A new bike shop in town

Old June 6th 04, 01:16 AM
Mike Kruger

Default A new bike shop in town

I'd heard that there was a new bike shop in town, located a block from where
the venerable old Schwinn shop closed earlier this year. Since there have
been long recent threads on bike shop treatment, I thought I'd share this
experience.

The shop was small. Only Giant seemed to be carried. There was a narrow
range of styles: Sedona, Rincon -- mountain, comfort, and hybrid -- but
there seemed to be a good range of frame sizes in these styles.

I was there maybe 7 minutes and the one staffer (likely the owner) paid no
attention to me at all. (See other thread about being ignored in a bike
shop.)

But wait. There was an old bike up in the work stand -- an inexpensive bike
with steel rims. The staffer was truing the wheel, patiently both answering
questions and explaining how wheel truing worked to a preteen boy who stood
nearby. He threw in a little bit of advice about steel versus aluminum rims.
It was a nice man-boy moment.

From this brief encounter, I'm not sure the guy has enough financial backing
or retail skills to make a go of it, but it was hard not to wish him well.

--
---
Mike Kruger