Filmers Discussion Thread

Old July 18th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Default Filmers Discussion Thread

agentQ wrote:
Major motion pictures are being shot on DV for the sole reason "more can
be done" to what you are shooting.

Not the sole reason. Not needing to develop DV is a huge reason as well,
saving tons of time, and also some money.

Or you can look into the Panasonic HVX. I know very little about this
camera, other than the p2 cards are one of the best ways to handle HD
footage.

I'm not an expert on the p2 cards, but that's what Dan Heaton and Kevin
McMullen are using on their current video project, and he hates the
system. The cards are real expensive and limit them to 51 minutes of
recording at a time (then they have to download it). The card appears
to be in the PCMCIA format (like those slots in most laptops), and
probably has something similar to a CF card inside it. A plain old CF
card would probably be better, and a 16GB one is probably cheaper than
the 4GB p2 card they were using. So check into that or ask Dan if
you're looking to buy. In fact, he mentioned his camera may be for sale
after the project.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old July 18th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tyler_N

i just hit a pretty big setback on the video i had bin working on for
the past few weeks. My computer crashed and i lost all of my work. I
still have most of the clips but all my work is now gone. i have to
start over on my other computer. I wish i had backed up the data
somewhere.

--
Tyler_N

2nd*)---, '30ft Coaster~
'My latest video!' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_OZvXtRlgY)

vanpaun wrote:
It's all for the ladies....they like the clean shaven look on your uni's
lower parts

UniKid2 wrote:

dakoroman wrote:
analize

lol

'*MYSPACE*' (myspace.com/munirider)
Barnaby flavinhavin McButterfield
Old July 18th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

johnfoss wrote:
Not the sole reason. Not needing to develop DV is a huge reason as well,
saving tons of time, and also some money.

This is true, and even tho money is often an issue, it is more so with
smaller or indie films. There are certianly many reasons to use DV. As
HDV gets better and better the major film companies cant justify
spending more money. For most them a more expensive film often means a
bigger paycheck. For an indie film maker it is just the oposite.

johnfoss wrote:

I'm not an expert on the p2 cards, but that's what Dan Heaton and Kevin
McMullen are using on their current video project, and he hates the
system. The cards are real expensive and limit them to 51 minutes of
recording at a time (then they have to download it). The card appears
to be in the PCMCIA format (like those slots in most laptops), and
probably has something similar to a CF card inside it. A plain old CF
card would probably be better, and a 16GB one is probably cheaper than
the 4GB p2 card they were using. So check into that or ask Dan if
you're looking to buy. In fact, he mentioned his camera may be for sale
after the project.

Just because something is not super efficient does not mean it isnt the
best way to get HD to your computer. Yes they are pricey, yes you need a
bunch of them for longert shoots. However there is no other way to get
full HD from you camera to your computer. The only other option is
MiniDV which is a favorite to most, but still old technology and you
will always run the risk of dropped frames and slowing down your camera
with they way it needs to save to the DVC. Also if you know prosumer
cameras at all the biggest problem is the heads on a miniDV camera
wareing out. That problem is solved with using cards. Right now the P2
cards are pretty much the only ones that are doing what needs to be
done for High Def DV.

--
agentQ

'*)--SmallSpin-'O,*'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFMXG116BE)
'*)---TreFlip-'O,'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpT0YFDgmz4)
'*)--DoubbleFlip-'O,*'
(http://www.vimeo.com/683454)
---
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
Old July 18th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tyler_N

Tyler_N wrote:
i just hit a pretty big setback on the video i had bin working on for
the past few weeks. My computer crashed and i lost all of my work. I
still have *two* of the clips but all my work is now gone. i have to
start over on my other computer. I wish i had backed up the data
somewhere.

edited. I checked to see how many i actually lost and there are only
two clips left.

Old August 3rd 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
littleman

Do you guys uses lights mounted to your camera when filming or flood
lights. I'm debating on whether to buy a light mounted to my camera
because I've read bad reviews. How do you like your readylite 20
Graham?

--
littleman

http://sixsixone.com/
Old August 3rd 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

littleman wrote:
Do you guys uses lights mounted to your camera when filming or flood
lights. I'm debating on whether to buy a light mounted to my camera
because I've read bad reviews. How do you like your readylite 20
Graham?

if i were you, i'd go a floodlight, but i needed a coldshoe mounted one
since i'm gonna do more portable things. I havent had to use my light
yet, but its really bright.

if your going to buy it, buy 2 batterys. The readylights batterys go
dead really fast.

You can get a floodlight at a hardware store for cheaper than the
readylight lol.

--
unibikeling

'sixsixone - Great equipment for all riding!' (http://sixsixone.com/)
'
Come ride with me on August 22nd and 23rd!'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=71517), Please
contact me with the provided information, considering the thread is
locked.
Old August 3rd 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

Sam, one thing to keep in mind is that 24p footage doesn't necessarily
mean lots of motion blur, that's still dependant on the shutter speed.
If you want to match the feel of film as close as possible you need to
be shooting at 1/48 for your shutter speed to emulate a 180 degree
shutter plane. Shooting at the lower shutter speed is whats going to
give you the motion blur, if you shoot at a higher shutter speed in 24p
there will be less motion blur but you will start being able to see the
separate frames of the video and it would start to get choppy.

In short, just to be technical, its the shutter speed which determines
the motion blur not the frame rate.

--
Brian O.

*'ProjectUNI' (http://www.projectuni.com) - *The First Serious Unicycle
Computer Game** - Follow the 'progress.'
(http://www.projectuni.com)'Munimage - The Imagery of Mountain
Unicycling.'
Old August 4th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

Another thing to consider that may be causing the blur you speak of is
the need to perform pulldown removal on your 24p footage. Lots of
cameras actually put their 24p footage into a 60i stream inserting
interlaced fields so unless its being played on a TV you aren't seeing
actual 24p until you remove the pulldown.

Heres a screen grab from 24p footage before the pulldown removal:
[image: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/212/4...f9b562f_b.jpg]

and here it is after the pulldown removal:
[image: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/4...cb6db06_b.jpg]

Pulldown removal is also known as inverse telecine and its worth
looking into how your camera deals with 24p and whether or not you need
to perform pulldown removal. Sam, I'm pretty sure your camera, the XH-A1
needs pulldown removal on 24p footage.

Old August 20th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
surfer1024

So my Panasonic pv-gs320 came in the mail monday at noon. I paid $300
but am getting $75 back from windows live. It was practically new! The
camercorder had barely been used with no scratches or nothin. All the
cables and instruction manuals were still in sealed plastic bags! It
also came with a case, a bigger battery and a couple tapes.
Heres the ebay listing: http://tinyurl.com/693z4u

That afternoon I was excited to go riding and film some stuff. I got
some cool street clips and I was grinding handrails (5 set) a lot
better, sliding more than half of the rail. After that I took my muni,
camcorder with tripod, my dog and headed off to the forest preserve. I
filmed basically a whole muni movie with some 24" trials. The muni's
not that technical but it was fun and I got some good shots with my
dog. I rode street, trials and muni a total of about 5 hours.

I ordered a fisheye lens and a firewire card. I cant wait till I get
the firewire port so I can get these clips on the computer and edit
them. I also need to get a wide angle lens.

Final thoughts:
This camcorder is awesome! Great quality shots (especially when your
upgrading from a cheap 4 mp digital camera for movies).

--
surfer1024

*)--SmallSpin-'O,* 1st Place)---hickflip-'O,
Latest Vid: I wish I had 2 cents #f5f5f5
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70608