Segway - easy target for theft? (newbie question)

Old August 24th 03, 04:10 AM
SteveR8222

Default Segway - easy target for theft? (newbie question)

My friends and I were thinking of amassing some funds to buy a Segway Human
Transporter.

As fascinating a contraption that appears to be, I would be scared to death of
buying one.

Reasons:

1). It draws a lot of attention. Could you imagine rolling into every store in
town and being peppered with questions by curious onlookers? I imagine this
could be a pain. Apparently only a handful of people even have such an item.
I'm not so sure I would want such attention.

2). Easy target for muggers. As small as a Segway is, it would be easy to
steal. Can imagine buying one and it being ripped off as soon as I rip through
an alley. They are notoriously expensive (3-4 K?)

Would be interested in opinions. Thanks.
Old August 24th 03, 04:41 AM
Eric S. Sande

Would be interested in opinions. Thanks.

Segways aren't really relevant to this newsgroup. There has been
considerable off-topic discussion of them in the past, however,
go to the archives and search on "segway" and you'll get a fair
amount of opinions.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old August 24th 03, 07:18 AM
Zoot Katz

24 Aug 2003 03:10:29 GMT,
,
(SteveR8222) wrote:

Would be interested in opinions. Thanks.

By the time I got tired of answering questions, it would be a relief
having the thing stolen.
--
zk
Old August 25th 03, 05:22 PM
Jym Dyer

=v= This is a newsgroup for human-powered transportation on
an incredible device known as a bicycle. Why not find a
newsgroup devoted to motor-powered gizmos to discuss same?

=v= Note that the Segway and electric bicycles are hyped as
replacements for the car, yet somehow we're expected to devote
some of our bikeways and newsgroups to them. That seems like
the wrong approach for replacing cars.
_Jym_
Old September 10th 03, 01:42 PM
Peter Cole

"Chris Phillipo" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,

The problem is not the device, it's the back stabing grease ball with
all the connections that is trying and succeding to get tax payers money
to pay for thruways for these things and allow them on both bike paths
and sidewalks.

I don't see the problem. I'd much rather share a path or street, or sidewalk
(as a pedestrian) with a Segway than a roller blader. Given the price of the
technology, I doubt very much that conflict with Segways will ever become much
of an issue. Those gas-powered skateboards are a much bigger potential
problem, the big box stores are pumping them out at les than a tenth the price
of a Segway.