Socks?

Old March 14th 05, 12:22 AM
jyatsko

Default Socks?

Cool Max or Merino "Smart Wool" socks? My wife and I ride 30 to 50 miles at
a time. Usually on trails. My longest ride last year as a 2 day self
contained camping trip. We are planning a 200 mile 4 day trip this year.
looking for some help for our feet.

Old March 14th 05, 01:00 AM
Chris Neary

Cool Max or Merino "Smart Wool" socks? My wife and I ride 30 to 50 miles at
a time. Usually on trails. My longest ride last year as a 2 day self
contained camping trip. We are planning a 200 mile 4 day trip this year.
looking for some help for our feet.

I use both, depending on temperatu Smartwool "RBX Racer's" for cool
weather riding (anything under 60 degrees), and Defeet Air-E-Ator's for
anything warmer.

If I had to pick one or other for a trip such as you are planning, I would
lean toward a wool sock since it is a much better choice if they get wet.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old March 14th 05, 02:35 AM
Tom Sherman

jyatsko wrote:

Cool Max or Merino "Smart Wool" socks? My wife and I ride 30 to 50 miles at
a time. Usually on trails. My longest ride last year as a 2 day self
contained camping trip. We are planning a 200 mile 4 day trip this year.
looking for some help for our feet.

Color coordinate with you bike. See
http://www.ransbikes.com/Gallery/Archive/Sherman.htm.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Illinois)

Old March 14th 05, 02:38 AM
Pat

"jyatsko" wrote in message
: Cool Max or Merino "Smart Wool" socks? My wife and I ride 30 to 50 miles
at
: a time. Usually on trails. My longest ride last year as a 2 day self
: contained camping trip. We are planning a 200 mile 4 day trip this year.
: looking for some help for our feet.

You didn't say WHERE you are going to ride. I like the Smart Wool socks, but
in the summertime here in Texas, it is just too darned hot to wear wool
socks (for long).

Pat in TX

Old March 14th 05, 05:18 PM
Matt O'Toole

jyatsko wrote:

Cool Max or Merino "Smart Wool" socks? My wife and I ride 30 to 50
miles at a time. Usually on trails. My longest ride last year as a 2
day self contained camping trip. We are planning a 200 mile 4 day
trip this year. looking for some help for our feet.

I have both. Smartwool rules.

Matt O.

Old March 15th 05, 01:05 AM
jyatsko

Whe Greenbrier Trail, West Virginia
When: week of July 4th
I live in western Pa, just east of Pittsburgh. Last summer was one of the
coolest on record, we never broke 90 degrees. It can still get pretty cool
at nights even thru the middle of summer. From what I've read, the smart
wool socks will also help to keep your feet cool. This sock thing is totally
new to me. Thanks for any info.

Old March 15th 05, 04:03 AM
Pat

"jyatsko" wrote in message
: Whe Greenbrier Trail, West Virginia
: When: week of July 4th
: I live in western Pa, just east of Pittsburgh. Last summer was one of the
: coolest on record, we never broke 90 degrees. It can still get pretty cool
: at nights even thru the middle of summer. From what I've read, the smart
: wool socks will also help to keep your feet cool. This sock thing is
totally
: new to me. Thanks for any info.

Then, smart wool it is. When it was 90+ here last summer, they baked my
feet! But, where you are, they will give you a springy feel to your feet.

Pat in TX
:
:

Old March 15th 05, 03:02 PM
Claire Petersky

"Pat" wrote in message

"jyatsko" wrote in message

: at nights even thru the middle of summer. From what I've read, the smart
: wool socks will also help to keep your feet cool. This sock thing is
totally
: new to me. Thanks for any info.

Then, smart wool it is. When it was 90+ here last summer, they baked my
feet! But, where you are, they will give you a springy feel to your feet.

I always wear smartwools for long bike rides. When it got over 90 degrees on
a long (120 mile) ride this summer, I was still grateful for them. They wick
and they cushion. If I wear those thin bike socks for 50+ mile rides, I get
hot foot from the vibration.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
See the books I've set free at:

Old March 16th 05, 12:26 AM
Dane Jackson

Matt O'Toole wrote:
jyatsko wrote:

Cool Max or Merino "Smart Wool" socks? My wife and I ride 30 to 50
miles at a time. Usually on trails. My longest ride last year as a 2
day self contained camping trip. We are planning a 200 mile 4 day
trip this year. looking for some help for our feet.

I have both. Smartwool rules.

Wool socks are the bomb.
I mostly confine my retro-grouchery to wool socks.
Well wool socks and bar-end shifters.
Okay, wool socks, bar-cons, and steel frames.
Well, maybe the socks, bar-cons, steel frames, and carradice bags.

Oh god. Someone stop me before I put a Brooks saddle on my bike,
start wearing wool jerseys, stop shaving and move to Canada to live
with the yaks.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Today's thrilling story has been brought to you by Mushies, the great new
Old March 16th 05, 04:15 AM
Pat

..
:
: Oh god. Someone stop me before I put a Brooks saddle on my bike,
: start wearing wool jerseys, stop shaving and move to Canada to live
: with the yaks.
:
: --
: Dane Jackson -

Is that what they call out of work hockey players in Canada?

Pat in TX

Heated socks Ningi UK 29 February 27th 05 10:31 PM
Campy X-static socks Fastest Socks in the Known Universe™ Johnny Giro Recumbent Biking 0 February 1st 05 05:07 PM
Hamilton's New Socks B. Lafferty Racing 14 December 11th 04 04:39 AM
polartec socks Claire Petersky General 22 September 21st 04 10:56 PM
Cycling socks Adam Bender General 11 July 27th 04 10:01 PM