Burglars Steal High-End Bicycles In Cincinnati

Old May 24th 11, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Garrison Hilliard

Default Burglars Steal High-End Bicycles In Cincinnati

Some Tri-State cyclists are willing to pay thousands of dollars for
just the right bicycle. But there are thieves who know this. Those
crooks seem to know just what part of town to find and steal the
expensive two-wheelers. At least 13 times so far this month, bikes
disappeared from homes in Hyde Park, Mount Lookout and Oakley.

Deborah Dixon tells us, homeowners made it too easy for the thieves.

Detective Jill Schramm is investigating yet another burglary and
another bike theft from another unattached garage on this Hyde Park
street. Like most of the dozen other cases, you can see here on this
crime map, the garage door was left open.

Det. Jill Schramm, Cincinnati Police: "There are a lot of nice bikes.
They know that. That's why they keep coming to Hyde Park. So easy to
correct... yea, if the bike is that nice, I'd take it in the house
with me."

A high end bike was stolen next door, too, but Katie Robinson says her
roommate made it too easy for the thief.

Katie Robinson, Hyde Park: "She didn't put her bike away. It was her
fault, we feel secure in Hyde Park, wouldn't expect that to happen."

Deborah Dixon: "There is nothing similar about the bikes, some
everyday trail bikes, others high end, custom made mountain bikes,
worth thousands of dollars."

Kelly Sullivan, Bishops Bicycles, Milford: "We hear everyday people
having bikes stolen, customers call, will ask for serial numbers."

Bishops Bicycles has been in business in Milford since 1880. When it
comes to stolen bikes, independent bike dealers communicate quickly.

"We immediately, all across Cincinnati, put a description and we're on
watch for it."

Thieves sometimes try to sell bikes to bike shops. Police are checking
them and Craigslist. Burglars know the neighborhoods where people feel
so safe they don't bother locking doors, and that's where they go.
Police say there's really no way to track down the stolen bikes,
unless you have the serial number.

There is a reward for information about the thieves. Call
CrimeStoppers at 352-3040. Tipsters are identified by code numbers.

http://www.local12.com/news/local/st...LSMQDrKsw.cspx