Tubus Cosmo Rack = Expensive Crap for Posers

Old June 8th 11, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn °_°

Default Molded, Not Laid-up and Painted

On 6/7/2011 6:41 AM, john B. wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 22:27:00 -0500, T�m Sherm�n �_�
" wrote:

On 6/6/2011 9:26 PM, James wrote:
T�m Sherm�n �_� wrote:
On 6/6/2011 6:41 PM, James wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Jun 6, 10:12 am, T?m Sherm?n ?_?""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:

Here are some of the prototype batch cruising Melbourne:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/5139555796_f5f5d2450a.jpg.

Average Australian motorists in their 400bhp V8 utes will have ball
hunting those down.

Like

http://www.bnsute.com.au/bs-ute/b-and-s-ute/

or more specifically,

http://www.beaututes.com/gallery/data/517/DSC_0080.JPG

and

http://www.beaututes.com/gallery/dat...um/495ras1.jpg

In the US, only rednecks would be seen in vehicles such as those.

What about this then,

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ILUX2Small.jpg

or

http://noosacarshop.com/assets/image...ct-bullbar.jpg

Here, your 4x4 isn't really a 4x4 until it's got a bullbar, winch, a set
of spotties, snorkel, oversize mud tyres, 2+ inch suspension lift, high
lift jack, oversize noisy exhaust, side steps and bars, air compressor
and aerials for talking to the RFDS [1].

None of which makes up for the owners not knowing how to drive properly
off-road.

Taking it offroad is optional, indeed undesirable if you live near Toorak.

Nothing worse than people who buy SUVs for image only.

If you don't have a bullbar, this is what happens...

http://aphs.worldnomads.com/travel-tips/17484/roo.jpg

Whatever happened to the idea of collision avoidance?

[1] http://www.flyingdoctor.org.au/

Metal bull-bars should be outlawed, due to the significantly greater
danger they pose to cyclists and pedestrians.

Sherman, don't be obtuse. Why did you think they installed the things?

Compensation for sexual inadequacy.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old June 8th 11, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn °_°

Default OT - Road Kill

On 6/7/2011 12:05 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
James wrote:
If you don't have a bullbar, this is what happens...
http://aphs.worldnomads.com/travel-tips/17484/roo.jpg

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Do you get to keep it?

Under new Wisconsin deer regulations, one must notify the DNR who will
issue a post hoc deer tag ( different from a hunter's deer tag) and yes,
the venison is yours.

In WI, cars hitting deer lead to about 10 human deaths, about a hundred
humans crippled or maimed, 600 to 800 injured from about 16,000 reported
car-deer collisions. 'Reported' being a lot less than 'total' (the
farther north one travels, the smaller proportion of deer crash
incidents get reported at all).
[...]

Wisconsin did (does?) have a program where the DOT would pay for people
to pick up deer carcasses from the right-of-way. Pretty nasty in the
summer when the flies and maggots have had a couple of days to go to work.

Old June 8th 11, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn °_°

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Do you get to keep it?

Under new Wisconsin deer regulations, one must notify the
DNR who will issue a post hoc deer tag ( different from a
hunter's deer tag) and yes, the venison is yours.

I think the laws are similar in Ohio. I know for sure that one friend
of mine found a recently killed deer on our suburban highway, about a
quarter mile from our houses. He immediately called the cops and did
the paperwork so he could claim the meat.

We happen to have several acres of woods between his house and ours,
and the deer come out of there to decimate the landscaping and
gardens, unless strong measures (tall fences, stinky repellents, etc.)
are taken.

As with Canada Geese, it seems weird to me: Everyone acknowledges
these things are over-populated and are serious pests. People
frequently debate what to do about the problem. But isn't the
solution obvious? They're edible! [...]

Dr. Swift agrees that the over-population of pests could be solved by
eating them: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1080.

Old June 8th 11, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 8/06/2011 6:21 AM, Blue Heeler wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

I wonder, do Australians commonly eat kangaroo?

Not really. Some restaurants have it, but it's not real common in the
butchers. Many Australians live in cities and have sensibilities when
it comes to eating the animal that appears on their coat of arms. Emu
is in a similar category.

White man in Australia have improved the grazing opportunities for
kangaroos, and the permanent water availability. Many animals are more
prolific now than before white man came here. Ducks are another example.

Other animals have suffered great losses.

To quote Crocodile Dundee:- "you can, but it tastes like ****".

Was that about roo or fruit bat? I can't remember.

I've shot and eaten plenty of kangaroos. Didn't taste like **** to me,
not that I know what **** tastes like. I can only imagine from the smell.

I found the best meat was from young roo, and best if it wasn't a buck.
It is exceedingly lean and dries out if overcooked, similar to some
other game meats.

--
JS.
Old June 8th 11, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 8/06/2011 12:53 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 6, 10:26 pm, wrote:

If you don't have a bullbar, this is what happens...

http://aphs.worldnomads.com/travel-tips/17484/roo.jpg

Do you get to keep it?

Strictly speaking, no.

It is a protected (not well enough in this case ;-) native animal.

To have one in your possession requires permits, etc.

--
JS.
Old June 8th 11, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn °_°

On 6/7/2011 8:56 PM, James wrote:
[...]
White man in Australia have improved the grazing opportunities for
kangaroos, and the permanent water availability. Many animals are more
prolific now than before white man came here. Ducks are another example.[...]

Not to mention rabbits [1] and mice [2].

[1] http://www.feralscan.org.au/images/rabbit/rabbit_plague.jpg.
[2] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3478/3790531234_cee5ba5c1a.jpg

Old June 8th 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 8/06/2011 12:09 PM, Tºm Shermªn °_° wrote:
On 6/7/2011 8:56 PM, James wrote:
[...]
White man in Australia have improved the grazing opportunities for
kangaroos, and the permanent water availability. Many animals are more
prolific now than before white man came here. Ducks are another
example.[...]

Not to mention rabbits [1] and mice [2].

[1] http://www.feralscan.org.au/images/rabbit/rabbit_plague.jpg.
[2] http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3478/3790531234_cee5ba5c1a.jpg

Yeah, don't forget cane toads, fire ants and carp.

My point was that many native animals have prospered since white man
arrived here. Others not so much.

--
JS
Old June 8th 11, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Tubus Cosmo Rack = Expensive Crap for Posers

On Jun 7, 8:36*am, Helmut Springer wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
What you fail to grasp, Springer, is that I used to be in the
business of putting dreams in the heads of big spenders like you
(your fridge, your garage and your wardrobe is full of overpriced
crap I made you want)

I'm afraid you failed as misarably there as here.

You go naked then, Springer, and hungry, and you don't have transport?
Novel approach to bicycling, I'll say.

turn a blind eye to their faults, as you clearly do, every time,
to every German product.

I just happen to know those better than others, and I typically talk
about what I know.

We're waiting for the evidence of that. Take your time. Take all the
bandwidth you need. We're hanging on your very words. Show us that you
know something, anything, except to claim blindly that German products
are faultless.

Andre Jute
The soul of patience
Old June 8th 11, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jun 7, 11:15*am, Helmut Springer wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
In Germany cyclists may be all supermen with X-ray eyes but here
in Ireland (and elsewhere I daresay) we rather prefer to trust
designers to be sensible, a trust which in the Tubus Cosmo case
was betrayed.

I assume it wasn't an option to look at the spec, likehttp://www.tubus.com/images/stories/product/rearcarriers/cosmo/2008_0...

Thank you but I have that drawing. It was on hand of that drawing that
I asked technical support at Tubus if their rack would fit my bike,
and they replied that it would, which proved to be untrue because the
Tubus Cosmo could not be made to fit with standard fitting kit, such
as it is.

Furthermore, there is no way of working out from that drawing that the
lower rail is so angled, and spaced from the top rail, that the common
and very useful Basil pannier basket can't be fitted to the Cosmo
without mangling the hooks.

What this is about isn't that the Tubus Cosmo doesn't fit, which we
all agree on,

For very suitable values of "we" * 8)

Oh, it's just you who are out of step, Springer. The rest of us,
including Tubus, are agreed that the Cosmo doesn't fit the Utopia
Kranich. Why, otherwise, would Tubus tell me, when I complained, to
buy the extra fitting kit? Still doesn't make the Cosmo fit very well,
but hey, near enough is good enough, the new German way.

Pity it isn't my way.

Andre Jute
Old June 8th 11, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Do you get to keep it?

Under new Wisconsin deer regulations, one must notify the DNR who will
issue a post hoc deer tag ( different from a hunter's deer tag) and yes,
the venison is yours.

In WI, cars hitting deer lead to about 10 human deaths, about a hundred
humans crippled or maimed, 600 to 800 injured from about 16,000 reported
car-deer collisions. 'Reported' being a lot less than 'total' (the
farther north one travels, the smaller proportion of deer crash
incidents get reported at all).
[...]

Wisconsin did (does?) have a program where the DOT would pay for people
to pick up deer carcasses from the right-of-way. Pretty nasty in the
summer when the flies and maggots have had a couple of days to go to work.

In a fit of rationality, letting the driver just take it is
less wasteful and much less expensive. We aren't going to
run out of deer any time soon. We're infested with the
damned things - rats with antlers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Tubus rack extension Keiron[_5_] Techniques 8 September 29th 10 09:24 PM
Tubus Cosmo Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 0 September 11th 10 07:24 AM
Tubus Cargo Rack Bill the Cat Australia 2 April 10th 08 03:03 PM
new tubus locc rack [email protected] General 0 August 31st 05 11:14 AM
Tubus Logo Rack Brian UK 2 November 30th 04 08:10 AM