These shoes are rank

Old September 7th 03, 12:57 PM
Kolaga Xiuhtecuhtli

Default These shoes are rank

My Diadora Cosmo's are rank. What should I do?

Old September 7th 03, 07:14 PM
Sorni

"Kolaga Xiuhtecuhtli" wrote in message

My Diadora Cosmo's are rank. What should I do?

Hose 'em down, add a little dishwashing liquid, scrub a bit, hose some more,
leave out to dry. (You can put the insoles & laces in the washing machine,
too.)

Bill "shoes don't stink, but gloves another story" S.

Old September 8th 03, 03:12 AM
Jiyang Chen

"Kolaga Xiuhtecuhtli" wrote in message
My Diadora Cosmo's are rank. What should I do?

Use the Febreeze deodorizer sprays will help somewhat.

Jiyang

Old September 8th 03, 07:32 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 07 Sep 2003 11:57:05 GMT, ,
Kolaga Xiuhtecuhtli wrote:

My Diadora Cosmo's are rank. What should I do?

There are industrial duty enzyme based cleaners which might work.
They'll supposedly take out the smell left by decaying dead bodies.

You could try filling the shoes with dry clay or baking soda and
leaving them for a few days.
--
zk
Old September 9th 03, 02:19 AM
Rick Onanian

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 11:57:05 GMT, Kolaga Xiuhtecuhtli
wrote:

My Diadora Cosmo's are rank. What should I do?

Use them to repel vampires. That's about
all I can do with any of my shoes after
I've worn them for a few months.

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 9th 03, 04:04 AM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 02:48:37 GMT, Buck" u n k m a i l g a l a x y c o r p .
c o m @ wrote:
good points snipped
immensly. Cotton socks and foot powder will help absorb the moisture. If

Cotton socks get so hot and swampy. Performance
fabrics, like found in Dhalgren hiking socks,
feel slightly better.

have really sweaty feet, change your socks mid-day. And always try to

Changing my socks helps. Wearing sandals with
no socks as much as possible helps more.

wear
some socks even when you aren't wearing your shoes. Bare feet pick up
bacteria from everywhere. Finally, be sure to bleach your socks in the
wash.

Bare feet don't sweat or get stinky. Same goes
for almost-bare feet in sandals. Then, when I
wear shoes for an hour, I do okay. If I wear
them for a few hours, though...no amount of
foot powder, antibacterial insoles, and
expensive socks helps.

I will pay more attention to scrubbing my feet
and bleaching my socks.

I'm not quite this fastidious, but my shoes rarely smell despite being
cooped up most of the day.

Good luck,
Buck

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 9th 03, 07:13 PM
Buck

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 02:48:37 GMT, Buck" u n k m a i l g a l a x y c o r p

..
c o m @ wrote:
good points snipped
immensly. Cotton socks and foot powder will help absorb the moisture. If

Cotton socks get so hot and swampy. Performance
fabrics, like found in Dhalgren hiking socks,
feel slightly better.

Only if your shoes aren't airy enough. Perhaps you are lacing them way too
tight. I also find that it helps if you walk around occasionally. The motion
moves fresh air through the shoes.

have really sweaty feet, change your socks mid-day. And always try to

Changing my socks helps. Wearing sandals with
no socks as much as possible helps more.

Bare feet on sandals can get just as nasty as a shoe or even worse if you
wear them anywhere near dirt. They have a greater opportunity to air out,
but I've seen (and smelled) plenty of nasty feet wandering around during the
summer. The worst are the ones whose feet are actually sticking to the
sandles and make a shlurping noise as they walk. Ewwww!

Bare feet don't sweat or get stinky. Same goes
for almost-bare feet in sandals.

See my notes above about bare feet in sandals. Bare feet in general pick up
bacteria which are then transferred into your shoes. Then your feet get
sweaty and the process starts again. If you are in the habit of wearing
shoes without socks, or walking around barefoot before putting on your
shoes, then it is no wonder that you are having problems. Try this for a
week and get back to us: first, be sure your shower stall and your bathroom
floor are both very clean. Scrub them down, dry them, then apply an
anti-bacterial spray like lysol. Second, when you shower, clean your feet
very well with an anti-bacterial soap. Dry them thoroughly. Third, before
you walk around, put on a pair of clean socks. Don't walk around barefoot.
You have already seeded your home with bacteria and fungus by walking around
barefoot. Avoid picking up the gunk on your freshly cleaned feet. your
shoes should be thoroughly cleaned as well and allowed to air out at least
overnight. Alternating between several pairs of shoes is also helpful.

Before your feet get too swampy in your shoes, air them out a bit by
walking, then plan on changing socks mid-day. If you have to, take your
shoes off when at your desk (but keep those socks on, buddy!).

Being fastidious about your feet will keep the swampy smell at bay. I've had
to deal with this myself and with a couple of old roommates. Believe me,
there is no need for smelly feet. It is all about changing some habits. I
used to stay barefoot all the time (and had some pretty smelly feet as
well), but now I'm always wearing socks, cleaning my feet, and the smelly
foot sydrome is kept at bay.

-Buck

Old September 9th 03, 08:29 PM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 18:13:27 GMT, Buck" u n k m a i l g a l a x y c o r p .
c o m @ wrote:
Cotton socks get so hot and swampy. Performance

Only if your shoes aren't airy enough. Perhaps you are lacing them way
too
tight. I also find that it helps if you walk around occasionally. The
motion moves fresh air through the shoes.

I have been lacing tighter lately, but my
issues pre-date that habit.

I don't have a desk-all-day job; rather, I
do get some walking in. However, I can't
seem to find any shoes that breathe at all,
especially with cotton socks.

Bare feet on sandals can get just as nasty as a shoe or even worse if you
wear them anywhere near dirt. They have a greater opportunity to air out,
but I've seen (and smelled) plenty of nasty feet wandering around during
summer. The worst are the ones whose feet are actually sticking to the
sandles and make a shlurping noise as they walk. Ewwww!

Ick. Mine do nicely in sandals, and do
better in shoes because I wear sandals
so much.

sweaty and the process starts again. If you are in the habit of wearing
shoes without socks, or walking around barefoot before putting on your
shoes, then it is no wonder that you are having problems. Try this for a

I never wear shoes without socks, and I
rarely walk outside without footwear.

Alternating between several pairs of shoes is also helpful.

This is the single best thing I can do;
but I never remember to, except when I'm
too busy to do it.

Before your feet get too swampy in your shoes, air them out a bit by
walking, then plan on changing socks mid-day. If you have to, take your

That helps, much like switching shoes.

shoes off when at your desk (but keep those socks on, buddy!).

I wear sandals when I'm going to be at
my desk for a while.

Being fastidious about your feet will keep the swampy smell at bay. I've

snip
well), but now I'm always wearing socks, cleaning my feet, and the smelly
foot sydrome is kept at bay.

Well, with all your scientific and detailed
advice (greatly appreciated!), I've come to
the conclusion that:

-My major problem is discomfort from heat
inside the shoes

-The smelly shoe issue was when I wore
shoes all day every day; it is greatly
improved now that I no longer do that

I think I just have very hot, sweaty feet,
but no excessive bacterial/fungal problem.

I used to have a bacterial problem, I think,
evidenced by my ingrown toenail, which used
to be infected with my previous habits, but
no longer is with my current, sandal-favoring
habits.

And now that we've made everybody in the
newsgroup vomit, as well as ruined any chance
I'll ever have of selling used cycling shoes
(hah!), we'll try to head back towards being
on-topic... I can't wait to try my new SPD
sandals.

-Buck

--
Rick Onanian