If it walks like a duck, and it isn't a duck . . .

Old September 11th 03, 04:33 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default If it walks like a duck, and it isn't a duck . . .

Would it be safe to say that the extra 80 grams is all due to the sole on
the
Dominator?

I'd say that's a reasonable assumption. They're still quite light, but the
Sidi Genius 4 (the road shoe) turns out to be a bit heavy compared to some
of the other road competiton. I guess that's what surprised me most.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 11th 03, 12:31 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
Why do you need side support?

Obviously, some people don't. For myself, I prefer a connection between
cleat and shoe that's very solid. When I use my mountain bike shoes &
pedals (spd) in the winter, I simply don't like the way they feel (compared
to either LOOK or Speedplay). That's me, obviously your mileage may vary.

However, as light as the Sidi MTB shoes
are, they're still a fair amount heavier than the carbon-soled road

shoes
out there.

Got numbers?

Straight from the gram scale, moments ago-

Sidi Dominator (SPD-style), size 45 396 grams ($188.99)
Nike Ventoux (road), size 45 364 grams ($99.99)
Nike Altea (road), size 46 328 grams ($149.99)
Sidi Genius 4 (road), size 45 316 grams ($188.99)
Nike Poggio (road), size 45.5 288 grams ($179.99)
Nike Poggio II (road), size 45 282 grams ($219.99)

These weights are per shoe (not a pair). For the Sidi Genius 4, they do not
take into account the weight of the adapter plate needed for the various
pedals (except Speedplay, which mounts directly to the shoe). Frankly, I'm
surprised; I thought the Sidi Dominator was closer in weight to the
similarly-priced road bike shoes.

Well, 100 grams isn't very much; it's only 1.6 oz, so you probably
don't notice the difference unless you hold one of them in each hand
and look for it.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old September 11th 03, 12:34 PM
Peter Cole

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote in
message .. .

Straight from the gram scale, moments ago-

Sidi Dominator (SPD-style), size 45 396 grams ($188.99)
Nike Ventoux (road), size 45 364 grams ($99.99)
Nike Altea (road), size 46 328 grams ($149.99)
Sidi Genius 4 (road), size 45 316 grams ($188.99)
Nike Poggio (road), size 45.5 288 grams ($179.99)
Nike Poggio II (road), size 45 282 grams ($219.99)

These weights are per shoe (not a pair). For the Sidi Genius 4, they do not
take into account the weight of the adapter plate needed for the various
pedals (except Speedplay, which mounts directly to the shoe). Frankly, I'm
surprised; I thought the Sidi Dominator was closer in weight to the
similarly-priced road bike shoes.

I'm not surprised. The Genius 4 is 80 g/pr (20%) lighter, the adapters must be
30 g/pr or so, that means the tread is perhaps an 25 g (1 ounce) per shoe,
about what I'd estimate. I'll gladly make that small tradeoff for walkability.
I suspect that the 20% weight difference between MTB and road shoes of similar
technology probably holds over price ranges, although there probably aren't
MTB shoes corresponding to the ultra-high-end road shoes (I haven't seen a
carbon-soled MTB shoe). I guess (judging from our different reactions) 20% is
insignificant to some, and a catastrophe to others. It's great to have some
numbers in any case. Thanks for taking the time to provide them.

Old September 11th 03, 12:58 PM
Peter Cole

"RU" wrote in message

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
have a pair of Sidi MTB shoes which are nearly the same weight as my Sidi

road
shoes, the tread is minimal, but reasonably effective. I never wear the

road
shoes anymore because they're so impractical off the bike.

Since I'm in the market for a new pair of MTB shoes (for my road bike!), and
this sounds like a recommendation if I ever heard one, ......

What Sidi MTB shoes are these?

Dominators. I actually don't like these for off-roading, since the tread
material is quite hard and a bit slippery on rock. I like Northwave MTB shoes
better as a light shoe for off-roading. For road riding, I like the
Dominators, they're very stiff, even in the size I wear, the maximum 52. The
construction of the Sidi road & MTB models seems very similar, with the
addition of a (rather minimal) tread the seeming only substantial difference.