1 foot ww ---> gliding...how do you keep your speed up?

Old August 23rd 04, 08:18 AM
tennisgh22

Default 1 foot ww ---> gliding...how do you keep your speed up?

I am decent at 1 ft ww and ready to learn gliding, but I am running into
some problems.

To begin 1 ft ww, I pedal until my right foot is in the 12oclock
position and my left foot is in the 6oclock position. Then, I bring my
right foot up onto the tire. Last, I bring my left foot onto the frame.
The first move I make with my right foot is pushing the wheel forward.
To glide, I need to get up a lot of speed before the top of the hill.
However, I can't seem to find a way to get my left foot on the frame
when the first move I make with my right foot is dragging on the tire,
not pushing it. What suggestions do you have for getting into the "glide
position" while keeping my speed up? I want to know if you take your
right foot off the pedal first or your left foot. Hope this all made
some sense.

-grant

--
tennisgh22 - Haha you fool

The word gullible is written above my avatar!
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

Old August 23rd 04, 08:30 AM
TheBadger587

first off, find a slope, it will make your life easier.

here's how i learned gliding from 1ft wheel walk. it felt like i was
learning it on phases- these phases were
1. 1 foot wheel walking quickly and occasionally gliding to a stop using
LOTS of foot pressure, and only going 2 feet. before falling off the
front.
2. using less foot pressure and not being able to keep balanced, and
falling off the back.
3. able to balance with lighter foot pressure, going further and further
with each attempt
4. able to glide. leaning forward, use less pressure, go faster. when
leaning backward, use more pressure, slow down. vary those two for
extended glides. i've been able to glide for about 3 weeks now, so don't
take me too seriously. it's like anything else... practice relentlessly
and you'll get it. if you don't, you wont. for me, learning gliding was
about 4 times more frustruating than learning 1ft wheel walking.

--
TheBadger587 - HSG/DH MUni (Represent?)

Gliding, finally.

AIM:TheBadger587
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

Old August 23rd 04, 08:56 AM
nickvb123

What suggestions do you have for getting into the "glide position"
while keeping my speed up?

I have 2 ways of getting into glide

method 1:

1. Ride along as fast as i can (this only comes with practise start
slowly).
2. Take gliding foot off first when its closest to the wheel
3. Frame foot goes onto frame
4. Glide away.

It takes a fraction of a second to do this, the gap between the feet
coming off pedals is almost nothing.

method 2:

1. Ride 1ft really fast with the frame foot overlapping onto the tyre
2. Take foot off pedal.
3. Other foot goes onto frame or hangs out back depending on whether i'm
leg extended.
4. Glide out

This is gliding with the foot on the frame overlapping onto the tyre.
This may seem harder but its better for gliding on flatland. The
transition is much easier as well. Once you get good at this you'll find
the foot only touches tyre when it needs to - good build up to
coasting.

I want to know if you take your right foot off the pedal first or your
left foot

What ever works for you. People do it either way.

--
nickvb123 - Freestyler

"He jumped off that with his one wheeled bike"
nickvb123's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5926

Old August 23rd 04, 09:17 AM
Robbie

I assume most people have their gliding foot the same foot as they
prefer to one foot ww with right?

--
Robbie - Street Unicyclist

[image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums...-900/dr_z.gif]