pool of sharks

Old July 9th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
greggery peccary

Default pool of sharks

attitudes about bicyclists sometimes confound me. for example: i had a crash
recently and made a visit to the ER at the hospital where i work. it wasnt a
bad injury but i was worried about the ligaments. the doctor said : "dont
you know bicycles are dangerous" to which i suggested "you are swimming in a
pool of man eating sharks pointing at a lobster and saying it's dangerous".

Old July 9th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Marlene Blanshay

greggery peccary wrote:
attitudes about bicyclists sometimes confound me. for example: i had a crash
recently and made a visit to the ER at the hospital where i work. it wasnt a
bad injury but i was worried about the ligaments. the doctor said : "dont
you know bicycles are dangerous" to which i suggested "you are swimming in a
pool of man eating sharks pointing at a lobster and saying it's dangerous".

you might point out that more people die in car accidents than bike
accidents, and this doctor most likely has a car.
Old July 9th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:19:28 -0400, Marlene Blanshay
wrote:

attitudes about bicyclists sometimes confound me. for example: i had a crash
recently and made a visit to the ER at the hospital where i work. it wasnt a
bad injury but i was worried about the ligaments. the doctor said : "dont
you know bicycles are dangerous" to which i suggested "you are swimming in a
pool of man eating sharks pointing at a lobster and saying it's dangerous".

you might point out that more people die in car accidents than bike
accidents, and this doctor most likely has a car.

Laying in hospital a night nurse asked how I'd broken my leg. When I
said "bicycle", she right away had to interject "dangerous".
I reminded her that she'd seen more and worse injuries from
automobile collisions. She had to agree.
--
zk
Old July 10th 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

Zoot Katz wrote:

Laying in hospital a night nurse asked how I'd broken my leg. When I
said "bicycle", she right away had to interject "dangerous".
I reminded her that she'd seen more and worse injuries from
automobile collisions. She had to agree.

If "dangerous" means there is a possibility of being hurt then by
definition, if you end up on a gurney in an ER you were engaged in a
"dangerous" activity. Does that nurse also warn people with puncture
wounds on their hands of the "dangers" of knitting? Those needles look
pretty "dangerous" to me.

Regards,
Bob Hunt