Resound

Paul

Old July 14th 06, 06:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
dtmeister

"Paul (NCC/CS)." wrote:
we're horrified we cyclists,
but until there is a death, they're yawning.

Yes, if he'd pointed a gun at you, there'd be black choppers in the
skies. But of course, you can't seem to convince some people that a
cars are often intentionally used a deadly weapon to threaten and
in some cases kill. And a damned effective weapon at that. Kind of
like guns.

Take it easy, we've all been there.

--
..dt
Old July 14th 06, 08:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
AndrewJ

Don't assume the police will not take it seriously. If every driver and
cyclist report this driver, then it will be taken seriously. To me,
this falls under the "hoon driver" legislation that allows for
immediate confiscation of the car.

If this driver regularly behaves like this at known times and known
locations then it will only be a matter of time before his/her vehicle
is off the road.

The community won't tolerate this behaviour.

Old July 14th 06, 08:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
dtmeister

AndrewJ wrote:
Don't assume the police will not take it seriously. If every driver and
cyclist report this driver, then it will be taken seriously. To me,
this falls under the "hoon driver" legislation that allows for
immediate confiscation of the car.

If this driver regularly behaves like this at known times and known
locations then it will only be a matter of time before his/her vehicle
is off the road.

He doesn't have the rego. Strike one, they won't follow it up. Had it
been a gun pointed at him, and he still didn't have the rego, they'd
still investigate.

His word against the driver. Strike two. Had the driver been accussed
of pointing a gun, they'd work hard to be damned sure that when the
driver says "I don't have a gun" or "I didn't do it", that he's actually
telling the truth. Sometimes, if you have the rego and are persistant,
yes you can get lucky and they'll actually look into it and see if there
have been similar events in the past.

My take on this is that as a community we need to treat people who
threaten others with their car in the same boat as people who
threaten others with a firearm. They are both just as potentially
deadly if the threat is carried out. Once word gets out that the
police will treat this as criminal activity, I'd suggest this would
go a long way towards improving things. However it would take
signficantly more resources, and we're a minority group. I know
drivers threaten each other with their cars, but it's much more even
playing field in most cases, so they're probably less sensitive to
this as a real issue.

--
..dt
Old July 14th 06, 08:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

dtmeister wrote:

My take on this is that as a community we need to treat people who
threaten others with their car in the same boat as people who
threaten others with a firearm. They are both just as potentially
deadly if the threat is carried out.

They do, almost. This would be a case of assault, which is criminal. If
you feel intimidated by the threats, you've been assaulted. It gets
more serious if you are actually hit, because then you get the bodily
harm etc. You can't really say, "A car is like a firearm". Where does
that stop? You would have to rank pickaxes, razors, syringes, etc. That
stuff is all left to the magistrate in setting the penalty. And that's
where the problem seems to lie. The cops aren't interested in taking it
to court, because they know the perp will weasel out of it with no
conviction and a tiny fine. They will tell this to the complainant, who
then decides it's not worth the bother (it happened to me, after being
threatened by a guy who got out of his car with an iron bar).

Donga